The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

ddanois

No thanks Josh, but thanks for the "offer". ;)

Two UPS packages were delivered late this afternoon - X1D, XCD 45mm and XCD 90mm - so Keith's attempted diversion didn't work. ;)

The two lenses may have been returns because they arrived with outer “jewel boxes” looking a little shelf-worn. One box even had white smudges all over the exterior from being handled. Given that no one had a camera until recently, “used” isn’t the right term to describe them. I checked the serial numbers and the lenses aren’t the same ones I returned. When brand new, the lenses and the camera come with outer boxes sealed in plastic bags. These two lenses had no plastic bag outer wrappers. No worries.

The battery is charging now. Unlike the Sony a7RII, the X1D seems to be completely inoperable without a significant battery charge. This could take hours. So I’ll know more tomorrow or later tonight.

First impressions (remember that I had not seen or touched the real deal until today):
• Everything that people have said about the “look and feel” is true; elegant design, deep grip, no clutter
• Thinner, smaller and lighter than I anticipated; even my wife said, “This is light”; that’s her way of saying, “You paid how much for this?!"
• Rectangular eyecup/eyepiece seems awkward and is not soft; I’d prefer a soft round rubber eyecup
• Soft pouch was listed as “in the box” but wasn’t; is the camera a return?; I’ll have to ask Derek whether he has a soft pouch [Insert inappropriate humor here]
• Compared to the a7RII side-by-side, the X1D has the physical appearance of a full-frame 35mm mirrorless camera, not a medium-format camera
• With lens mounted and battery installed, this thing is totally hand-holdable; we’ll see more when I can shoot a few frames

My interest is piqued even more to know why it took so long to manufacture. There are no jewels or rare earth elements (on the exterior). And why can't they ship a spare battery? Has Tesla cornered the lithium-ion battery market?

Joe
Big Congrats Joe!

No soft pouch here :) but do call me to compare notes.

Best,
Derek

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
"Where is the X1D ????" Out behind the woodshed getting its butt kicked by the Fuji GFX ! Phase One is watching but will also get it's turn to be demolished by Fuji
Really!!!

Cut the crap out or your history. You have not contributed anything of value in this thread.

First and last warning

Godfrey

Two UPS packages were delivered late this afternoon - X1D, XCD 45mm and XCD 90mm...

The battery is charging now. ...

First impressions (remember that I had not seen or touched the real deal until today):
• Everything that people have said about the “look and feel” is true; elegant design, deep grip, no clutter
• Thinner, smaller and lighter than I anticipated; even my wife said, “This is light”; that’s her way of saying, “You paid how much for this?!"
• Rectangular eyecup/eyepiece seems awkward and is not soft; I’d prefer a soft round rubber eyecup
• Soft pouch was listed as “in the box” but wasn’t; is the camera a return?; I’ll have to ask Derek whether he has a soft pouch [Insert inappropriate humor here]
• Compared to the a7RII side-by-side, the X1D has the physical appearance of a full-frame 35mm mirrorless camera, not a medium-format camera
• With lens mounted and battery installed, this thing is totally hand-holdable; we’ll see more when I can shoot a few frames
Good luck with it, Joe! I look forward to hearing your explorations into the camera and its use. Bullets:

1 - Yup
2 - Yup
3 - eh? didn't bother me one way or the other. I'm not particularly sensitive on that score.
4 - Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
5 - Putting the Leica SL and X1D side by side is even more telling. They've done a miraculous job of miniaturization for a medium format camera.
6 - Yup. It's so close to the SL in terms of 'handiness' ... that's where my temptation comes from.

Please open a new "Fun with Hasselblad X1D ..." thread so we can see photos without having to wade through the many (often stressful) pages of this thread. :D

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice to start seeing deliveries. Look forward to more user thoughts and images. Soooooooo I think it's time we see our popular symbols here. Lol

:worthless:

hcubell

Do you guys think the X lenses will always be lighter and slower in order to not compete with the H lenses?
I don't think the issue is avoiding competition with HC lenses. I think Hasselblad has made a very conscious decision to design smaller and lighter lenses to mate with the smaller and lighter form factor of the X1D. Smaller and lighter lenses need to be slower; fast lenses are invariably big and heavy. I personally have been disappointed with the way Sony has shifted away from the form factor of the A7R with its later lens releases, and I hope that Hasselblad stays true to the original premise. Having said that, I expect that Hasselblad will fill in the line over time with a one or two faster lenses. They will build what will sell!

ErikKaffehr

Nice to hear, it has been a long wait!

Best regards
Erik

Two UPS packages were delivered late this afternoon - X1D, XCD 45mm and XCD 90mm - so Keith's attempted diversion didn't work. ;)

The two lenses may have been returns because they arrived with outer “jewel boxes” looking a little shelf-worn. One box even had white smudges all over the exterior from being handled. Given that no one had a camera until recently, “used” isn’t the right term to describe them. I checked the serial numbers and the lenses aren’t the same ones I returned. When brand new, the lenses and the camera come with outer boxes sealed in plastic bags. These two lenses had no plastic bag outer wrappers. No worries.

The battery is charging now. Unlike the Sony a7RII, the X1D seems to be completely inoperable without a significant battery charge. This could take hours. So I’ll know more tomorrow or later tonight.

My interest is piqued even more to know why it took so long to manufacture. There are no jewels or rare earth elements (on the exterior). And why can't they ship a spare battery? Has Tesla cornered the lithium-ion battery market?

Joe

algrove

Joe,

Other than the obvious size difference, I will be curious to hear what you say about X1D images versus 645Z images which we both know well. Do you want a comparison shot you generally try to take with all photographic tools?

D&A

Joe,

Other than the obvious size difference, I will be curious to hear what you say about X1D images versus 645Z images which we both know well. Do you want a comparison shot you generally try to take with all photographic tools?
I too am always interested in such matched comparisons between two similar systems such as the ones Lou mentioned.

Most know all too well that closely matched lenses not only in focal length but optical performance need to be used to make such comparions meaningful in my opinion.

When I did an in-depth comparion of the Leica S system to the Pentax 645D, I used the Leica 120mm macro vs. PENTAX'S 120mm macro (which was considered Pentax's best at the time.)

As for my own standard comparitive shot used when comparing all systems I've purchased? Its a pic of the purchase invoice of each system I've obtained, to show how much money I've invested in trying to achieve the holy grail of image capture....and I suspect there will always be a long way to go before ever hoping to achieve it....LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

etto72

I just got the shipping notice from B&H on my X1D. It arrives tomorrow to coincide with Trump’s inauguration. [Insert your own political humor here ;)]

Since I don’t have the two lenses (I had to return them to B&H in late December as my full-refund return interval was about to expire), I had to rush to get them ordered to arrive on Friday. Woohoo!

Waiting’s almost over.

Joe
Joe, congratulation receiving your X1D!!

Unfortunately I am still waiting to hear about the X1D 4116 :cry::cry::cry:

Some of you may know that I sold most of my equipment in order to buy this camera and in the last weeks my frustration got so big :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:that after reading the full specs, I have placed a preorder for the GFX as soon as it was listed on the website of Adorama.

I feel being in a horrible dilemma :argue: and I hope you guys can help me out with some good advice to clear my mind!

There is no doubt that the fijifilm on paper has some advantage:
-Viewfinder and Screen have much higher resolution while being also able to tilt
-Already a 6 lenses road map, with one of them being f2
-Cheaper :thumbup:

While with the Hasselblad of course the camera size is unbelievable(This was one of the 2 reasons I sold the amazing Pentax 645Z ) and the difference in premium construction looks obvious to me:angel:
Probably leaf shutter is also a nice thing for strobist outside the studio and probably a good thing in general for minimizing vibrations on a tripod and for hand held shooting

What I am most interested to hear is how good the Hasselblad X1d glasses are !
I hear the the 90mm is really fantastic but I didn't hear much about the other 2
Did any of you had a look at the the Fujinon a MFT chart? I dont know how to read those :facesmack:
but I would be curious to know what to expect !

Thanks for your help
Ettore

Eli

Unfortunately I am still waiting to hear about the X1D 4116 :cry::cry::cry:

I am one of those who put an order on a 4116 as soon as it was was announced, thinking that I might get it before my regular X1D I had on order (and I do like that sexy black look, and I justified the expense by the extra warranty of the 4116).

Well, B&H just notified me that it has shipped.... just to let you know.

Am I crazy, to pay more for the 4116—it is very nice. I ordered my regular X1d in August, and who knows how long it will be before it gets here.

Eli

Eli

Interesting, as B&H has been consistently saying that the Black Special Edition would not ship till February. When did you put in your order?
I put my order in on Sept. 22, I believe it was the day that the 4116 was announced.

E.

etto72

I put my order in on Sept. 22, I believe it was the day that the 4116 was announced.

E.
Thats a good sign:thumbup:
I am among the 1st 10 in the preorder list at Adorama but I still didn't hear anything
Hopefully next week

Thanks for sharing the news:clap:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

MTF charts are easy to read. MTF should be as high as possible. There are two curves sagittal and tangential which refer to different orientation.

Both the Hasselblad curves and Fuji curves are excellent. Hasselblad's data used to be measured on real lenses, while Fuji curves look like calculated MTF, so they cannot be compared directly. But both system hold great promise.

Best regards
Erik

What I am most interested to hear is how good the Hasselblad X1d glasses are !
I hear the the 90mm is really fantastic but I didn't hear much about the other 2
Did any of you had a look at the the Fujinon a MFT chart? I dont know how to read those :facesmack:
but I would be curious to know what to expect !

Thanks for your help
Ettore

etto72

Interesting, as B&H has been consistently saying that the Black Special Edition would not ship till February. When did you put in your order?
Yes, but since yesterday they changed on the website "Expected availability: February" in to "Expected availability: Not available" :toocool: