The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

tashley

Subscriber Member
I like one of the closing statements: 'Chinese do not invest in anything that’s unlikely to be profitable.'

Neither does the rest of the world.
I agree - and I thought that for Ming, who is generally excellent, it was a bit odd: profit can be seen as a long or a short term goal and in a world where corporations own a variety of brands and businesses in various jurisdictions and make strategic acquisitions which may or may not have tax angles (write offs for example) or may or may not be merely about acquiring a brand or crippling a competitor or a host of other potential reasons with different timescales and motivations, to say that 'people of ethnicity or nationality X do not invest in anything that’s unlikely to be profitable' actually means pretty much nothing at all.

From when I used the X1D here's what is happening, the leaf shutter is open while you are looking through the viewfinder when you press the shutter button:

1. Leaf shutter closes
2. Sensor starts exposing
3. Leaf shutter opens
4. Leaf shutter closes after exposure duration and sensor stops exposing
5. Leaf shutter opens again so that the EVF can work

So you have 4 clicks and each one has a bit of lag associated with it (though without measuring it, its hard to say if the delays are the same with each stage). I suspect that with an electronic first curtain shutter two of those clicks could be eliminated resulting in:

1. Leaf shutter stays open
2. EFC starts exposing
3. Leaf shutter closes after exposure duration and sensor stops exposing
4. Leaf shutter opens again so that the EVF can work
Thanks for this, it makes A LOT of sense. This is why when i was shooting approx 2 FPS with it, it seemed to have 1 click and the EVF never came back on in between shots, but I was getting the 2 FPS speed. What I was interpreting as one click, was actually two almost simultaneous clicks. So if it's not opening again for the EVF, but to just expose again, it speeds up the process between frames. Great info!

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just got the shipping notice from B&H on my X1D. It arrives tomorrow to coincide with Trump’s inauguration. [Insert your own political humor here ;)]

Since I don’t have the two lenses (I had to return them to B&H in late December as my full-refund return interval was about to expire), I had to rush to get them ordered to arrive on Friday. Woohoo!

Waiting’s almost over.

Joe
Duly inserted:

[Crikey, let's hope it doesn't trigger global nuclear war...]

hcubell

I agree - and I thought that for Ming, who is generally excellent, it was a bit odd: profit can be seen as a long or a short term goal and in a world where corporations own a variety of brands and businesses in various jurisdictions and make strategic acquisitions which may or may not have tax angles (write offs for example) or may or may not be merely about acquiring a brand or crippling a competitor or a host of other potential reasons with different timescales and motivations, to say that 'people of ethnicity or nationality X do not invest in anything that’s unlikely to be profitable' actually means pretty much nothing at all.
Tim:
I understand where he was coming from, and against that backdrop, his comments made sense to me. There were lots of comments on the internet that were tinged with negative stereotypes about the Chinese company and its Chinese owner in terms of how they were throwing good money after bad in increasing their ownership in Hasselblad and how they would trash the iconic Western European brand of Hasselblad. These fools have no ability to see that DJI may very well be able to marry the best of what DJI can do with the best of what Hasselblad can do. I agree that the Chinese are not unique in only investing in what they think will turn out to be profitable, but I think DJI may have a better handle on how to do it with Hasselblad than a pure financial buyer.

hcubell

Thanks for this, it makes A LOT of sense. This is why when i was shooting approx 2 FPS with it, it seemed to have 1 click and the EVF never came back on in between shots, but I was getting the 2 FPS speed. What I was interpreting as one click, was actually two almost simultaneous clicks. So if it's not opening again for the EVF, but to just expose again, it speeds up the process between frames. Great info!
The FPS rate is less of a concern for me than shutter lag, which Kevin Raber said was the case with the X1D in his review. None of the other reviews I have read mentioned this issue. Is there any technical reason why a mirrorless camera with leaf shutter lenses would suffer from shutter lag?

hcubell

I just got the shipping notice from B&H on my X1D. It arrives tomorrow to coincide with Trump’s inauguration. [Insert your own political humor here ;)]

Since I don’t have the two lenses (I had to return them to B&H in late December as my full-refund return interval was about to expire), I had to rush to get them ordered to arrive on Friday. Woohoo!

Waiting’s almost over.

Joe
Joe, the most deserving of those that preordered has finally been rewarded! Look forward to your comments.

KeithL

The FPS rate is less of a concern for me than shutter lag, which Kevin Raber said was the case with the X1D in his review. None of the other reviews I have read mentioned this issue. Is there any technical reason why a mirrorless camera with leaf shutter lenses would suffer from shutter lag?
I have no answer, but for this photographer with his intentions it is a very real concern.

Christopher

I would say it's pretty obvious... without S first curtain the shutter had to closest open an additional time. This creates a delay.

I had no real issues with shutter lag. Now, this is subjective, but it was fine for me and I don't remember it being an issue. What I did have an issue with was the Evf lag when shooting raw AND JPG. When shooting raw only, it came back right away.

Godfrey

Howard, I doubt whether I'm any more deserving than the others, including you, that have pre-ordered. Thanks very much.

When it rains, it pours! I just received a shipping notice from B&H saying the XCD 30mm lens has shipped and will arrive on Monday.

The spare battery is still backordered. How difficult is it to manufacture a battery?

Joe
I'm eagerly anticipating your comments on the 30mm. :)

Waiting’s almost over.

Joe
Fantastic news Joe :)