The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad to be acquired by DJI

pflower

There is no difference in the principle of shareholding in a private company or a publicly listed one in the UK or in the USA. What difference there is, is that publicly listed companies have a hugely more onerous requirement on them as regards disclosure to the relevant financial authorities about their activities and trading records. 1 share in IBM gives you exactly the same rights as 1 share in Hasselblad as against those companies. The major difference is that you can always buy your 1 share in IBM because it is listed on the NYSE. You can only buy your 1 share in Hasselblad (a private company not listed on any stock exchange) if you can find someone who owns that share and is prepared to sell it to you. But the principle of corporate control of both IBM and Hasselblad is the same - the shareholders appoint the Directors and the Directors control the company. If the shareholders don't like the Directors then a majority, in UK law a 75% majority at an AGM or an EGM, can remove those Directors and appoint different ones. The precise mechanism for so doing may differ according to jurisdiction but the principle is the same. So if DJI have taken a majority shareholding in Hasselblad then that means that, depending upon the Articles of Association of Hasselblad and any weird (i.e divergent) principle of Swedish corporate law, they are in a position to influence and possibly determine the direction the company takes. But it does not mean that they have necessarily invested any money into Hasselblad. I hope they do and I hope that my pre-order of the X1D will be fulfilled soon.

At least according to what I could find, Hasselblad is not a publicly traded company. Most of what is being batted back and forth with respect to shareholders, corporate law, etc. applies to publicly traded companies in the USA. Unless you know Swedish law on privately held companies none of that is relevant.

jduncan

DJI have not acquired Hasselblad.

What they have done is increased their shareholding and will sit on the board alongside Ventizz Capital (existing owners).

DJI have a great deal of technical know how and this is a good thing for Hasselblad.

Speculation about Hasselblad running out of money or communist made cameras is simply that and completely inaccurate.

Hasselblad do not tend to make a habit of replying officially to factually incorrect articles.
I know is not for you to do,
But Hasselblad may lost the oportunity with the X1D-50c because they simply don't understand the modern world.
When the delays of the X1D-50c started to accumulate Hasselblad did not take control of the comunications. They let thier enemies and the speculators guide the conversations.
Eventually they release an status on the overwelmenind demand, but they did not back it up with a comunication strategy (A blog with pictures, updated once a week with the progress will have created even more entusiams).
Now this hapend and they asume the "Hasselblad do not tend to make a habit of replying officially to factually incorrect articles.". This is 2017. Mainstream news like CNN, ABCnews, Fox and technology news have done an habit of printing rewrites of macrums as news for clicks. Should it be? no, but it is. When the article was published, Hasselblad should have taken the control of the information. Do a google search for Hasselblad and see what you get: Articles from the main sources all pointing to the speculative and negative article. If you have the influece, try to make them undestand that not replying officially to factually incorrect articles is not something that you can do, when the source is the Luminus Landscape a the timing is perfect to hurt the companies future. Notice that dpreview toke time to let Hasselblad control the news, but they refused :

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2691809755/dji-reportedly-acquires-hasselblad
https://www.cinema5d.com/dji-now-majority-owner-in-hasselblad/
DJI Has Acquired Hasselblad: Report
https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/05/dji-acquires-hasselblad-the-iconic-swedish-camera-company/
DJI buying Hasselblad foreshadows photography's aerial future
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/6/14188914/dji-acquires-hasselblad-majority-stake
https://fstoppers.com/aerial/leading-chinese-drone-company-dji-aquires-hasselblad-160273

Notice how reality is being created, the fstopers article confirms the vality by using two sources : Luminus Landscape and Fox Business, but the only source of Fox is the Luminus Landscape.
If I owned Hasselbad the comunication maneger will be searching for a new work right now. It's not the point of how much DJI buy or what are they planing for the brand, the mistake is leting a fully negative article frame the conversation.
This what happened, see the conclution of the FS article:
"With the mirrorless X1D-50c and it's big brother the H6D-100c still not shipping, it's possible that Hasselblad didn't have the money to fulfill orders and sold the majority shares at a discount to keep the brand alive. It's likely that we'll never know the details behind the purchase, or the motivation, but soon enough we'll find out what Hasselblad's future holds. Let's hope it's a bright one."
Notice that aparently, the H6D-100c is not shipping (even if Bernald has one) neiter is the X1D. This is the internet age, you can not just ignore stuff that will become viral.
If we get to next week , and still nothing from Hasselblad the problem of high demmand for the X1D will be fixed in no time.

Sorry for the long answer, but I do believe this is important.

Best regards,

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
All theories about shareholding aside, I think this is mostly good news for Hasselblad:

- DJI is a company in the same industry as Hasselblad, and they obviously share targets and technology.
- DJI has engineering capacity that Hasselblad most likely need, capacity that is much cheaper in China than in Sweden.
- Chinese capitalists mostly have much longer perspectives than the typical 21st century western investor. They are mostly very patient, and invest for their children and grandchildren rather than the financial report of next quarter.

Like with Volvo, I'm sure it will important for the DJI owners to keep the Hasselblad base in Sweden. That's the value of the brand, and they don't want to throw that away. As for Mr. Raber, it's very clear that he has an agenda.

It's clear P1 is suffering, the market is moving, FUJI is at the door, X1D is selling very well over any expectancy, H is getting stronger with DJI partnership.. and have lens and product in development.
One crucial defeat of Phase One is the failure to secure the 100MP sensor exclusively from Sony. Phase One used to be able to prevent Hasselblad from getting the 80MP sensor from Dalsa. This imo is a huge deal.

I like the idea of X1D and GFX because I think that's the correct direction (that mirrorless will eventually replace DSLR in the future).

BANKER1

I know is not for you to do,
But Hasselblad may lost the oportunity with the X1D-50c because they simply don't understand the modern world.
When the delays of the X1D-50c started to accumulate Hasselblad did not toke control of the comunications. They let thier enemies and the speculators guide the conversations.
Eventually they release an status of the overwelmenind demand, bud they did not back it up with a comunication strtegie (A blog with pictures, updated onece a week with the progress will have created even more entusiams).
Now this hapend and the asume the "Hasselblad do not tend to make a habit of replying officially to factually incorrect articles.". This is 2017. Mainstream news like CNN, ABCnews, Fox and technology news have done an habit of printing rewrites of macrums as news for clicks. Should it be? no, but it is. When the article was published, Hasselblad should have taken the control of the information. Do a google search for Hasseblaed and see what you get: Articles from the main sources all pinting to the speculative and negative article. If you have the influece, try to make them undestand that not replying officially to factually incorrect articles is not something that you can do, when the source is the Luminus Landscape a the timing is perfect to hurt the companies futurw. Notice that dpreview toke time to let Hasselblad control the news, but they refused :

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2691809755/dji-reportedly-acquires-hasselblad
https://www.cinema5d.com/dji-now-majority-owner-in-hasselblad/
DJI Has Acquired Hasselblad: Report
https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/05/dji-acquires-hasselblad-the-iconic-swedish-camera-company/
DJI buying Hasselblad foreshadows photography's aerial future
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/6/14188914/dji-acquires-hasselblad-majority-stake
https://fstoppers.com/aerial/leading-chinese-drone-company-dji-aquires-hasselblad-160273

Notice how reality is being created, the fstopers article confirms the vality by using two sources : Luminus Landscape and Fox Business, but the only source of Fox is the Luminusl Landscape.
If I owned Hasselbad the comunication maneger will be searching for a new work right now. It's not the point of how much DJI buy or what are they planing for the brand, the mistake is leting a fully negative article frame the conversation.
This what happened, see the conclution of the FS article:
"With the mirrorless X1D-50c and it's big brother the H6D-100c still not shipping, it's possible that Hasselblad didn't have the money to fulfill orders and sold the majority shares at a discount to keep the brand alive. It's likely that we'll never know the details behind the purchase, or the motivation, but soon enough we'll find out what Hasselblad's future holds. Let's hope it's a bright one."
Notice that aparently, the H6D-100c is not shipping (even if Bernald has one) neiter is the X1D. This is the internet age, you can not just ignore stuff that will become viral.
If we get to next week , and still nothing from Hasselblad the problem of high demmand for the X1D will be fixed in no time.

Sorry for the long answer, but I do believe this is important.

Best regards,
I can almost guarantee that Nick has communicated to Hasselblad the importance of better communication with their customers. How much influence Nick has with Hasselblad may not be all that important at this point, because Hasselblad follows these threads and must know the severe error of their way. But, inexplicably, they continue to bury their head in the sand and do nothing. If past performance predicts future action, I do not think we will hear anything, and sadly your prediction of cancelled orders may be an eventuality. Who knows, that may be their solution to the problem of too many orders for the camera. Maybe they think there are only a few of us sitting in our bedrooms, posting to these threads, drumming our fingers, and waiting for their products. My nine year old grandson could do a better job. Adjectives such as mystifying, unbelievable, perplexing, baffling, bewildering, puzzling, confounding, bemusing, confusing, all describe the actions of Hasselblad.

hcubell

I can almost guarantee that Nick has communicated to Hasselblad the importance of better communication with their customers. How much influence Nick has with Hasselblad may not be all that important at this point, because Hasselblad follows these threads and must know the severe error of their way. But, inexplicably, they continue to bury their head in the sand and do nothing. If past performance predicts future action, I do not think we will hear anything, and sadly your prediction of cancelled orders may be an eventuality. Who knows, that may be their solution to the problem of too many orders for the camera. Maybe they think there are only a few of us sitting in our bedrooms, posting to these threads, drumming our fingers, and waiting for their products. My nine year old grandson could do a better job. Adjectives such as mystifying, unbelievable, perplexing, baffling, bewildering, puzzling, confounding, bemusing, confusing, all describe the actions of Hasselblad.
I could not agree more. Often, it makes sense for a company NOT to respond to rumors and conjecture in the internet. This is not one of those times. Hasselblad is making a mistake to allow Kevin Raber and the other predictors of doom and gloom to control the messaging.

Christopher

With the whole subject what shocks me most is the NONE REACTION from Hasselblad.... I'm just thinking aloud but if it was REALLY false information, why not react with a quick decisive move to end it all.

If it's wrong they could easily force Kevin to correct it and take control of the whole situation, but as many pointed out communication really is a disaster from Hasselblad. It's just pitifull.

So even though I was surprised and sceptical at the beginning of KR was correct, the more time passes without ANY action from Hasselblad, is just a confirmation that SOMETHING happened.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hasselblad and Phase One both have considerable challenges ahead, with just over $30 million in revenue each per year, they are tiny companies and they rely totally on mega corporations like Sony for vital parts like sensors. Joining up with DJI ($1 billion in annual revenues and probably growing) makes total sense then, and anybody with connections to Phase One will obviously see that as a threat.

DJI on the other side needs to diversify. The drone market won't grow into heaven, neither way, and a high-end company like Hasselblad is probably an ideal partner. It's a pity that Hasselblad burned so much moon material on the Lunar campaign. With DJI, it's actually relevant, and the A5D even looks a bit like the Apollo cameras.

Another thing that made sense was to launch the X1D camera early. Hasselblad must have known that an announcement from Fujifilm was imminent, and with more than $20 billion in revenue, Fujifilm has the muscle to outrun Hasselblad at any distance. Then, being early at the start blocks becomes vital. It's Cinderella vs. Hulk Hogan. You want to stay in front.

While I agree that they have managed the PR part rather badly, both with regards to the delay of the X1D and their intentions with DJI, Kevin Raber's timing is perfect. Few organisations are fully running on 4th January, and my guess is that the article has come as a total surprise to Hasselblad. Unfortunately, the tone throughout the article makes me feel that it's written by a man with an ax to grind.

"Hasselblad, the iconic Swedish camera company, is now owned by the Chinese drone maker DJI. Sooner or later, this will all become public." That says it all. A "drone maker", not even a proper camera company, and a Chinese one at that. Well Mr. Raber, Volvo is owned by the Chinese too, and Jaguar and Land Rover by the Indians. Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti are owned by a German company initiated to produce affordable cars for the joy of the German people. The world is changing. Get used to it.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hasselblad and Phase One both have considerable challenges ahead, with just over $30 million in revenue each per year, they are tiny companies and they rely totally on mega corporations like Sony for vital parts like sensors. Joining up with DJI ($1 billion in annual revenues and probably growing) makes total sense then, and anybody with connections to Phase One will obviously see that as a threat.

DJI on the other side needs to diversify. The drone market won't grow into heaven, neither way, and a high-end company like Hasselblad is probably an ideal partner. It's a pity that Hasselblad burned so much moon material on the Lunar campaign. With DJI, it's actually relevant, and the A5D even looks a bit like the Apollo cameras.

Another thing that made sense was to launch the X1D camera early. Hasselblad must have known that an announcement from Fujifilm was imminent, and with more than $20 billion in revenue, Fujifilm has the muscle to outrun Hasselblad at any distance. Then, being early at the start blocks becomes vital. It's Cinderella vs. Hulk Hogan. You want to stay in front.

While I agree that they have managed the PR part rather badly, both with regards to the delay of the X1D and their intentions with DJI, Kevin Raber's timing is perfect. Few organisations are fully running on 4th January, and my guess is that the article has come as a total surprise to Hasselblad. Unfortunately, the tone throughout the article makes me feel that it's written by a man with an ax to grind.

"Hasselblad, the iconic Swedish camera company, is now owned by the Chinese drone maker DJI. Sooner or later, this will all become public." That says it all. A "drone maker", not even a proper camera company, and a Chinese one at that. Well Mr. Raber, Volvo is owned by the Chinese too, and Jaguar and Land Rover by the Indians. Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti are owned by a German company initiated to produce affordable cars for the joy of the German people. The world is changing. Get used to it.
Jorgen

Thank you for this post as it lays out important FACTS that support Raber s position .

Why did DJI invest in HB in the first place ? Seems like that wanted a close partnership in creating high resolution aerial photography solutions . Growth opportunity to move to high price point solutions .

Why did DJI increase their position ? Was necessary to help HB thru a maybe short term working capital shortfall ? Wanted board participation to insure that aerial solutions were funded and DJI interests protected ? The opportunity came thru the venture capitalists and they could improve their position on the cheap ? The VC wants a financial return ..DJI wants a strategic partnership .

Why would this be a risk to the HB we as consumers seem to want ? Don t they get the money they need to bring the new products to market ? YES but until we learned of the recent new product delays ...most assumed HB was on the upswing and things looked good going into 2017 . I never focused on really how small HB has become .

Whats it take to turnaround a company like HB ? They have been in the ditch (struggling for over a decade ) . The new CEO has put a lot of emphasis on team building and restoring the HB culture . MADE IN SWEDEN is important to this process and to what is left of the skilled work force . Now add in the desire to increase production capacity for the new products . Not a straight forward process for the new CEO . In fact that HB could even bring a new camera like the X1D to market is a huge accomplishment .

DJI can certainly keep HB afloat financially ...but how might things change under their ownership ? What looks like an impossibly difficult turnaround has just become tougher .

Impressive what the new CEO has accomplished . No one knows for sure anything . Will HB gets the funds to keep the new products on schedule ? Will they be able to rebuild around the Made in Sweden focus that is critical to the companies work force ? How will the presence of a strong new competitor (Fuji) affect their market ? How will Sony s dominance of the MF sensor market impact HB ? (another interesting factor affecting all MF products ).

These challenges are not positive events for HB and Raber is in a good position to assess how they are effecting the company . He shared that he is pessimistic that HB will change MORE from their brand legacy as a premier camera company . Its his opinion and should be (1)understood and (2) given due consideration .

Roger

KeithL

Pages and pages of assumption, unsubstantiated rumour and gossip.

It is substantiated fact that, intentionally or not, by publishing this article Kevin Raber has provoked a great deal of uncertainty and concern.

Last edited:

darr

I cannot help but speculate the LL article has the bias of the author's financial ties, either past or present, with Phase One. IMO, the article was designed to dump a bold statement with a negative tone. Why can't DJI who was already with Hasselblad AND in the photography business be seen as a positive or a neutral move? I do not get it. Hasselblad needed money and DJI stepped-up; they were already sitting at the table. Why paint this as a bad move or a complete takeover? Might this be a scare tactic to turn prospective customers away? I believe the author has a personal agenda. Maybe the author has retirement monies tied with Phase One stock. Just another speculation .... :thumbdown:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

It is substantiated fact that, intentionally or not, by publishing this article Kevin Raber has provoked a great deal of uncertainty and concern.
Keith

Ok lets try listing the facts :

HB has a history of attempting business turnarounds with a revolving door of CEOs and Venture capitalists .They have not been very successful over the past decade . They frequently cite that they are a small company with limited resources .

They have new CEO that has managed the development process of several ,exciting new products .

The entire industry and the smaller medium format camera producers are facing greater competition from larger and stronger producers (e.g.Fuji ) .

Sony has establish a dominant position in the critical sensor production...

HB products have been slow to come to market .

DJI has been successful in its market place and is large and financial strong.

DJI has collaborated with HB to bring high definition aerial photography solutions to market . (some one could check but my guess is this was viewed as very positive and provided some needed capital to HB)

DJI has increased its ownership in HB and now has a board seat . The board is shared by a VC and DJI.

Nothing has been reported by HB , DJI or the VC to explain the ownership change .

Kevin Raber has a long history in the industry and has been generally well respected . (maybe just my opinion here ). He did work many years for Phase . He has established a dialogue with the new CEO and provided him with access to the market thru LL.

Kevin Raber has written an OPINION PIECE .....saying in essence that HB MAY NOT be the same premier camera maker he had hoped for . The tone was negative .

It has caused substantial SPECULATION on whats going on at HB and why .

Those appear to be the facts ..at least as I understand them .

Kevin gave us his opinion on what they mean for HB . Doesn t mean he is correct ..it speculation about the future . You can draw your own conclusions about Kevin s motivation ,bias in creating his post .

Myself ..I have substantial experience in strategic consulting and business turnarounds ...all I can do is share my perspective based on the above facts .

Isn t this thread really about discussing what the DJI participation may mean for HB ?

KeithL

I have no idea what the DJI participation will mean for Hasselblad and I've no interest in discussing it with a bunch of armchair CEOs.

jecxz

Let me contribute to this wisdom please:

I have many painter friends and I've yet to catch them in a heated debate over the corporations that manufacture their brushes (especially whether they are European or Chinese). In fairness, however, I painfully admit it could be because I am merely a photographer and thus omitted from painterly conversation.

Make photographs, and dare I say art, with the equipment you have today.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have some issues with the facts. Hasselblad was owned by two companies since 2003, the first one being Shriro Group and the other being Ventizz. Claiming that Hasselblad would had a revolving door of Venture capitalist is not true. CEOs, that is another thing.

I would say it is quite natural that far east companies take control of what used to be western companies, they are eager to develop.

I don't think DJI would invest Hasselblad for no good reason. It could be personal thing, like CEO being interested in photography, but more probably they would aspire to make Hasselblad profitable.

Anyway, Hasselblad getting more money is a good thing for Hasselblad. I don't think they will move management or development to China, but synergies are quite probable.

It seems from history that Ventizz doesn't have a good understanding of the photographic industry. The Ventizz era was the one marked by bling "Hasselblad".

Very odd that Hasselblad doesn't seem to have the manufacturing capacity to fulfil existing orders. On the other hand, Zeiss also has problems delivering some of their lens lines for some of the cameras they support.

Anyway, situation may be gloom for Hasselblad but it would be difficult to see the DJI investment like a bad thing.

I cannot see the reason for the negative tone in Kevin Raber's article but he probably feels that he has more information than what is available to us. For instance, he may have market share estimates.

Best regards
Erik

Keith

Ok lets try listing the facts :

HB has a history of attempting business turnarounds with a revolving door of CEOs and Venture capitalists .They have not been very successful over the past decade . They frequently cite that they are a small company with limited resources .

They have new CEO that has managed the development process of several ,exciting new products .

The entire industry and the smaller medium format camera producers are facing greater competition from larger and stronger producers (e.g.Fuji ) .

Sony has establish a dominant position in the critical sensor production...

HB products have been slow to come to market .

DJI has been successful in its market place and is large and financial strong.

DJI has collaborated with HB to bring high definition aerial photography solutions to market . (some one could check but my guess is this was viewed as very positive and provided some needed capital to HB)

DJI has increased its ownership in HB and now has a board seat . The board is shared by a VC and DJI.

Nothing has been reported by HB , DJI or the VC to explain the ownership change .

Kevin Raber has a long history in the industry and has been generally well respected . (maybe just my opinion here ). He did work many years for Phase . He has established a dialogue with the new CEO and provided him with access to the market thru LL.

Kevin Raber has written an OPINION PIECE .....saying in essence that HB MAY NOT be the same premier camera maker he had hoped for . The tone was negative .

Those appear to be the facts ..at least as I understand them .

Kevin gave us his opinion on what they mean for HB . Doesn t mean he is correct ..it speculation about the future . You can draw your own conclusions about Kevin s motivation ,bias in creating his post .

Myself ..I have substantial experience in strategic consulting and business turnarounds ...all I can do is share my perspective based on the above facts .

Isn t this thread really about discussing what the DJI participation may mean for HB ?

jerome_m

Kevin Raber has a long history in the industry and has been generally well respected . (maybe just my opinion here ). He did work many years for Phase .
13 years and 5 months as a Vice President according to his public linkedin profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevin-raber-49bba31. According to his profile on lula https://luminous-landscape.com/team/kevin-raber/:
In 1999 I joined Phase One and for 13 years performed a number of tasks for Phase One. These include dealer management, sales management, and the formation of the PODAS workshop series.

Therefore, it seems that he has more than a passing interest in the management of sales and customers for Phase One. There is nothing wrong with that, but when one considers that:
-Kevin Raber bought Lula from Michael Reichman in mid 2013,
-in November 2015, Lula became "subscription only", which actually means that they reduced the yearly video subscription from 150$ to 12$,
-all advertisement on Lula is from Phase One or exclusive Phase One dealers,
it feels like Lula is little more than a Phase One subsidiary.

Now, Phase One is entitled to their own forum just as much as Leica is entitled to their own forum. That is not a problem per se. The problem is when Lula publishes articles about Phase One competitors while trying to appear as an independent source. That is dishonest.

The article has caused widespread speculation because it is written to cause FUD: fear, uncertainty and doubt. I think that anyone who reads the article with an open mind will recognise that. That is the real and only problem with that article: it is dishonest and manipulative.

KeithL

...The article has caused widespread speculation because it is written to cause FUD: fear, uncertainty and doubt. I think that anyone who reads the article with an open mind will recognise that...
I can tell you I used Hasselblad film and digital cameras for more years than I care to remember and loved every minute. I only went elsewhere because the balance of my work changed.

I can tell you that as a Hasselblad user I supplied Hasselblad with images for editorial and promotional material.

I can tell you that as a prospective X1D customer - and despite my history of owning, using and loving Hasselblad cameras - Kevin Raber's article caused me considerable fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I can tell you if Kevin Raber's article was meant to be to the greater good of Hasselblad as a company then it failed miserably.

jerome_m

I can tell you I used Hasselblad film and digital cameras for more years than I care to remember and loved every minute.
Thank you, I use a H4D myself and am very pleased with it but that is not quite the point. I don't defend Hasselblad because I am a satisfied user. I object to a particular article because it is dishonest.

Now, we should all know about "fake news" on the Internet. In photography, we have these news regularly. I remembered when it was announced that Sony will abandon full frame sensor design, when Olympus was said to be bankrupt, when Nikon or Canon were said to be in great difficulties, etc... I objected to these in exactly the same manner. Not because I would be a customer of all these companies (I am not), but because the news were fake. Manipulative. Dishonest.

KeithL

Thank you, I use a H4D myself and am very pleased with it but that is not quite the point. I don't defend Hasselblad because I am a satisfied user...
What was it about my post that led you to believe I was in any way defending Hasselblad? What was it exactly I was defending?