The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

tjv

Hi Erik, thanks for your thoughts!
Out of interest and in relation to VF blackout, was the camera set to save RAW only, or RAW + JPG? I've heard setting to RAW only pretty much eliminates blackout. Saving both in camera slows things up at present, apparently.
One day I'll get to try one for myself... Sigh...

KeithL

Yes Keith I did try it and my opinion is that to start with you have to press the af/mf button BEFORE you can use the control wheels to move the focus selection point. The first step was rather awkward and there was a lot of mistakes made, and using the control wheels was not fantastic either. I'm sure it will be easier with time, but nevertheless it is a rather poor solution when working with a subject who moves and when you want to change orientation.
Erik, thanks.

As you say it's perhaps something you come to master and accept but to me it smacks of reinventing the wheel.

;)

Hi Erik, thanks for your thoughts!
Out of interest and in relation to VF blackout, was the camera set to save RAW only, or RAW + JPG? I've heard setting to RAW only pretty much eliminates blackout. Saving both in camera slows things up at present, apparently.
One day I'll get to try one for myself... Sigh...
I used RAW only as I had read somewhere that it would be faster that way. I did not actually time it, but it was noticeable and felt like a long time. Relatively speaking of course :)

Erik, thanks.

As you say it's perhaps something you come to master and accept but to me it smacks of reinventing the wheel.

;)
To be honest this is reinventing the wheel in its very first iterations. Out of all the possible solutions, even though if it is workable, this must be the worst one :)

D&A

To be honest this is reinventing the wheel in its very first iterations. Out of all the possible solutions, even though if it is workable, this must be the worst one :)
To keep in the spirit of a clean industrial design ala Apple and which the X1D ascribes to, I wondered why they couldn't incorporate a very small unobtrusive, tastefully done joystick on the back of the body (possibly where the thumb falls), to quickly enable moving around the selected focus point?

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
To keep in the spirit of a clean industrial design ala Apple and which the X1D ascribes to, I wondered why they couldn't incorporate a very small unobtrusive, tastefully done joystick on the back of the body (possibly where the thumb falls), to quickly enable moving around the selected focus point?

Dave (D&A)
Maybe the whole thing of having a movable focus point was a afterthought. Cant think of everything :)

Don't get me wrong. It 'works', and I can live with it, but it does feel like they missed a trick here. :)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The VSUTDJ could be up where the AE-L, AF-D buttons are. That's where the Leica SL has one, and it's about the size of one of those buttons.

D&A

The VSUTDJ could be up where the AE-L, AF-D buttons are. That's where the Leica SL has one, and it's about the size of one of those buttons.
Maybe just to the right of the AF-D button?

The irony is DJI knows all about joysticks! :)

Dave (D&A)

DougDolde

Gotta wonder about the hideous looking painting on the wall behind Raber. Seems like he'd have one of his photographic prints hanging there.

Godfrey

Re: Kevin review on the X1D on LULA

Kevin is no reporter... Not a lot of fact checking evident. For instance:
2016 was a year of a lot of camera announcements. It got to be confusing with so many different choices, but it was obvious that mirrorless format was becoming a lot more popular. Leica announced a mirrorless camera— the Leica SL.
Um, Kevin? The Leica SL was announced in October 2015 and shipped to customers on November 16, 2015.

G

hcubell

Kevin is no reporter... Not a lot of fact checking evident. For instance:

Um, Kevin? The Leica SL was announced in October 2015 and shipped to customers on November 16, 2015.

G
Kevin also said that it's been over a year since the X1D was announced in describing the extent of the delay in shipments.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
And everything from KR was just delayed preprod camera stuff anyway.

nive to see at least ONE image posted in the other thread for X1D

Oh man you made me subscribe. That's $12 I'll never see again :)

- I left the battery in the X1D on the nights of: Friday, Saturday and Sunday and each morning the battery was at 100%.
- You press the AF/MF button for 1 second to unlock the focus point selection, not for 3 seconds.
- I only made roughly 400 exposures but none of them went crazy overexposed.
- I too got fed up with Phocus :)