The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking like no C1 support for the Fuji GFX

iiiNelson

While I understand Phase One's somewhat generic response to not "support competitors" as perhaps a business decision, in practice it is not the most compelling, imho.

Phase One is really in two separate fields: medium format camera systems and raw image processing software. You can look at them as combined entities, but I don't. Basically every camera manufacturer includes some sort of processing software for its cameras. But for the most part they are either weak, very basic and/or lack some real functionality or capabilities desired by users (e.g., tethering).

No one runs to use any of these "lesser" processing solutions offered by manufacturers. Phase One touts Capture One Pro as a leading processing software solution, and for good reason. It does solicit its software as a better raw processing solution for other camera systems. The other major alternatives being offered through Lightroom and Adobe.

Sometimes when I hear people exclaim that MFDB users need to adopt some alien processing workflow, I laugh. I use essentially the same workflow for all my camera systems, and enjoy all the tools of the same processor with C1Pro. [/I]And that's the real joy in workflow and and ease in using (and enjoying) different cameras and systems. Using the same C1Pro software/workflow makes it easy.

Certainly the raw processing partnership with Sony couldn't have been a bad thing. Taking another bite (and profit) from competitors in the medium format realm might not be a bad thing.

Ken
This man speaks logical truths.

hcubell

While I understand Phase One's somewhat generic response to not "support competitors" as perhaps a business decision, in practice it is not the most compelling, imho.

Sometimes when I hear people exclaim that MFDB users need to adopt some alien processing workflow, I laugh. I use essentially the same workflow for all my camera systems, and enjoy all the tools of the same processor with C1Pro. [/I]And that's the real joy in workflow and and ease in using (and enjoying) different cameras and systems. Using the same C1Pro software/workflow makes it easy.

Ken
I think you just corroborated the business case for Phase locking out of Capture One the raw files of other medium format digital systems. It appears that you would not even remotely consider any medium format system that was locked out of Capture One. A competitive offering from Hasselblad, Fuji or Pentax would be like Kryptonite. I think there are many others in the same boat. Wow. Why would Phase give up that competitive advantage? To sell a few more software licenses? Doubtful. Look, the people who work at Phase depend for their living on making the decisions that they believe are best for the company long term, looking at all of the different variables. They don't act out of spite. I think it is folly to think that a customer knows better. Moreover, Phase has not suffered any backlash in the marketplace from its decision to lock out other MFD players the way Hasselblad did when it closed the H platform. That decision by Hasselblad and the resulting uproar has never really abated. It spawned a whole generation of Hasselblad haters.

dchew

I can't wait for Sony to release their own MF camera. Then Phase will be bundling its software with one Sony model and barring its use from another.
:loco:

Dave

Paul2660

I think you just corroborated the business case for Phase locking out of Capture One the raw files of other medium format digital systems. It appears that you would not even remotely consider any medium format system that was locked out of Capture One. A competitive offering from Hasselblad, Fuji or Pentax would be like Kryptonite. I think there are many others in the same boat. Wow. Why would Phase give up that competitive advantage? To sell a few more software licenses? Doubtful. Look, the people who work at Phase depend for their living on making the decisions that they believe are best for the company long term, looking at all of the different variables. They don't act out of spite. I think it is folly to think that a customer knows better. Moreover, Phase has not suffered any backlash in the marketplace from its decision to lock out other MFD players the way Hasselblad did when it closed the H platform. That decision by Hasselblad and the resulting uproar has never really abated. It spawned a whole generation of Hasselblad haters.
I feel this model works for the current purchases available, such as XF and backs. Phase One has sold a lot of backs over the years, but the gates are getting ready to open in a big way, once the X1D and GFX begin to ship. I know which direction I would go in purchase if I was looking at current IQ250/150 or X1D GFX solution.

Phase has not announced a mirrorless, may see something in January, when they tend to make such announcements, but I don't feel it will come this year.

The prospective market share for the current 50MP chip is huge now that both of these "affordable" solutions are coming. Both Hasselblad and Fuji have excellent optics, and from what I have seen from the early X1D glass wonderful.

These new products offer a great chip to an entirely new range of photographers and I feel they will be selling well for a quite a while.

There will always be LR and ACR.

Paul Caldwell

ejpeiker

Yup, you hit the nail on the head - I am one of those. I own an XF system and would love to complement/back that up with something light like the X1D but if it does not fit into my established workflow that I use for my Phase, Sony and Nikon systems, which means C1 Pro on the front end, I'm not going to buy it.

hcubell

Yup, you hit the nail on the head - I am one of those. I own an XF system and would love to complement/back that up with something light like the X1D but if it does not fit into my established workflow that I use for my Phase, Sony and Nikon systems, which means C1 Pro on the front end, I'm not going to buy it.
That's your choice. In contrast, I am totally brand agnostic. I personally would never let a company dictate to me my choice of camera equipment by telling me I can't use that equipment if I want to use their raw conversion software that is otherwise marketed as market leading raw conversion software for (almost) all camera systems. If there is a camera system I want to use, I will figure out how to make effective use of it. I can do quite nicely with Phocus or Lightroom for Hasselblad files, and Lightroom for Fuji GFX files.

ejpeiker

That's your choice. In contrast, I am totally brand agnostic. I personally would never let a company dictate to me my choice of camera equipment by telling me I can't use that equipment if I want to use their raw conversion software that is otherwise marketed as market leading raw conversion software for (almost) all camera systems. If there is a camera system I want to use, I will figure out how to make effective use of it. I can do quite nicely with Phocus or Lightroom for Hasselblad files, and Lightroom for Fuji GFX files.
If I didn't need to custom process literally 10's of thousands of images a year I would feel exactly the same way you do - but with that volume and hand adjusting each one, an efficient workflow is super important to me.

Last edited:

hcubell

If I didn't need to custom process literally 10's of thousands of images a year I would feel exactly the same way you do - but with that volume and hand adjusting each one, an efficient workflow is super important to me.
Ok, I understand. That makes more sense to me. My needs are very different in terms of how many files I will actually commit to work on during the course of a year. I spend an inordinate amount of time on the files I choose to work on each year, but I probably focus on less than 100 files during the course of any year.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I don't know what "official response" you're referring to. But even without knowing I can tell you it's only politics/politeness. Phase One has not, does not, and will not support competing larger-than-35mm solutions in Capture One.

fotoism

I don't know what "official response" you're referring to. But even without knowing I can tell you it's only politics/politeness. Phase One has not, does not, and will not support competing larger-than-35mm solutions in Capture One.
I have no luck opening .RW2 files in C1 from my Lumix ZS50 camera, which is nowhere near being a competitor to P1 cameras. Am I missing something? :(

algrove

C1 publishes a list of cameras they support on their website. It also mentions which software release is needed if I recall.

fotoism

Thanks algrove, I did check the list and ZS50 is not there. I thought only "competitors" are not supported but am surprised a Lumix P&S is also left off. Just wonder if .RW2 is used by any other MF cameras.:rolleyes:

Sorry for sidetracking, back to MF now.

algrove

Thanks algrove, I did check the list and ZS50 is not there. I thought only "competitors" are not supported but am surprised a Lumix P&S is also left off. Just wonder if .RW2 is used by any other MF cameras.:rolleyes:

Sorry for sidetracking, back to MF now.
RW2 is used by Sony if I recall. Maybe I am wrong.