The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IXU Aerial or Hasselblad A5D Aerial?

Ztacir

I am interested in aerial photography.
I am looking for a drone system coupled with a camera system.
Can you recommend me the best system for large prints?
Best
Ziya Tacir

Nick-T

I am interested in aerial photography.
I am looking for a drone system coupled with a camera system.
Can you recommend me the best system for large prints?
Best
Ziya Tacir
You might also want to think about the X1D (when it gets here). I know someone who has been experimenting with an X1D and a drone.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You might also want to think about the X1D (when it gets here). I know someone who has been experimenting with an X1D and a drone.
There are a lot of places where 100mp vs 50mp doesn't make a lick of difference.

Very large prints of highly detailed aerials is not one of those.

The iXU (or an XF with mirror locked up and viewfinder removed to reduce weight) would provide 100mp. If budget (and weight) allow it's a no brainer to do it over any 50mp solution.

As far as I know Phase is outselling Hassy in the aerial market by a very wide margin.

gerald.d

I can highly recommend the iXU-1000.

We flew with it in a Shotover...

The images were as to be expected - astounding.

Totally agree with Doug - nothing can touch the iXU. Unless there are severe budgetary constraints, it's a no-brainer.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

hcubell

Totally agree with Doug - nothing can touch the iXU. Unless there are severe budgetary constraints, it's a no-brainer.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Is that a drone carrying the iXU or a 727? I think the OP asked about using a drone.

gerald.d

Is that a drone carrying the iXU or a 727? I think the OP asked about using a drone.
Hi Howard -

It's a chopper. Yes - I am aware that the OP use case is on a drone, but regardless of what flies the camera, the images will be of the same quality.

The question being asked is "Phase One iXU or Hasselblad A5D Aerial". I was providing insight into aerial photography using the Phase One.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

A

.:Aleph:.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Yay! :cool: This is exciting. :cool:

May I ask, completely cluelessly, how did this work? The Shotover was yours or does it belong to the helicopter company?

gerald.d

Yay! :cool: This is exciting. :cool:

May I ask, completely cluelessly, how did this work? The Shotover was yours or does it belong to the helicopter company?
Well it's not mine personally!

The film production company I work for owns it.

Trying to remember how we did it now... IIRC, HDMI out from the Phase One is sent over Ethernet cable through the Shotover and up to the display and control panel in the back of the heli. Because the gimble can spin continuously, you need to get the signal through the rotating bit, and it's wired for Ethernet. We also created a custom trigger cable.

There's no way to control the camera other than triggering it, and no way to view the shot taken. No issues though since you can frame it before shooting, and the auto-exposure feature of the back takes care of the rest.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Fleye

Hi Guys,

interesting post read here...

We've been working directly with Phase One and just started lifting the XF100 on our drone to take remote 100mp shots from 500 meters away. We're pretty much the only ones who have figured out how to do it so far and it works amazingly well. Will hopefully be able to share some results with you guys soon but the results are incredible.

Check out our webpage here with a little bit about our capabilities http://www.fleye.co.uk/medium-format-aerial-stills-photography/

And questions just drop me an email - [email protected]

Thanks and hope you find it interesting.

Will