The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 007 - A Warning To Potential Buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Please everyone, let's try to remember the spirit of this forum. We all come here to exchange useful information. Please don't let it degrade to personal attacks.

Thanks, Cindy,
I have also locked the thread for awhile to allow folks to reflect on proper forum behavior.
-bob

jdphoto

I fully appreciate and agree with what you've said. As you correctly acknowledge it comes down to each persons personal experience. I can't argue that your camera didn't fail. But what would your opinion have been if it failed continuously for 12 months and they failed to provide you with any form of compensation?

The camera I purchased appears to have been a lemon. Rather than replace my faulty equipment from the beginning they chose to repair it... more than once. Had they replaced it with equipment that worked I wouldn't have a problem. I had a faulty Sony A7R which Sony replaced with an A7RII and I was happy. They accepted the fault was with their equipment and they resolved it in a way that made me happy with their service. I'm not claiming that every other brand is fault free. I acknowledge that I have had problems with all my equipment. What matters is how the company responsible deal with the problem. In my case I can't go for a single week without having problems. On the first dozen occasions I gave Leica the benefit of the doubt. I hoped they would resolve the problems and find a solution... but as the months dragged on and my work was interrupted time and time again with problems I told them that I'd had enough. I don't know how any reasonable person could argue with my approach.

As I mentioned in the previous post they even gave me the direct contact details for the chief engineer on the S system. They told me they don't do this but as my situation was unusual and as I had conducted myself politely they didn't feel it was a problem.

So, after 12 months of ongoing problems I told Leica I'd had enough and wanted a refund. I did this within my 12 month warranty period but they have refused to do this and refused to offer a replacement.

There's nothing else I can do other than threaten legal action. I have equipment that doesn't work and they have my money. What would you do?
I would imagine that you didn't expect the push back that some have shown here in an open forum with a very specific thread title. Obviously, no camera is perfect, but it has to work first in order to make that determination. The Leica S was certainly a camera I wanted, but I needed LS lenses. I was close to buying one here in the US, but waited. The known issues with Leica AF's is enough to abandon the system, imo. At some point, I'd imagine a full refund for your gear. Document all communications and repair invoices, rentals, loaner cameras, and dealer communications. Include loss of business and expenditures and add this to your total. With my Hasselblad issues, I ended up with four cameras before one finally worked long enough to trade it in. Good luck with your Leica quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.