The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hc150 or hc210

Fran

Hi everyone! Im indecise to buy one of these ( i will buy a hc100 too) for my new h4d60.. it will be only for portraits.. what do you think will be the better option? Pics are always wellcome!

Cheers!

Miller

Hi Fran,

I can only share some limited experience with the setups I have used.
When shooting portraits I tend to use the HC 80 and the TC 1,7. This combination gives nice results, but is a bit short.
I don't like the HC 210 for portraits myself, because of the weight and the distance to the subject. but then, I don't like to use a tripod for portraits.
If I were to shoot more portraits, I would certainly consider the HC 150, or perhaps the HC 120.
You might have a look at http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=1449.0 for more info on the HC 150.
It would be nice to test different options before buying.

Dustbak

If you are not shooting from a tripod at a set distance I would certainly advise you to go for the HC150. Both lenses are really sharp. The 210 is even sharper than the HC150 however the AF of the HC150 is really fast! I think the HC150 is one of the fastest focussing HC lenses where as the HC210 is one of the slowest (right after the HC120). Personally this is the reason I prefer using the HC150 for portraits/people. The HC210 does render lovely though, even with that it is one of my least used lenses.

Giorgio

Ideally you want them both, the HC150 being the most useful.
You will have opportunity and the need for both.

modator

Hola Fran !

I have both, and both are very sharp, 150 it's true little faster than the 210. Both are very crisp in detail and very suitable for portrait, both, to get crisp image need to be used with tripod, as they are tele and even at 1/250s hand held 50 or 60 mpixel are very demanding (if you need perfection a 100%) .

If Your work is around people, the 150 or 100 are the lens to go, if You do landscape / nature etc. both are very good, it depends on what crop you prefer, as this lenses are tele but not so long (the 150 is equivalent to a 100mm or so).

Someone always say that 100 + 1,7x TC is the same as or better than HC150...
I test this combination and I can say this: maybe same as 150 but surely not the same as 150n in performance / sharpness.

If You choose the 150 try to find the "N" Version (the last developed) this one have better performance from the oldest 150.

Pay attention about the old 150 this was one of the first lens of H set , and it's easy to find very very old HC Lenses of this type, overused and prone to fail, search always the N and the one with sun shade with plastic ring (the one with metallic coupling ring are at least 10 year old)..

concluding, both 150 and 210 are capable of producing very good image, and the choice is always personal.

Happy new Year, Domenico.

Dustbak

AFAIK, the HC150N is optically identical to the HC150 with the exception of the coating on the glass. The N version is supposedly lead free where as the previous 150 was not.

Ah, I remembered this being discussed a while ago. It seems I have it wrong. This was it according to Paul Claesson (working for HB at the time).

Begin Quote
"The new HC 150N has been optically redesigned for improved chromatic aberration correction. The sharpness over the whole of the image area is now also more evenly distributed.

The lens shade bayonet has been improved for better fitting and the front ring now has the marking “3,2/150N”.

150Nmm HC MTF

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA"
End quote.

BTW I have the old version and mine is excellent. Very very sharp and CA is very well dealt with by Phocus. I never bothered getting the N version. I did with the Macro and the 50 get the II version.

Fran

Thanks! Your answers make sense and i will try to find a decent 150N.

:thumbup: