The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX Pricing announced

Paul2660

Hard to say, as in another post, a photographer mentioned seeing all three options, EFC, ES and Focal.

The implementation in the the smaller Fuji's is ES or Focal, no EFC, so that may be the tack they took.

Paul Caldwell

Bernard

Since for me DMF should begin at double FF (48X36), I'll wait for the GFX camera with this sensor (if ever).
Eduardo
I don't think this will happen. Hasselblad and Fuji would not have built entirely new systems without a commitment from Sony that 44x33 will be the standard DMF size going forward.

I expect that future DMF back will be either 44x33 like the GFX, or 53x40 like the IQ3 100. Anything in between won't be enough of a step-up to be relevant.

algrove

I don't think this will happen. Hasselblad and Fuji would not have built entirely new systems without a commitment from Sony that 44x33 will be the standard DMF size going forward.

I expect that future DMF back will be either 44x33 like the GFX, or 53x40 like the IQ3 100. Anything in between won't be enough of a step-up to be relevant.
Agree. Plus it's just a volume issue too. I do not think that many MF sensors are being made even in todays world.

hcubell

Hard to say, as in another post, a photographer mentioned seeing all three options, EFC, ES and Focal.

The implementation in the the smaller Fuji's is ES or Focal, no EFC, so that may be the tack they took.

Paul Caldwell
If Fuji is able to implement EFCS on that Sony 50 MP sensor, that would be pretty amazing and addresses a major concern of mine with the Fuji GFX. I remember when the Sony A7R was first released and the "shutter shock" expose took over the internet discussion about the A7R, there was a lot of speculation as to whether Sony could implement EFCS in the A7R through a firmware update. Well, it never happened. We had to wait for the A7RII. While Sony never issued a public statement about the issue, the general understanding was that a firmware update for EFCS with that sensor was not possible.

Paul2660

If Fuji is able to implement EFCS on that Sony 50 MP sensor, that would be pretty amazing and addresses a major concern of mine with the Fuji GFX. I remember when the Sony A7R was first released and the "shutter shock" expose took over the internet discussion about the A7R, there was a lot of speculation as to whether Sony could implement EFCS in the A7R through a firmware update. Well, it never happened. We had to wait for the A7RII. While Sony never issued a public statement about the issue, the general understanding was that a firmware update for EFCS with that sensor was not possible.
The only one I have seen pretty firm reports on is a full ES. Fuji has a lot of experience with ES in the their X-Pro and X-T2 line on the 16 and 24mp sensors, which by the way are the same Sony sensors that other companies use (without implementing ES).

ES for me would be great, albeit most likely would require a tripod. However I have used the X-Pro and X-T2's ES hand held with good results.

Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

Some more interesting lens adapter rumors on the www.fujirumors.com site for the GFX. Pictures of current H adapter mounted to camera and I believe an Otis.

Appears that an adapter for Lecia and Schneider glass is also in the works and post references the Schneider 35mm F4 not sure if they meant F 3.5. But pic was pulled later this am.

Still great if the adapter does happen. Also appears to be a Fuji Branded adapter, which is even better.

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

Some more interesting lens adapter rumors on the www.fujirumors.com site for the GFX. Pictures of current H adapter mounted to camera and I believe an Otis.

Appears that an adapter for Lecia and Schneider glass is also in the works and post references the Schneider 35mm F4 not sure if they meant F 3.5. But pic was pulled later this am.

Still great if the adapter does happen. Also appears to be a Fuji Branded adapter, which is even better.

Paul Caldwell
This so reminds me of the fanfare surrounding the ability to mount just about any lens on the original Sony A7R, and we know how that worked out in most cases. More to the point, I simply don't get the interest in hanging a lens the size and weight of a bazooka off the front of the GFX. I guess if that's what some want, I hope Fuji builds it for them, but for me, it defeats the whole attraction of mirrorless medium format.

This so reminds me of the fanfare surrounding the ability to mount just about any lens on the original Sony A7R, and we know how that worked out in most cases. More to the point, I simply don't get the interest in hanging a lens the size and weight of a bazooka off the front of the GFX. I guess if that's what some want, I hope Fuji builds it for them, but for me, it defeats the whole attraction of mirrorless medium format.
Most G mount lenses are the size of a bazooka. Still, I would not mind trying one out :)

algrove

Most G mount lenses are the size of a bazooka. Still, I would not mind trying one out :)
Until I have actually rented or used this camera I will defer judgement on lenses being bazooka size. The 63 is 3.5" wide. Heck a XT2 16/1.4 is about 3" wide. Sure the 32-64 is 3.95" wide.:thumbup: Keep in mind Fuji mentions these lenses are good for 100MP sensor resolution. My Phase BR f2.8 lenses are around 3.5" wide

Can't remember the actual size of a bazooka, but it seems it was larger than 4" wide.:grin:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

My experience with mounting adapted lenses on the Sony are extremely good. I use it with three Canon lenses, two Contax lenses, an adapted A-mount lens and a single native E-mount lens.

One day I may decide to ditch the A7rII and go on with a Canon 5DsR. The nice thing with A7rII and the Contax lenses is that I have tilts and swings from 28-135 mm with well working manual apertures.

Best regards
Erik

Paul2660

Actually the 63mm Fuji and 45mm Hasselblad are pretty close in size at least in specs. .31" larger on the 63mm however it's an F 2.8 lens. Net pretty much a wash.

But the mass is the camera is a lot more which I prefer especially if it becomes possible to use P1 glass.

Just a nice investment protection.

Paul Caldwell

jduncan

Some more interesting lens adapter rumors on the www.fujirumors.com site for the GFX. Pictures of current H adapter mounted to the camera and I believe an Otis.

Appears that an adapter for Lecia and Schneider glass is also in the works and post references the Schneider 35mm F4 not sure if they meant F 3.5. But the pic was pulled later this am.

Paul Caldwell
I am sure that if they manage to produce Adapters for Phase One, Leica and Hasselblad many people will evaluate the camera as a second body. I still prefer the X1D form factor as a second body, but this is just me.

Best regards,

baudolino

I am looking more at the successful implementation by Leica of intelligent adapters allowing S users to use Contax 645 and Hasselblad H lenses on their cameras. In my experience, this is seamless, no penalties whatsoever (my H lenses focus as fast as native Leica lenses, their leaf shutters work fine, correct exif data is stored in the files and there are even individual profiles in LR for each H lens used on a Leica S). If Fuji can replicate this for S lenses, then I will get a GFX as a second body. And I don't care that the S lenses are big and the GFX body small. I'd love to shoot portraits with the Summicron S 100 on a 50MP sensor, in a 4:3 format, with automatic face detection/eye focus. I've been using my XT-2 in this way, with the fuji 90/2 lens - it is so fast and accurate that I can use it in this way even in a studio, with strobe lights, without rechecking focus all the time (which I have to do with the S...). Just press the shutter and bingo...works even with the self-timer (shot my new FB profile photo this way, as a "selfie", with studio lights...absolutely perfect focus every time).

hcubell

I am looking more at the successful implementation by Leica of intelligent adapters allowing S users to use Contax 645 and Hasselblad H lenses on their cameras. In my experience, this is seamless, no penalties whatsoever (my H lenses focus as fast as native Leica lenses, their leaf shutters work fine, correct exif data is stored in the files and there are even individual profiles in LR for each H lens used on a Leica S). If Fuji can replicate this for S lenses, then I will get a GFX as a second body. And I don't care that the S lenses are big and the GFX body small. I'd love to shoot portraits with the Summicron S 100 on a 50MP sensor, in a 4:3 format, with automatic face detection/eye focus. I've been using my XT-2 in this way, with the fuji 90/2 lens - it is so fast and accurate that I can use it in this way even in a studio, with strobe lights, without rechecking focus all the time (which I have to do with the S...). Just press the shutter and bingo...works even with the self-timer (shot my new FB profile photo this way, as a "selfie", with studio lights...absolutely perfect focus every time).
I really hope EVERYTHING will work perfectly. Experience tells me that it never does.