The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An Afternoon with DTG

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I love when all the fun stuff these folks throw at each other and just proofs all nice folks in the business with a sense of humor. If we can' have a good laugh than there is something wrong.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Sounds like they are doing something similar to our True Exposure which we started in 2002, so they are only 7 years behind. ;) (Joke!)

Attached is a description of the functionality.

David
Thank you for finding this. Hasselblad certainly has no shortage of tech documentation.

From my understanding of this document, the True Exposure feature is actually tweaking the aperture to compensate for the slowdown in shutter speed. The idea that you would have to disable custom setting #13 when using studio strobes at high sync speed seems a bit crazy to me. Isn't the whole point of having a fast leaf shutter so that you can sync with studio strobes? And if the photographer wants to shoot at a specific aperture for desired effect, why should the camera override this?

Leica's approach, on the other hand, is to underrate the shutter speed so that they can achieve the listed speed at all aperture settings.

David

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thank you for finding this. Hasselblad certainly has no shortage of tech documentation.
Yes, absolute props for Hassy documenting this. Their collection of white papers is a real asset to their company. At least for big nerds like me :).
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: [URL="http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/]Read Latest or Sign Up[/URL]

fotografz

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I love when all the fun stuff these folks throw at each other and just proofs all nice folks in the business with a sense of humor. If we can' have a good laugh than there is something wrong.
Besides, it gives me something to shoot while sitting on my backside waiting the car parts I have to shoot for real. :)

From my understanding of this document, the True Exposure feature is actually tweaking the aperture to compensate for the slowdown in shutter speed. The idea that you would have to disable custom setting #13 when using studio strobes at high sync speed seems a bit crazy to me. Isn't the whole point of having a fast leaf shutter so that you can sync with studio strobes? And if the photographer wants to shoot at a specific aperture for desired effect, why should the camera override this?

Leica's approach, on the other hand, is to underrate the shutter speed so that they can achieve the listed speed at all aperture settings.

David
No problem! There are stacks more white papers around.

To be honest it would only be worth disabling true exposure at 1/800s using flash. As this is often a rare occurrence I don't see it as an issue.

Also the changes True Exposure makes to the aperture are tiny incremental amounts so it is not likely to have any effect on DOF. Aperture is ONLY changed when the shutter is set to 1/800s. Otherwise as far as I can see (without proper documentation on their side) Leica is doing the same as us.

Best,

David

etrigan63

I'm glad my article was a catalyst for this healthy discussion. Now if only I could shake this verdamnt cold.