The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 10 released

Focus stacking is probably lower on their priority list since they give away Helicon Focus for free to owners of the XF. I know that doesn't help those that use C1P for non Phase cameras...
I would agree. The not so subtle point about the XF not being backwards compatible with the P+ series backs is a lot like "...Cortez burning his ships...". Now, I will assume that rather quickly I will get a response as to "why" there technology reason for that, but in the end it is just the roadmap...

ejpeiker

The so called diffraction sharpening utilized by PhaseOne is crude by comparison and something I would never recommend or use. It actually degrades the image with its extreme aggressiveness and causes irreparable damage.
I'm sure you were just being a bit hyperboilic ;) as you know that nothing in C1P is ever irreparable since nothing is ever done to the base file. Simply uncheck the box and you are right back to where you were before applying the diffraction sharpening...

vjbelle

I'm sure you were just being a bit hyperboilic ;) as you know that nothing in C1P is ever irreparable since nothing is ever done to the base file. Simply uncheck the box and you are right back to where you were before applying the diffraction sharpening...
Yup..... was going to edit my post but to make myself clear "irreparable damage to the processed tiff file" was what I should have said. In any case don't ever use that so called feature.

Victor

JeRuFo

Yup..... was going to edit my post but to make myself clear "irreparable damage to the processed tiff file" was what I should have said. In any case don't ever use that so called feature.

Victor
Have you actually tested this feature or are you basing your statement on the fact that no dedicated sharpening program can do it? And if so, what was not satisfactory and is it usable in certain situations?

I'm a bit too fuzzy in the brain after a long week to recall my optics classes in college, but I wouldn't rule it impossible to do. Since diffraction is basically a scattering of light it might be possible to undo up to a point (pun intended too). I'm just not that convinced about it being possible at all without measuring the diffraction on each lens and shutter combo, and perhaps even include the sensor (maybe by shooting an image at the optimum aperture too and use that kind of like LCC?)
If the software could recognize the diffraction patterns in an image by itself surely that would take a lot more calculations than the speed at which C1 Pro 10 applies this sharpening would suggest. It's even less likely that they could do it perfectly on the first try, since diffraction also affects color, and not boast about it more, since they would then have literally reversed a law of pysics.

Edit: Now that I come to think of it, if it were possible to undo diffraction there would be no need to focus a camera anymore either or close down your lens or even buy a sharp lens in the first place. Most of the practical problems photographers face are diffraction related.

Paul2660

Hi make sure you have the latest version of the Nik suite. It all free now since google purchased them.

Paul Caldwell

Remko

yes, but i'm facing trouble with nik software when i upgrade to sierra... and one of my computers is not compatible with 10.12.1... ;-(

thanks for your answer anyway !
My mac runs 10.11.6 and that is fine with CO V10, also according to the Phase One's requirements. Hope this helps.

Remko

archivue

Hi make sure you have the latest version of the Nik suite. It all free now since google purchased them.

Paul Caldwell
Yes, but no updates for ages... i prefer to pay and have support and update...

Nik Software requirements :

Mac :

Mac® OS X versions 10.7.5 à 10.10
Adobe Photoshop versions CS4 (CS5 pour HDR Efex Pro 2) à CC 2015
Adobe Photoshop Elements versions 9 à 13 (sauf HDR Efex Pro 2, qui n'est pas compatible avec Photoshop Elements)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom versions 3 à 6/CC
Apple® Aperture® 3.1 ou version ultérieure

ejpeiker

it depends on the computer... sometimes it works, some times...

C1 10 is Compatible with Mac OSX 10.11.6 or macOS 10.12.x
You must have misundestood what I meant. I was talking about Nik, my post had nothing to do with C1 10. It was in response to another post in this thread that said that Nik doesn't work with Sierra which is not true on any of the systems that I manage.

MILESF

You must have misunderstood what I meant. I was talking about Nik, my post had nothing to do with C1 10. It was in response to another post in this thread that said that Nik doesn't work with Sierra which is not true on any of the systems that I manage.
I had a problem with Nik 'disappearing' from Photoshop CC. I checked that I had the Nik tools in the Photoshop Plugins folder. I re-downloaded the Nik software. All to no avail. Then I found a post somewhere on the internet that said that the solution was to go to Photoshop/Preferences/General/Reset Preferences on Quit. Hey Presto Nik Tools reappeared next time I started Photoshop.

Incidentally, it appears that Google is doing little if any further development on Nik Tools. Their website (https://www.google.com/nikcollection/?) shows compatibility only with Mac OS X 10.7 through 10.10 (plus Windows Vista, 7, 8). Having just checked their site before writing this post I did get an invitation fill in a survey so maybe somewhere somewhere is still doing something. I wonder if the decision to make Nik free of charge was part of a decision to stop further development. The website shows little sign of recent updating.

That said I find that I use Nik less and less as the greater functionality of Capture One covers more and more of my needs and Capture One 10 takes me another step in this direction.

gerald.d

Yes it is. I m just setting it up today. So any questions feel free to ask.
Congratulations!

I'm going to have to wait until well into the new year before I can splash out on these.

My biggest question is actually rather simple - do you get a real-time numerical feedback (of the value set in Capture One) on the LCD display when adjusting input values with the knobs or trackerballs?

Kind regards,

Gerald.