The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad to be acquired by DJI

Satrycon

these guys do some very cool stuff >https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChV3fYqII6gQ2huK-5Ks_5w

https://youtu.be/SZMska3DABE

https://youtu.be/NtWaOr_LwzA

https://youtu.be/KTXulfL3XgU

China is probably one of the largest market for medium format digital. Photography gear is considered to be a kind of luxury consumption there. You could easily find such a "photography club" if you own the corresponding gear. I wouldn't be surprised if they could better afford such cameras than the western countries can :grin:

Oh by they way, for medium format digital, Chinese love Hasselblad, Phase One and Alpa. They are not that much interested in Cambo, Arca or Leica though.

View attachment 123695

View attachment 123696

View attachment 123697

HiggsSinglet

That last photo of ALPAs belongs to a group call 40 degrees, very possibly the largest concentration of ALPA/IQ3100 group on this planet. I think China is the largest market for ALPA currently.

archivue

That last photo of ALPAs belongs to a group call 40 degrees, very possibly the largest concentration of ALPA/IQ3100 group on this planet. I think China is the largest market for ALPA currently.
any name of good Chinese photographer using a technical camera ?

richardman

Certainly, most top-named gear are purchased in China for status purpose. It's the latest equivalence of "Leica using dentists".

However, there are plenty of very good photographers from China as well, using all sort of gear, Alpa and otherwise. I don't know tech camera photogs off-hand, but here's a guy that lugged around a large format camera doing documentary portraits

With a large format camera documentary Humanities

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Certainly, most top-named gear are purchased in China for status purpose. It's the latest equivalence of "Leica using dentists".

However, there are plenty of very good photographers from China as well, using all sort of gear, Alpa and otherwise. I don't know tech camera photogs off-hand, but here's a guy that lugged around a large format camera doing documentary portraits

With a large format camera documentary Humanities
Exactly. It's important to be aware of the fact that China is more than a source for cheap cameras. According to statistics I recently saw, there are now over 100 million households in China with an annual income above USD 20,000. It's a hugely important market for any product.

cerett

China is probably one of the largest market for medium format digital. Photography gear is considered to be a kind of luxury consumption there. You could easily find such a "photography club" if you own the corresponding gear. I wouldn't be surprised if they could better afford such cameras than the western countries can :grin:

Oh by they way, for medium format digital, Chinese love Hasselblad, Phase One and Alpa. They are not that much interested in Cambo, Arca or Leica though.

View attachment 123695

View attachment 123696

View attachment 123697
Thanks - Incredible photographs. I also see that RRS tripods have made it to China. Didn't know that, but why not.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I know this has been mentioned a few times in the "Where's my X1D" thread, but probably this deserves its own thread.

https://luminous-landscape.com/hasselblad-acquired-dji/
In the article, Kevin Raber writes: "Some digital camera companies tried to purchase Hasselblad, but in the end, it was bought by Imacon, a film scanner company."

As far as I know, that is simply not true. Shriro Group, the Hong Kong Chinese distributor of Hasselblad in large parts of Asia that was at the time the majority owner of Hasselblad, acquired Imacon and merged the two companies. Correct me if I'm wrong.

beano_z

any name of good Chinese photographer using a technical camera ?
If you're going to comment, please make sure it's relevant to the content.....or at least say something funny so we can have a laugh, no one here is interested to read the attempted sarcasm reflecting your inner bitterness...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
In no way should this acquisition be viewed as positive news and current and potential HB owners should be concerned . It seems pretty clear that HB ran out of money attempting to ramp up production of the X1D . They were unable to obtain outside funding even with a large backlog of firm orders . The X1D was rushed to market over 6 months ago and clearly wasn t ready . If they had a market ready product and enough working capital to keep production going ...the right answer was to produce and sell as many as they could .

When a situation like this occurs ..a minority shareholder ...has only a few options to avoid losing most if not all of their investment . If they are to provide additional funding (for working capital) they can dictate the terms . Consider ..what is fair market value for a company on the verge of bankruptcy ...

There is little logic that DJI WANTS to infuse more cash into HB .

With that said ..they should certainly supply enough to get the X1D orders produced ....but that also assumes that the X1D orders can produce a positive cash flow .

FYI ....I have a high regard for HB and the X1D design is terrific ... was really looking forward to a energized HB competing in the MF market . This seems pretty unlikely and I hope I am proven wrong .

KeithL

In no way should this acquisition be viewed as positive news and current and potential HB owners should be concerned . It seems pretty clear that HB ran out of money attempting to ramp up production of the X1D . They were unable to obtain outside funding even with a large backlog of firm orders . The X1D was rushed to market over 6 months ago and clearly wasn t ready . If they had a market ready product and enough working capital to keep production going ...the right answer was to produce and sell as many as they could .

When a situation like this occurs ..a minority shareholder ...has only a few options to avoid losing most if not all of their investment . If they are to provide additional funding (for working capital) they can dictate the terms . Consider ..what is fair market value for a company on the verge of bankruptcy ...

With that said ..they should certainly supply enough to get the X1D orders produced ....but that also assumes that the X1D orders can produce a positive cash flow .

FYI ....I have a high regard for HB and the X1D design is terrific ... was really looking forward to a energized HB competing in the MF market . This seems pretty unlikely and I hope I am proven wrong .
Yet another commentary based on supposition.

Cause the only reason to increase your stake in a company is when said company is in dire straits!

modator

Unfortunately there is something true about the big troubles in Medium Format segment...

Not much orders... few, very few.

In the mass market of photography, TODAY, the MF segment have less profit than analog B/W Film...

The producers :

First of all except the "new" rising star in this segment "FUJI" that is Japanese, the other are founded in EUROPE... Denmark and Sweden are EUROPEAN... no one is made in USA.. no one is using component made in USA.

It get me laughing reading "glad I did not buy chinablad"... Sir, today is not easy find something that's china free !!
It's most easy to find items that are USA free, especially in the photography field...

Now, in the real world, best optic components come from, Japan, Korea, China, Malaysia, the two European brand are HASSELBLAD and P1, both have little asset with circa 200 employees each in total (if not less), both are little atelier like tiny watch maker, they produce very little volumes, in very little factory.

The product is made of mixed technology, piece are are almost assembled, but produced elsewhere in the best case the parts arrive from Japan, the software interface base come from OS made for cell phones and the software is adapted and developed by people that even didn't known what is photography...
Thanks the knowhow of a generation of people that work in this business and traditional European productive tissue made of knowledge craftsmanship passion and excellence the MF camera get the light, ideas and product get out and sell.

Both P1 and H are in trouble especially few years ago, now both are supported by financial and capital groups and brand such as DJI in the case of Hasselblad (that's not a problem... they need founding).

I see this acquisition "if true" very important especially because Hasselblad is the one with the best platform development, and a lot of new product that truly have moved the MF segment since Photokina 2016.

I was on Photokina 2016 and with my eyes I see the difference between H and P1 last Year... one stand was full of innovative product ready to try, full of people enthusiastic of their work and proud of what they show, another was a stand in a corner joined with a flash brand, dull and void, with peoples that speaks together whit no interest, with few xf bodies abandoned on the table... I bring one xf to try and no one ask me if I was interested... I live it because too heavy and take just some P1 candies..

It's clear P1 is suffering, the market is moving, FUJI is at the door, X1D is selling very well over any expectancy, H is getting stronger with DJI partnership.. and have lens and product in development.

The gear price in the MF scenario is intended to reduce by 10% to 20% particularly due by the introduction of FUJI GFX by the middle of 2017, after some month as always happen a price drop should come !

What a pity if P1 don't find the light in this difficult segment, their price are always 20% / 30% higher than the respective product of the others... what happen, if the concurrence price drops ?

Happy new Year !
Domenico.

Shashin

??? This is usually how it works. You go to the bank and you say we have x number of order totaling y. We need z amount of money to fulfill those orders and the resulting profit will allow us to repay the loan with interest by this date. You can also include projected sales. Since HB is an established company, that will work in their favor.

HB certainly screwed up the launch. The reaction that a well funded company becoming the majority shareholder should be taken as good news, yet people are freaking out. Perhaps if that company was European, the sentiment would have been different.

BANKER1

I absolutely WANT Hasselblad to succeed. European, who cares? Japanese, OK. Chinese, not so much. And, yes, I know Shriro owned it previously.