The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

updating my digital back...

archivue

Hi Folks,

i'm still using my DM33 (aptus II 7) with my Rm3d

Still a really good back for this type of use !

I wish i could frame with a real live view... i miss long exposure too !

For now, here in France the business is quite low... so i can't buy an IQ300, and a 32mm... grgrgrg !

On my short list i have :

- finding a cheap P45+ for my long exposure needs... but quite old, and crap screen.
- a refurb IQ150... but not really friendly with movements and smaller than my dm33... (my lenses : 28rod, 35xl, 45rod, 55rod, 72xl, 90rod )
- a refurb IQ160... but except for file size and convenience... same type of limitation as my DM33 no real live view and no real long exposure.

of course, an IQ260 seems to be a good compromise (friendly with mvts, no real live view but good screen, and long exposure... ) but too expensive for now.

is it worth trying an IQ150 with my lenses, or an IQ160 at 40seconds... or shall i go for a P45+ for now... or shall i win the lottery ?

Paul2660

Based on my experiences, If you can work with the Crop factor of the IQ150 I would try it. C1 will do wonders on movements up to around 15mm of shift. A bit more on rise fall.

I would go 160 over 260 if that is being considered. LE on the 260 is nominal at best. It is nothing like the LE from the P45+ which can give you an excellent 1 hour exposure. The LE from the 150 will easily beat both however.

Paul Caldwell.

archivue

Based on my experiences, If you can work with the Crop factor of the IQ150 I would try it. C1 will do wonders on movements up to around 15mm of shift. A bit more on rise fall.

I would go 160 over 260 if that is being considered. LE on the 260 is nominal at best. It is nothing like the LE from the P45+ which can give you an excellent 1 hour exposure. The LE from the 150 will easily beat both however.

Paul Caldwell.

you mean 150 over 260 ?

Paul2660

Yes. In a heart beat. I would have gone that way 1year ago but the crop factor was too much for me.

Paul Caldwell

If you want good Live View and good long exposure then forget about any CCD back, and instead go for the Sony CMOS backs (100MP 645 or 50MP 44x33).

I wouldn't recommend the IQ260 for these two purposes. If you are interested in the IQ260 then I would strongly suggest you to try it yourself before you buy it (and most importantly, bring a Nikon D800 or Sony A7R for a side-by-side comparison against the IQ260 at the same time). You'll probably end up finding it not suitable for these two purposes.

archivue

If you are interested in the IQ260 then I would strongly suggest you to try it yourself before you buy it (and most importantly, bring a Nikon D800 or Sony A7R for a side-by-side comparison against the IQ260 at the same time). You'll probably end up finding it not suitable for these two purposes.
I already have a D800... so easy to open the shadows...

i will try an iq150... first test will be with the 28 and movements...

cross fingers !

i've never win the lottery, maybe i should buy a ticket first ;-)

DougDolde

The Aptus is a great back. I've made 30x40 prints with exceptional detail from my 75S. Unfortunately I sold it a few years ago.

tcdeveau

Maybe look at a used Credo 50 too? You're already a Leaf user, and the Credo 50 can do most of what the IQ150 can...but cheaper

Regardless, good luck with your testing and your decision