The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad to be acquired by DJI

jerome_m

What was it about my post that led you to believe I was in any way defending Hasselblad? What was it exactly I was defending?
I did not write that. I wrote that the reason I object to the article is not that I am an Hasselblad user. Peace, zen, good omen, and sorry if you understood it in any different way.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi,

I have some issues with the facts. Hasselblad was owned by two companies since 2003, the first one being Shriro Group and the other being Ventizz. Claiming that Hasselblad would had a revolving door of Venture capitalist is not true. CEOs, that is another thing.

I would say it is quite natural that far east companies take control of what used to be western companies, they are eager to develop.

I don't think DJI would invest Hasselblad for no good reason. It could be personal thing, like CEO being interested in photography, but more probably they would aspire to make Hasselblad profitable.

Anyway, Hasselblad getting more money is a good thing for Hasselblad. I don't think they will move management or development to China, but synergies are quite probable.

It seems from history that Ventizz doesn't have a good understanding of the photographic industry. The Ventizz era was the one marked by bling "Hasselblad".

Very odd that Hasselblad doesn't seem to have the manufacturing capacity to fulfil existing orders. On the other hand, Zeiss also has problems delivering some of their lens lines for some of the cameras they support.

Anyway, situation may be gloom for Hasselblad but it would be difficult to see the DJI investment like a bad thing.

I cannot see the reason for the negative tone in Kevin Raber's article but he probably feels that he has more information than what is available to us. For instance, he may have market share estimates.

Best regards
Erik
Ok Eric ..sorry only two venture capital owners ...

Did anyone say DJI bought in for no good reason ?

When you quote someone in your post ..try to read it first ..rather than restating the facts to suit your argument .

Roger

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ok Eric ..sorry only two venture capital owners ...

Roger
Shriro is not a venture capital firm. It's a Hong Kong based trading company established in Harbin, China in 1906. They operate in 16 countries and have more than 3,500 employees. They have been Hasselblad distributors in many of those countries for decades and still are. Other camera products they distribute in one or more countries are Linhof, Zeiss, Broncolor, Tamrac, Foba, Profoto, Sigma, Slik, Billingham, Polaroid, Harman, Blackmagic, Tiffen, Heliopan and Fujifilm.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's also fair to mention that DJI, in addition to making "toy helicopters", make camera (mostly video) accessories and a couple of rather advanced cameras. The most advanced, the ZENMUSE X5S, is a m4/3 camera designed for drones that among other things shoots 4K 60p in cinema DNG at a bitrate of 4Gbps. It also shoots 20MP stills and 5.2K video and is selling at a price of $1,899. It would have been impressive enough if they managed to come up with this technology in a handheld camera that weighed a couple of kilograms, but the ZENMUSE X5S weighs 461 grams.

modator

NOW is true !!

From a trusted photo rumors and some other really serious sources, the announce of Hasselblad cold fusion with DJI is confirmed !!

From a note available on their website Hasselblad have disclosed a full new bunch of products, including the new camera line: :clap:

Hasselblad - DJI-6 50 CMOS
Hasselblad - DJI-6 D100 Phantom CMOS
Hasselblad - DJI-3 X1D Sparrow COMS X

All new product are ready to sell in quantity of million pieces each and three million pieces for the X1D Sparrow CMOS,
with DJI partnership the camera are all made of recycled plastic by gipsies engineers in a big dream factory plant, situated in, North Korea ! (this to avoid
the infamous chinablad appellation) in the new North Korea factory the quality is guarantee by the death penalty plus the refund of the month salary.

That's not all ! ! ! !

A recent photo trafugate to the net is showing a strange product, "a new camera" in a cap format ?

Agitation in the market...

Possibly this new product can get shadow on suffering medium format segment, P1 is worried, maybe this new cap is incorporating the futuristic seismic detector, LULA is still engaged to write an article, the infamous chinacap is at the door but with this stolen technology even if is capable of Medium format aerial photo at 200MPix at ISO 64000 is not good for professional... :loco:

Stay tuned for new disclosure !

:ROTFL:

Iktinos

Not Available
I believe that KR's "article", other than the obvious intention to damage Hassy's reputation in favor of P1 sales, is so badly written, to the extend that it will have the opposite results than it aims for both P1 sales and Lula's (whatever left of) reputation.

cerett

I hope someone from Hasselblad is reading this and other threads and getting a clear picture of the frustration and anger the current manufacturing delays are causing.

algrove

They are paying some suppliers in order to get product in house for assembly. Be patient financiang is not a quick fix.

BANKER1

I hope someone from Hasselblad is reading this and other threads and getting a clear picture of the frustration and anger the current manufacturing delays are causing.
Don't worry, they are. But, I am surprised that "Hasselblad Official" hasn't said something. And, it seems like every time someone says something here, they get their hand bitten.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After all we have seen over the past few years happening to Hasselblad my hope gets less and less every day that this company will survive by any means. I have no more trust in what they are doing - or maybe better what is done with them.

I do hope so I am wrong!!!!

algrove

Above it all, I would like to see either Hasselblad or DJI release a statement. Better yet, a joint statement would be perfect.

jduncan

Could not HB issue bonds or any other form of financing other than stock for DJI to buy?
It's complex: The bonds have a financial cost that the sale of stock does not have. Sometimes companies use bonds instead stock, to finance growth, because the current stock owners don't want to dilute ownership, or they lack the funds, or to increase the dividend by share(*). In general increasing stock is far less expensive. Also, DJI is a very good partner and many companies like Apple, see them as so. Also, anytime soon China could go India's route and demand a build in China % for all the electronic goods, but that is just an educated guess.
What is factual is:
1. Is less expensive and faster to finance via stock (no interest, and no formalization fees)
2. DJI is already a stockholder
3. DJI is an expert company with ties to the growing Chinese market.
4. The only reason to reject DJI investment is the fear of the racist, or and eurocentric people that will see "Chinese" as bad (not talking about you, I understand that you are talking about the bad press). DJI is the leader of their market. Please take into account the nature of the article. If Hasselblad issued bonds the article will say is a desesperate move to get funds.

Best regards
---
* I avoid the fiscal issue because, I believe, does not pertain to Hasselblad. The interest you pay is a cost, so is subtracted from the company earnings to get the taxable income. That could move a company from one financial bracket to the other.

Iktinos

Not Available
Above it all, I would like to see either Hasselblad or DJI release a statement. Better yet, a joint statement would be perfect.
I disagree on this... Why release a statement if there is no issue to release a statement for? ...just because KR is desperate to invent an issue through a questionable in its reasoning and presented facts "article" as to damage Hassy's reputation in favor of competition, isn't a reason for Hassy to release a statement.

Obviously Hassy misjudged the demand X1D would have (given the low volume of MF customers up to now and the different profile of cameras until the mirrorless cameras where introduced, which caused low marketing information) and ended up setting a target volume much lower than the demand. That's all... funds as to raise production where found, production volume will raise to the one required, Fuji GFX will soon come and raise the MF section of the market even further (to many tens of thousands) and everybody (but the makers that where happy with low market volume - insane prices) will be happy...