The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 10 released

Pelorus

My email just went berserk! Emails from 2 dealers and Phase One. To quote:

Phase One have just launched Capture One Pro 10. This upgrade includes some substantial under-the-hood improvements to make Capture One even more responsive, and provides several new workflow capabilities for imaging professionals.

As usual we have been testing a Beta release of the software, and performance increases have been very noticeable.

Key features of Capture One Pro 10:
  • Faster browsing, zooming, panning, and switching of images
  • New default workspace for a more intuitive experience
  • Three-stage image sharpening; lens, creative, and output sharpening
  • Full on-screen proofing capabilities
  • Integration with Tangent panel editing systems
  • Camera focus tool for tethered cameras
I've just downloaded but it's too early to comment.

Paul2660

Appears that Phase finally agreed on the issue with the LCC for the IQ100/IQ150/250/350, striping (not micro lens ripple) and appears to have fixed it for the IQ100, but per the notes, did not attempt to fix it of the 50MP backs, even though it was brought to their attention over 1 year ago by myself and others.

Also had hoped that Phase would spend more time on the Pentax K1 Pixel shift and add support for that, but it appears that it was left out again.

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

Has anyone had a chance yet to compare the new deconvolution sharpening in C1 10 with Focus Magic? To date, I have skipped capture sharpening completely in C1 and did my capture sharpening on exported TIFFs in PS using Focus Magic, which is, well, magic.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The annual upgrade fleecing continues
I really don't understand your absolutely persistent negativity. Has Phase One wronged you in some particular way? It seems nearly all your comments about Phase One is about cost/fleecing/money-pit or similar.

Why is this update a "fleecing"? Either someone finds that the upgrade is worth a hundred bucks and they buy it or they don't. Phase One sells perpetual licenses; you're welcome to use an older version as long as you can find a computer it will run on. They also honor upgrade pricing coming from two versions ago, in case you want to skip a version but decide to upgrade after that.

DougDolde

I stand by my observation that Phase One is running a bottomless upgrade money pit. This is spare change but the back upgrade prices are criminal

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Very preliminary observations -

1. I have just tried the devolution sharpening and it looks pretty good.
2. Speed is noticeably faster.

So far so good!

gerald.d

But hey. Look on the bright side.

We have moved from "annual upgrade fleecing continues" to "small change" in just an hour or so.

Progress is being made.

sc_john

I stand by my observation that Phase One is running a bottomless upgrade money pit. This is spare change but the back upgrade prices are criminal
I don't get this.

I am on my 3rd or 4th Phase One back. When I purchased each of those backs, Phase One did not tell me that a move to the next latest and greatest back would cost me only $X or Y% of the new back cost. They never guaranteed the value of my back. How is that different from Hasselblad, Leica, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, VW, Apple, etc?

Phase One has offered upgrade paths; IMHO some have been better than others. But, it was my decision... Phase One didn't hold a gun to my head and threaten to downgrade my existing back if I didn't upgrade. I currently have an IQ260, and notwithstanding I would like a 100mp back, the value proposition of an upgrade isn't there for me. My IQ260 works just as well as the day I got it, and it produces beautiful images...with my talent being the limiting factor.

You made the decision to purchase your IQ back, and if your purchase was like mine... with no future guarantees of value. Get over it!

yaya

If you're a commercial shooter or if you do your own prints or if you don't like/ don't need/ don't want to go through Photoshop for your output then I believe the new Output proofing on its own is worth the upgrade.

BR
Yair

tjv

I'm assuming there's a DB version digital back owners can download for free?

The speed increases tempt me the most and I'd pay to get that alone!

And no improvements to the image processing and NR pipeline for CCD backs?

vjbelle

Out of curiosity I tried out the 'Diffraction' sharpening and certainly there is some improvement but I would never in my wildest dreams shoot any of my Schneider Digitar lenses at f22. This is not criticism of the software - there's only so much that can be done with something shot at f22. Also, since I use this with my lowly Macbook when traveling the increase in speed is a plus. I knock the IQ3100 files down to 50MP when I'm traveling with the Macbook and everything is pretty quick at that point. All in all its worth the $89.00 upgrade.

Victor

Last edited:

ddanois

This is a nice upgrade. Speed and features are worth the small fee.

Far better than the required annual fee the Adobe charges for Lightroom