The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad to be acquired by DJI

Nick-T

That is quite surprising news.

The astute reader will also notice that the article in dpreview is written in a rather neutral, journalistic tone.
Perry will be sorely missed. He has done a great deal at Hasselblad but has decided that it is time to move on.

Christopher

I really should have written what I though, but I didn't so no it's hard to proof.

When KR write is article I had the feeling he had the highest source possible. Why ? He had so much contact and these great interviews with Perry. He would not have published that article without his friends approval.

I know it's all speculation, but I am VERY sad to see him go. He did a tremendous job with getting Hasselblad back on track.

Iktinos

Not Available
Perry Oosting stays on the board as advisor and Paul Bram moves from advisor to CEO....

“In the beginning of 2015 I was asked to take the role as CEO to secure sustainable growth and prepare the business for the next steps in its development. During 2016, we launched several new products and a complete new electronic platform. The market reaction to the strategic direction and its products were overwhelming. I would like to thank all involved and foresee a bright future for the team of Hasselblad.” said Perry Oosting.

“I am honoured to take on the role as interim CEO for this iconic and much-loved company. Hasselblad represents outstanding quality, passion for fine art and pioneering technology. Over the coming months we will continue the started path and strategic direction, including accelerating R&D and software development in Gothenburg, Sweden. Going forward I am immensely proud to be part of this continuing journey.” said Paul Bram.

My conclusion out of the above comes down to one phrase:

"Now that we have the products and the market success because of them, we will continue the development in the same direction but will boost the software support on them to a level that there will be nothing left that could possibly direct customers towards the competition". Therefore the managment restruction.

jerome_m

My conclusion out of the above comes down to one phrase:

"Now that we have the products and the market success because of them, we will continue the development in the same direction but will boost the software support on them to a level that there will be nothing left that could possibly direct customers towards the competition". Therefore the managment restruction.
As much as I would love to believe what you wrote, I would not read too much in what is standard corporate talk.

Iktinos

Not Available
As much as I would love to believe what you wrote, I would not read too much in what is standard corporate talk.
IMO "we will continue the started path and strategic direction, including accelerating R&D and software development" isn't standard corporate talk, it looks more like the CEO that had the best know-how on what was required in product development goes back to advisor after the target was achieved and the advisor that has the best know-how in software development as to match the previously mentioned product quality advances to CEO.

It makes sense too in Hasselblad's case, Phocus has had four (!) upgrades during 2016 and although it is very capable, there are still customers that may choose competitive products due to some functions that are only offered from competition. If you think about it, Phocus is the only aspect that competition fans may recall anymore when Hasselblad vs. competition debates arise.

I will stick to the DJI partnership/acquisition for this post. After buying the Osmo mobile gimbal for my iPhone and playing around with my friend's Mavic drone for several days... If DJI brings their technology with AF, tracking, and other technological advances, it will put Hasselblad into another category of functionality that we haven't seen in medium format photography before. The Osmo mobile completely changed the abilities of my iPhone. And the Drone is awesome.

algrove

Hey, we all want Hasselblad to succeed in any way they can. I have spent too much in Hassy equipment over my lifetime to want anything else. They are an iconic MF camera company who should not be caste away. Thank you DJI.