The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

They talk to much about the flange distance. What counts is the distance between the sensor and the outlet pupil and that is totally dependent on lens design.

But, the Fuji needs room for a focal plane shutter between the sensor and the lens mount, that would be a reason for the longer flange distance.

There is no connection between flange distance and lens quality, but a shorter flange distance makes it possible to use symmetric lens designs. But, symmetric designs don't play well modern digital sensors.

Fuji says they have tweaked the microlenses on the sensor.

The good thing with Fuji is that they have both EFCS and ES, both first time on a 44x33 Sony CMOS camera. Also, having shutter options in the camera allows it to be used by wide variety of lenses and mounting options.

Just as an example, mounting a V series lens on the Fuji just needs an extension tube with a Hasselblad V mount at one end.

Mounting a V lens on the X1D needs some device to cock the shutter and to expose. But, the X1D would use the lens shutter so it would allow short sync times :)

Best regards
Erik

Found this really in-depth comparison between our two favourite mirrorless medium format camera systems

https://plus.google.com/116458677975033889029/posts/NdVHsqGuKJa

It's a teeny weeny bit negative towards my countrymen's product, but an interesting read nonetheless.

sog1927

Hi,

They talk to much about the flange distance. What counts is the distance between the sensor and the outlet pupil and that is totally dependent on lens design.

The good thing with Fuji is that they have both EFCS and ES, both first time on a 44x33 Sony CMOS camera. Also, having shutter options in the camera allows it to be used by wide variety of lenses and mounting options.

Just as an example, mounting a V series lens on the Fuji just needs an extension tube with a Hasselblad V mount at one end.

Mounting a V lens on the X1D needs some device to cock the shutter and to expose. But, the X1D would use the lens shutter so it would allow short sync times :)

Best regards
Erik
I found the flange distance/lens speed discussion to be absolutely bizarre.

I know Hasselblad has said it won't work, but I'm still curious to see if anyone can get the Rube Goldberg combination of X1d + H-series adapter + CF adapter to trigger a CF lens (or, better yet for my purposes, an auto-bellows with a couple of extension tubes, a microscope shutter, and a Luminar). Yes, I know it's crazy.

iiiNelson

I just got the shipping notice from B&H on my X1D. It arrives tomorrow to coincide with Trump’s inauguration. [Insert your own political humor here ;)]

Since I don’t have the two lenses (I had to return them to B&H in late December as my full-refund return interval was about to expire), I had to rush to get them ordered to arrive on Friday. Woohoo!

Waiting’s almost over.

Joe
Congrats on receiving your camera. I'll be interested to read your impression and see one in person (since there aren't any Raleigh dealers I'm aware of) once you give it a good go around.

hcubell

Hi,

But, the Fuji needs room for a focal plane shutter between the sensor and the lens mount, that would be a reason for the longer flange distance.

There is no connection between flange distance and lens quality, but a shorter flange distance makes it possible to use symmetric lens designs. But, symmetric designs don't play well modern digital sensors.

Fuji says they have tweaked the microlenses on the sensor.

Best regards
Erik
You mean all that discussion and the guy doesn't know what he is talking about?

Tkhalloran

Just thought that I would provide a brief update on my X1D that I received one week ago. As stated before I bought the X1D for dynamic range, 2000th flash sync and size. Good to report that all of these surpass the D800 I have been using. The dynamic range is most impressive. It retains highlights much better than the D800.

I reported before that the AF was slower than the D800 and this is still true. The EVF is growing on me and am liking it more. Sometimes the EVF seems slow to enter Live View when I put my eye up to the eye piece which h is a bit cumbersome sometimes.

My biggest complaint thus far was learning how to operate the camera in a flash studio environment. As most know your exposure setting yields a very dark exposure without the flashes. We'll, my X1D came in a default mode of Exposure Simulation checked in the Display menu. This is not listed in the manual. In this mode the EVF is set to view with the exposure settings which of course where way too dark without the flash. I finally found the setting under display to turn it off and it works great now. Don't get caught with this if using all strobes.

I still do not like the settings for shutter speed not being remembered if you turn the camera off and then back on. There are numerous reasons you might need to do this and seems I often forget and try and start shooting. My D800 remembered so old habits are hard to forget.

Overall, I really like the X1D and will get more acquainted over time.

Tim

algrove

I just got the shipping notice from B&H on my X1D. It arrives tomorrow to coincide with Trump’s inauguration. [Insert your own political humor here ;)]

Since I don’t have the two lenses (I had to return them to B&H in late December as my full-refund return interval was about to expire), I had to rush to get them ordered to arrive on Friday. Woohoo!

Waiting’s almost over.

Joe
Finally your turn Joe. Congrats and let us have your comments.

Sorry, meant quote the link to the article on google.

Not only that and forget the rest of what he wrote. The last 3/4 paragraphs would be generally insulting to any professional photographer. But to write this sentence "Never mind the core of the X1d is a Japanese Sony sensor, the lenses are made by Japanese optics firm Nittoh, and that the company is largely owned by the Chinese, the corporate image of Aryan superiority is all that matters." is absolutely appalling to me personally, and I'm sure to Hasselblad.

gerald.d

Sorry, meant quote the link to the article on google.

Not only that and forget the rest of what he wrote. The last 3/4 paragraphs would be generally insulting to any professional photographer. But to write this sentence "Never mind the core of the X1d is a Japanese Sony sensor, the lenses are made by Japanese optics firm Nittoh, and that the company is largely owned by the Chinese, the corporate image of Aryan superiority is all that matters." is absolutely appalling to me personally, and I'm sure to Hasselblad.
WTF? Gobsmacked that someone would actually write that.

Astonishing.

bcambern

Howard, Godfrey, Tre, Lou and Tim, I'm still waiting for the UPS truck. My guess is that I'll have the packages, charge the battery and won't have any daylight left today. Plus, it's raining and very gray outdoors. The XCD 30mm gets here on Monday. My Visa card melted down yesterday. Waiting to exhale, Tim. ;)
Good opportunity to try out the high ISO capability...

Congrats Joe! Do you want me to sell you your "used" 45 that I bought from B&H that I can't use because I don't have a camera??? :ROTFL:

KeithL

Do you guys think the X lenses will always be lighter and slower in order to not compete with the H lenses?
I suppose it makes sense to design comparatively light and compact lenses for a comparatively light and compact camera. Having said that the 110mm f2 looks interesting.

D&A

Thanks Joe for your preliminary observations.

Truth be know, that the holdup of release of the X1D was that Sony cornered the market on cinnamon color anodized metal, used for the lens mounts in their A7 line of cameras.
There sat 1000's of fully finished production X1D's awaiting delivery of their shutter buttons in order to ship.
Adodized cinnamon metal is the new diamond :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

No thanks Josh, but thanks for the "offer". ;)

Two UPS packages were delivered late this afternoon - X1D, XCD 45mm and XCD 90mm - so Keith's attempted diversion didn't work. ;)

The two lenses may have been returns because they arrived with outer “jewel boxes” looking a little shelf-worn. One box even had white smudges all over the exterior from being handled. Given that no one had a camera until recently, “used” isn’t the right term to describe them. I checked the serial numbers and the lenses aren’t the same ones I returned. When brand new, the lenses and the camera come with outer boxes sealed in plastic bags. These two lenses had no plastic bag outer wrappers. No worries.

The battery is charging now. Unlike the Sony a7RII, the X1D seems to be completely inoperable without a significant battery charge. This could take hours. So I’ll know more tomorrow or later tonight.

First impressions (remember that I had not seen or touched the real deal until today):
• Everything that people have said about the “look and feel” is true; elegant design, deep grip, no clutter
• Thinner, smaller and lighter than I anticipated; even my wife said, “This is light”; that’s her way of saying, “You paid how much for this?!"
• Rectangular eyecup/eyepiece seems awkward and is not soft; I’d prefer a soft round rubber eyecup
• Soft pouch was listed as “in the box” but wasn’t; is the camera a return?; I’ll have to ask Derek whether he has a soft pouch [Insert inappropriate humor here]
• Compared to the a7RII side-by-side, the X1D has the physical appearance of a full-frame 35mm mirrorless camera, not a medium-format camera
• With lens mounted and battery installed, this thing is totally hand-holdable; we’ll see more when I can shoot a few frames

My interest is piqued even more to know why it took so long to manufacture. There are no jewels or rare earth elements (on the exterior). And why can't they ship a spare battery? Has Tesla cornered the lithium-ion battery market?

Joe
congrats Joe, you are with me now, enjoy the new toy as much as I do!

DougDolde

"Where is the X1D ????" Out behind the woodshed getting its butt kicked by the Fuji GFX ! Phase One is watching but will also get it's turn to be demolished by Fuji