The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

modator

Again I didn't regret my decision to cancel the subscription to LULA !

the new article about X1D seems strategically put to follow the leitmotif of the other luridous supposition of DJY acquisition...

Starting to say they present this camera more than a year ago... :loco:
some defects, but is light etc.
ending to say that's not in his list... and repeating the same story that the camera is not shipping.

I'm very happy that have deleted the subscription for next year. :clap:

Best !

jduncan

Again I didn't regret my decision to cancel the subscription to LULA !

the new article about X1D seems strategically put to follow the leitmotif of the other luridous supposition of DJY acquisition...

Starting to say they present this camera more than a year ago... :loco:
some defects, but is light etc.
ending to say that's not in his list... and repeating the same story that the camera is not shipping.

I'm very happy that have deleted the subscription for next year. :clap:

Best !
I was planning on becoming a subscriber. Then the initial article came and I decided to wait. If he si proved to be right, it will mean that he had insider information and was simple, not able to present the argument properly without compromising his sources. Of course even under that circumstance, it will be clear that his is still hurt since the day Hasselblad decided to stop subsidizing Phase One, but I knew that when I decided to subscribe. Right now I am in wait and see mode. I am concern about the factual errors and the intention of that infamous non-paywalled article, and it's timing.

Best regards,

Godfrey

I have a LuLa subscription through 2017. I didn't use it much at all after they went paid last year. If I don't find anything of value there worth my time through this year, I'll not renew again.

This Kevin Raber article, like the other on on the DJI-Hasselblad business, doesn't make me feel like I'm going to get much value out of LuLa anymore.

G

hcubell

The X1D was returned to the dealer earlier today. I took some notes for a blog post, but I shall just share the notes with you guys straight away.

To summarise I was really pleased with my time with the X1D and I am confident that for my portrait it will perform well. At the moment it does not really have the lens I need for my still life work, but hopefully that will come later this year. The X1D was a pleasure to use as well, with well thought out ergonomics for the most part. Did not have a chance to try any architecture or landscape, but since portraits are 90% of what I do I'm happy. During the two shots, which lasted for a total of 4 hours, there were no serious problems which I can remember. At the end of the second shoot I noticed the camera was warm, but in no way anywhere near what the it was during the initial demos. Although I have not delivered the final images yet I am confident my 'clients' will be more than pleased. Their Instagram feeds will never have looked so good before and :)

Below is a collection of observations from my time with the X1D. Some are very nitpicky, but nothing was close to making me cancel my pre-order. There are certainly a few things left for Hasselblad to iron out in the firmware, but I think we all already knew that.

AF good in ideal conditions and OK in poor, not yet analysed the result but from an inital look the keep rate seemed good

Lens changing - takes some effort and didnt immediately see the markings and the lens release button is in a dumb place which makes it very difficult to get a good grip on the camera body and the lens at the same time.

screen - poor, I wish it had a higher resolution and a tiny bit more oomph as it does not do the photos justice. Whilst looking at the photos during the shoot on the screen I was underwhelmed at first until I got home and put them on my iMac. Possibly, I am spoilt with the amazing Fuji JPGs, or I was just super hyped and expected bird song and rainbows :)

EVF better, but possibly a little bit choppy still

focus selection point - a let down - awkward to reach the button in the first place and instead of let me select point it just switches between af/mf even thought I pressed it for long enough and sometimes seemed to bring up the menu????

battery life - 250 photos in 2 hours resulted in 40% left then 20% after faffing around in cafe this is good enough for me

some settings seemed to reset/change after turn the camera on/off (shutter speed for instance)

turning camera on 7 seconds for display to turn and show settings screen and another 2 seconds for the camera to detect the SD card and count the number of images

worked with my Elinchrom Sky Port flash trigger

black out time after each shot is disruptive, but I have to wait for my flash to recharge anyway so no shots missed

live view seems to turn off at the most inconvenient moments

no jpg simulations, not even a black and white one

the af/mf and wb/iso buttons are quite tiny and just a tiny bit awkward to reach and use while the camera is against eye

phocus app did not let me save images to phone, but maybe that only works with JPGs

phocus app was not even keen on SHOWING me the photos on the phone, it only worked for a few photos

phocus app worked fine as a remote trigger, but I would much prefer a cabled option as it seemed to lose connection once in a while
Erik:
Kevin Raber reported that there was obvious "shutter lag" with the X1D. I use Hasselblad leaf shutter lenses with an H2 body and I have never noticed any shutter lag. Did you notice this? Is there something about the use of leaf shutter lenses with a mirrorless camera? Obviously, this is an issue with portraits, but it can also be an issue with landscapes under certain circumstances where there is a critical moment.
Thanks.

jbaxendell

I have a LuLa subscription through 2017. I didn't use it much at all after they went paid last year. If I don't find anything of value there worth my time through this year, I'll not renew again.

This Kevin Raber article, like the other on on the DJI-Hasselblad business, doesn't make me feel like I'm going to get much value out of LuLa anymore.

G
I think the value is in the unlimited access to their videos. For example, nearly two hours on Capture 9 with the Software Product Manager from Phase One. I agree that the editorial content does not seem to be as good under Kevin Raber but he does have good contacts. Jeff Schewe on Lightroom and printing is another example.

Christopher

You can always argue about everything detail. There are some timeline errors, however, I think it was a fair review. What did you expect ? A perfect camera ? Well it's not! It would have been a surprise if it was....

What I really don't get is this defend Hasselblad about their communication, which is bad, and that it IS a huge delay in shipping. I mean come one it's a disaster.

All in all I'm really getting sick of all that LULA bashing. I really thought this is a more civilized place but it looks like I was wrong and it makes me sad.

KeithL

I openly criticised the original article by Kevin Raber here and on LuLa but feel the latest hands-on experience whilst not in depth was balanced and fair.

Erik:
Kevin Raber reported that there was obvious "shutter lag" with the X1D. I use Hasselblad leaf shutter lenses with an H2 body and I have never noticed any shutter lag. Did you notice this? Is there something about the use of leaf shutter lenses with a mirrorless camera? Obviously, this is an issue with portraits, but it can also be an issue with landscapes under certain circumstances where there is a critical moment.
Thanks.
I am not sure.

As you know when you press the shutter there is a lot of clicking, and which of those clicks actually take the picture I am not sure.

As my subject was a boxer we did try some photos of him hitting a sandbag and I felt I missed the shot pretty much each time. If that's because I was too slow or the camera has shutter lag I don't know. During this part of the shoot the thought that it could be shutter lag occurred, but I can't say for sure.

Focusing on a moving target worked better than expected, but I did not expect it work at all really :)

dennishuang

I am not sure.

As you know when you press the shutter there is a lot of clicking, and which of those clicks actually take the picture I am not sure.

As my subject was a boxer we did try some photos of him hitting a sandbag and I felt I missed the shot pretty much each time. If that's because I was too slow or the camera has shutter lag I don't know. During this part of the shoot the thought that it could be shutter lag occurred, but I can't say for sure.

Focusing on a moving target worked better than expected, but I did not expect it work at all really :)
Hi Erik,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the X1D. I especially found the experiences that you had with the "focusing on a moving target" helpful.

algrove

Re: Kevin review on the X1D on LULA

You just confest to a minumum income of US$ 6,307,200 per year. Lucky you ;)
Wow, you can multiply $12 x the number of minutes in a year. Some professions get $720/hour when billing customers.

Use your head, I was discussing the amount of time spent on this site which is WAY less than every minute in a year.

Seems many who are waiting for this camera are now starting to hit at any post just to hit.

I am not sure.

From when I used the X1D here's what is happening, the leaf shutter is open while you are looking through the viewfinder when you press the shutter button:

1. Leaf shutter closes
2. Sensor starts exposing
3. Leaf shutter opens
4. Leaf shutter closes after exposure duration and sensor stops exposing
5. Leaf shutter opens again so that the EVF can work

So you have 4 clicks and each one has a bit of lag associated with it (though without measuring it, its hard to say if the delays are the same with each stage). I suspect that with an electronic first curtain shutter two of those clicks could be eliminated resulting in:

1. Leaf shutter stays open
2. EFC starts exposing
3. Leaf shutter closes after exposure duration and sensor stops exposing
4. Leaf shutter opens again so that the EVF can work

From when I used the X1D here's what is happening, the leaf shutter is open while you are looking through the viewfinder when you press the shutter button:

1. Leaf shutter closes
2. Sensor starts exposing
3. Leaf shutter opens
4. Leaf shutter closes after exposure duration and sensor stops exposing
5. Leaf shutter opens again so that the EVF can work

So you have 4 clicks and each one has a bit of lag associated with it (though without measuring it, its hard to say if the delays are the same with each stage). I suspect that with an electronic first curtain shutter two of those clicks could be eliminated resulting in:

1. Leaf shutter stays open
2. EFC starts exposing
3. Leaf shutter closes after exposure duration and sensor stops exposing
4. Leaf shutter opens again so that the EVF can work
Thanks for the explanation. Really helpful.

Love your portfolio btw :)