The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad to be acquired by DJI

kscott

Well, I suggest you read this thread before getting too carried away ...
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=115479.0

Storm in a teacup ?
I'm not sure why anyone should find the rebuttal to KevinR's article any more or less credible than the article itself. We'll have to wait and see if Hasselblad or DJI elect to respond, and if not, the pro- and anti-Hasselblad contingent can carry on as usual, and the folks in the middle will continue to wonder what's going on. Personally, I lack enough conviction in either direction to be anything other than befuddled but still hopeful for Hasselblad's future.

Hasselblad should be acquired by DJI, and Leica should be acquired by Huawei. After all, Chinese brands rule! :lecture:

f8orbust

Well, P1 cashed in and they seem to be doing ok, so fingers crossed for H/B.

After all DJI isn't short of money, and they have a vested interest in imaging systems for their core business.

JeRuFo

I don't really understand the anxiety displayed by Raber. DJI is a company that has revolutionized a market and have lots of development power. If they needed Hasselblad for the engineers they could have more easily go some place else instead of a small camera manufacturer. I think they acquired Hasselblad because they see how special Hasselblad is, but in a good way. They can help with development in a big way. Ofcourse everybody hoped that Hasselblad would see the light and create a somewhat open camera platform again, but at least this way they have the power to keep developing and we can buy an X1D with a little more confidence that this line won't get held back by a lack of money.
The only ones weeping might be Phase One, something tells me that the integration of P1 backs on DJI drones will be slightly inferior to the integration of Hasselblad backs in the future. But then again, I'm not sure P1 could have resisted advances from DJI either.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hasselblad have had Chinese owners before. They were owned by Shriro from 2003 to 2011. It was Shriro that brought Hasselblad into the digital world with the acquisition of Imacon. It was when they were acquired by western venture capital group Ventizz that things started to go awry.

darr

Hasselblad needed money as they approached the technology for their first medium format mirrorless. As someone that started with Phase One and quickly grew tired of their pricing and selling strategies, I am glad DJI stepped-up to the plate. When I purchased a new CFV-50c for $12k and Phase One's comparable back at the time was more than double, I decided to drop Phase One from my needs. Call me selfish, frugal, or practical, but I want to see Hasselblad keep going.

DougDolde

Hasselblad needed money as they approached the technology for their first medium format mirrorless. As someone that started with Phase One and quickly grew tired of their pricing and selling strategies, I am glad DJI stepped-up to the plate. When I purchased a new CFV-50c for $12k and Phase One's comparable back at the time was more than double, I decided to drop Phase One from my needs. Call me selfish, frugal, or practical, but I want to see Hasselblad keep going.
Be careful now some of the IQ3-100 owners here will find this insulting. At least they do when I say P!'s prices are criminal

Glad I didn't order a Chinablad
China is probably one of the largest market for medium format digital. Photography gear is considered to be a kind of luxury consumption there. You could easily find such a "photography club" if you own the corresponding gear. I wouldn't be surprised if they could better afford such cameras than the western countries can :grin:

Oh by they way, for medium format digital, Chinese love Hasselblad, Phase One and Alpa. They are not that much interested in Cambo, Arca or Leica though.

telephoto_group.jpg

hasselblad_group.jpg

alpa_group.jpg