The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Processing IQ3 100 Files in C1

dchew

The recent discussion direction of tjv's ETTR thread made me wonder how others are processing IQ3 100 files. First, some context: I am somewhere between a beginner and intermediate user of C1. I still export processed files to LR for cataloging and in some cases further adjustments there or in PS.

I've been disappointed with C1's default rendering of images using the "film standard" curve. In general, I feel the curve is too strong (at least for landscapes), with shadows and some colors feeling “scrunched.” Without going through the time and effort to investigate Torger's dcamprof, I instead have changed the default import to "Linear Response." In general, when starting with Film Standard I have to use highlight and shadow recovery on almost every shot, while in Linear I usually add contrast. I can get close to the same result either way, but there remains something too harsh in darker colors using the film curve; not sure I can explain that. Perhaps for me it is simply easier to add contrast and clarity vs. trying to reduce it.

As an aside, using Linear has caused me to expose brighter, so from a SNR perspective maybe that is better anyway.

All this is subjective so I am curious what others are doing. Are most happy with the film standard curve? Is everyone making their own profiles? Does anyone else use Linear?

Probably time for me to reach out to Torger…

Dave

Note: I realize this is an image processing question but since it is specific to the back I thought better to post here. If it should be moved let me know.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've been disappointed with C1's default rendering of images using the "film standard" curve. In general, I feel the curve is too strong (at least for landscapes), with shadows and some colors feeling “scrunched.” Without going through the time and effort to investigate Torger's dcamprof, I instead have changed the default import to "Linear Response." In general, when starting with Film Standard I have to use highlight and shadow recovery on almost every shot, while in Linear I usually add contrast. I can get close to the same result either way, but there remains something too harsh in darker colors using the film curve; not sure I can explain that. Perhaps for me it is simply easier to add contrast and clarity vs. trying to reduce it.
Sounds like a good candidate for the new Leaf Look for IQ3 100mp. It's somewhere between the look provided by a Phase One profile in linear and film standard.

DougDolde

Why isn't the Leaf look available for all backs ? Oh wait I know, they want to suck another 26 grand out of me to upgrade

Paul2660

Hi Dave:

The C1 stock curve as you point is pretty harsh, adding both a lot of contrast and highlight push. There are some images I take where this works, but for shots where I am going to try and recover either highlight or shadow or both, I will often start with the linear curve. This creates a very flat looking image, but there is at times more to work with. With the P45+ this drove me crazy as I could watch the files load fine, then C1 applied the profile and I could watch as the highlights all were blown out. The P45+ LR profile to my eyes is much better and I tend to go there first for my older P45+ files now. If I work them in C1 I always use the linear curve.

I have also tried the Leaf look profiles mentioned previously, so far no seeing much difference in my work.

Paul C

Paul2660

Would these also work on the IQ140? Where are these profiles available?
It's worth a try.

Under the profile section in C1 hit the drop down arrow to select a different profile. Open the Leaf profile section and look for a Credo 40. I believe Credo made a 40.

Paul C

dchew

Thanks for the responses. Doug, I am now experimenting with the Leaf profiles; thanks. I still think my default will be P1 Outdoor Daylight with Linear Response. I will investigate a lot more; nice to have so many options.

Paul, sounds like you have a similar experience. I need more time in the saddle, and time right now is my constraint. Also as you and others have mentioned, there is a lot of headroom when using Linear Response. Better (brighter) exposures will help too.

Dave