The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF Electronic Shutter

Paul2660

I have used the ES on both a tech camera and XF, and it's a excellent feature, IMO probably the single best feature that Phase has produced for a long time, (since the IQ interface and LCD).

For long lens work, 100mm and out, it's a must have. It has fixed the slight vibration issues I was seeing with 300mm, 240mm and 150mm lenses. (wish I still had the 300mm now).

Once enabled, you will have one shot where the focal is fired, after that all remaining frames are silent, just the finish beep.

I have not found really any landscape situation where rolling shutter has effected anything in my shots either. So for movement of leaves, trees etc. not an issue and for water if anything it just adds to the effect.

Still working on trying to use it hand held, with the 55mm and 80mm, but it's a bit tricky in that respect.

As far as differentiation between brands offering 100MP CMOS , this is huge plus and should be given strong consideration.

Paul C

malmac

My wife has a Lumix with and electronic shutter which she uses all the time photographing birds - just no sound full stop. So great for her when she is in camouflage netting as the birds don't know she is there.

Well the other day she needed to use on camera flash for a back lit bird on a nest - could not get the flash to fire - well not until she dropped out of ES mode back to FPS mode.

I wonder if the IQ3 100 is the same.

Mal

Paul2660

ES and flash sync are not a great combination, especially for faster shutter speeds. This is true with all ES shutters including the IQ100 as far as I know since the current design is a scanning process not a global shutter.

Paul C

dchew

Just finishing a week shooting in Montana. Never once did I take out the sync cords and cable release for the technical camera. I put the lens on and for a split second wonder what I am forgetting. Then smile and maybe giggle a little.

Fantastic feature!

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just finishing a week shooting in Montana. Never once did I take out the sync cords and cable release for the technical camera. I put the lens on and for a split second wonder what I am forgetting. Then smile and maybe giggle a little.

Fantastic feature!

Dave
Me too! ;):thumbs:

vjbelle

As I've posted previously I used the ES extensively on my last Italy trip with over 700 'clicks' with never a hiccup other than user error. As Paul has said its the most important feature implementation ever offered by Phase. Would not be without it.

Victor