The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF High ISO Image Thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Something different. Let's see what we are not supposed to be able to do.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

P25 Plus ISO 800 300mm at 5.6

Shot this back in January. Processed in ACR, not my favorite program

PeterA

Nice Guy..you must be on beta blockers -:) I love the expression of the woman in the background !

Guy Mancuso

I know pretty cool look from her. These are models trying to get in the business. Thought we would have some fun this morning

LJL

Guy,
This works nicely as a B/W image for sure. There is obvious noise, but it translates nicely to a grainy look. Hard to tell, but ACR may be adding some halo to the top of her head, unless that is some overhead lighting or something. (Do not think it is a normal sharpening artifact, but more something that ACR tends to impart at times. Drives me nuts, as it is inconsistent, but bothersome to me anyway.)

Now, if there was a firmware/software way to boost you one more stop....or maybe just make this one cleaner, I would think you would be a pretty happy camper, no?

LJ

Guy Mancuso

LOl here is a color one. I did put some sharpening on the first one. This one more out of the can. Yes there is noise but it really does not bother me much. It's more luminance than color which bugs me is color noise. Besides i hate ACR this is from C1

ISO 800 and the 300mm Mamiya at 5.6 .This girl has a identical twin and these girls cleaned up with the agents. They loved them. Little different shot selection

Guy Mancuso

Same shot but went after the color noise in C1. Cleaned up pretty good.

Yair nice noise on that one, Very clean

Guy Mancuso

It's great at that speed.

Honestly I think there is too much whining about high ISO and MF. Certainly better than it can't be better than base ISO talk

Guy Mancuso

Another at ISO 800 which is the maximum rated for my back . Seriously if your really close to dead on exposures than your success rate is really good. I think a lot of times things get underexposed and folks are trying to push to far. This is all under tungsten which is not easy light

Steve Hendrix

Here is another of my sample cat pics (this is Easter), shot on a Phase One P30+/Phase One camera and 28mm lens at 1/30th second, f4.5 and 800 ISO. Includes original, final and 100% crop. All the adjustments of the final were completed in Capture One, which included push/pulling exposure, saturation, adjusting curves, rotation, distortion, CA, and *negative* vignetting. I think it holds up quite well for an ISO 800 shot put through the wringer.

Selectively pulled red reflections from the pillow/blanket out of his grey coat hairs in the Color Editor, took about 30 seconds. Notice the white door color balance is not much different from the orginal to the final, yet Easter's fur coat has changed dramatically. Let's see you do this in Leaf Capture, Phocus, or Exposure!

Snap!

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

mtomalty

Hey Guy,

For an additional laugh why don't we see which MFDB makers most recent products
and software combo can claim champion status with exposure times of, say, over twenty
seconds.
We all know Phase reined supreme with products up to the P45+ but I would be
curious to know who is sitting at the top of the heap now, knowing that there are some
chip changes in most recent products

Mark

mtomalty

Let's see you do this in Leaf Capture, Phocus, or Exposure!

Hey Steve,
Fair enough but maybe the above mentioned brands wouldn't have started
with a blue cat :>))

Mark

Guy Mancuso

Phase still does 1 hour for the P45 plus and P30 Plus. The P25 plus I have to retest . I had a issue but was firmware related ( not having a new version) but my thought is at least 30 minutes. I do have to test it again and maybe Steve has more on my old chip. LOL Still love this 22mpx sensor. Than the P65 Plus does a minute. Than for Hassy i think 30 seconds but Dave can tell us for sure , maybe longer. Leaf and Sinar not sure over a minute . Dalsa does not do well over a minute in general and the Kodak sensors are better at the long stuff. Now if my numbers are wrong or my thinking please advice the correct data gentleman. Yair ( Leaf) David ( Hassy) Steve, Chris and Doug ( Phase folks ) and also Chris Snipes knows Phase. Did I leave anyone out . Edwin handles Sinar

Steve Hendrix

Let's see you do this in Leaf Capture, Phocus, or Exposure!

Hey Steve,
Fair enough but maybe the above mentioned brands wouldn't have started
with a blue cat :>))

Mark

No, probably purple. ;)

To the eye, Easter's coat appears a mix of black, white, grey, etc. But in almost any light (daylight, tungsten, you name it) regardless of whether the scene is color balanced, as a digital capture, it picks up all sorts of odd colorations. And this was a mix, tungsten and daylight, and was captured with Auto White Balance, so there is a lean towards blue. However, even after color balancing, Easter's coat was reflecting and absorbing all kinds of colors, it was certainly not as neutral as it appears to the naked eye. I find this common with all of my cats with gray-ish coats.

I've found this the case with H3D shots, Canon shots, and now Phase One (remember, I've shot with all of them). Some things have to be tamed in post. It's nice to have the tools to do it.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Last edited:
H

Howard Cubell

No, probably purple. ;)

To the eye, Easter's coat appears a mix of black, white, grey, etc. But in almost any light (daylight, tungsten, you name it) regardless of whether the scene is color balanced, as a digital capture, it picks up all sorts of odd colorations. And this was a mix, tungsten and daylight, and was captured with Auto White Balance, so there is a lean towards blue. However, even after color balancing, Easter's coat was reflecting and absorbing all kinds of colors, it was certainly not as neutral as it appears to the naked eye. I find this common with all of my cats with gray-ish coats.

I've found this the case with H3D shots, Canon shots, and now Phase One (remember, I've shot with all of them). Some things have to be tamed in post. It's nice to have the tools to do it.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Actually, the cat looks to me like he has been selectively converted to monochrome to neutralize the color cast.

Dave Gallagher

Steve,

I like how it pulled the color out of the black bookcase as well. This is a great example of a real world application of the color editor. But Steve........ does the model always have to be a "cuddly little kitty"? : )

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Great example demonstrating how much I haven't mastered in C1 ... I better sign up for one of those tutorials.