The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange looking purple files from IQ180 and Hartblei.

Having used the IQ180 with an Arca Rm3di back for 5 years I am now attempting to run it with a Hartblei BCam1 and a Canon TS lens. There's a shutter activating issue which is probably a loose connection, but that aside, if I take an image with the shutter set on open it comes up on the back with weird purple colours!

Seeking guidance on what I am doing wrong! The back connects directly to the Hartblei with no adapter. Thoughts??

Rob Blakers

dchew

Phase One backs take dark frames much more often than we realize during use. If you are leaving the shutter open it could be the color is because it is taking dark frames when the shutter is open.

Dave
Having used the IQ180 with an Arca Rm3di back for 5 years I am now attempting to run it with a Hartblei BCam1 and a Canon TS lens. There's a shutter activating issue which is probably a loose connection, but that aside, if I take an image with the shutter set on open it comes up on the back with weird purple colours!

Seeking guidance on what I am doing wrong! The back connects directly to the Hartblei with no adapter. Thoughts??

Rob Blakers

neil

I am actually just about to start using the same camera setup as you.

I am still considering which canon lens to use and was wondering which canon lens you choose to use.

I tried the hcam b1 with a manual Olympus 35mm shift lens and it worked quite well. Next step for me is trying a canon lens. Information on what lens wok well is difficult to find. I suspect there are many old lens which work well.

One issue I have is the top display for f number does not light up when I press the light on button. All the bubble levels light up and the back display lights up, but not the f Number display on top. I was wondering if this is because no canon lens is attached to the lens mount or because there is a loose connection to the light bulb. The question is does your top f number display light up when no canon lens is on the mount and you press the side light up button.

Any advice appreciated

Hi Neil,

Yes, the f-stop number should light up.

Planning to use the Canon TS lenses, which I have already, and which all have large image circles to handle the TS. Shall also try some long lenses - the issue here will be the amount of vignetting. Is the result of, say, a Canon 500mm f4 on a Phase back better than the same lens on a Canon 5ds. As soon as I can get my BCam1 to actually work I'll let you know!

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Phase One backs take dark frames much more often than we realize during use. If you are leaving the shutter open it could be the color is because it is taking dark frames when the shutter is open.

Dave
Phase backs do a dark frame for all exposure times on a ccd back, not just long ones.

Tested a range of Canon lenses on the Hartblei B1. The lens of note is the Canon 100 - 400 V2, which has a surprisingly large image circle. It produces files with minimal vignetting that are extraordinarily sharp. Still working on an aperture adjustment issue with this though!

daf

Your man is Stefan Steib (the hcam maker), present on this forum:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/stefan-steib/

Rob Blakers

neil

Wondering if you tried the

Canon EF16-35mm F2.8L II or III USM

And if it covered full frame iq180 for part of the range ?

It's a lens on my wish list to try on the hcam b1

( Good to know the 100 - 400 II works well.)

Unfortunately haven't tried those lenses.

The stellar lens that I did try is the Canon 500 f4, which delivered incredible resolution with minimal effective vignetting.

Then I managed to drop the Hartblei on the (carpeted) floor, with painful consequences. So no more testing until the camera comes back (or doesn't!!) from Stefan in Germany!

Stefan Steib

Unfortunately haven't tried those lenses.

The stellar lens that I did try is the Canon 500 f4, which delivered incredible resolution with minimal effective vignetting.

Then I managed to drop the Hartblei on the (carpeted) floor, with painful consequences. So no more testing until the camera comes back (or doesn't!!) from Stefan in Germany!
I´ll do my very best. Normally the camera body is nearly undestroyable, because it´s made from a massive aluminium block.
more soon.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan