The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX Pricing announced

Paul2660

At that price still not a camera for the masses.

It will be most interesting to see final specs and if Fuji has any form of ES or EFC since only 1 lens has OIS.

The X1D with only leaf shutter lenses may have an advantage here but maybe the extra mass of the Fuji will help.

Either way it's hard to invest in either of these solutions using such a limited feature sensor which dates back to around 2012. I realize from using it in the Phase product lines it has great DR but Phase detect for AF and some form of ES are IMO required for a camera at this price point.

Paul Caldwell

I am a wedding photographer who has done some work with small businesses and is trying to get editorial stuff too for smaller publications so, I've been thinking about the GFX a lot. As a camera, I like a lot of what I'm seeing. I loved the 645z when I'd rent it, and Fujifilm has brought that sensor a better, more rounded system. That's super cool. This seems way more targeted at every-day pros than the X1D (no knocking that beauty, just saying).

OTOH...

I have a hard time convincing myself that I need to spend $8k for one camera and 1 lens. Yes, my absolute IQ will go up, probably a lot. But the 63/2.8 is really like dealing with a 50/1.8 in 35mm terms. On my Nikon I have a 58/1.4 which is like a Noctilux for DoF, and a ART 50/1.4 which is a pretty insane amount of sharpness. All of my other primes are 1.4. The sensors in my two bodies are pretty dang great. Low to high ISO, no complaints, with a ton of room for cropping. The AF is essentially state of the art. I'm just not sure what I'd be gaining with the GFX. I really like that it exists! I think it's super cool. But I'm not sure it can do all that much that a D810 can't already do. I'm more coming at it from a pro, ROI, perspective of course. I'm not even arguing that it should be cheaper, I'm just saying it seems harder to justify 33x44 these days. I mean let's be honest...

D810
D750
Sigma ART
50/1.4
35/1.4
24/1.4
85/1.4
=$8000.00

Or:
GFX + 63/2.8
=$8000.00

Now different photographers have different needs but as a wedding shooter...I can see what makes more sense at least on paper to me. Maybe down the line if my business is just swimming in cash and I need a tax write off I could see getting into it. Right now though...even that aging 36mp sensor is more than I often need.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Paul,

A very valid point in my humble opinion!

Best regards
Erik

At that price still not a camera for the masses.

It will be most interesting to see final specs and if Fuji has any form of ES or EFC since only 1 lens has OIS.

The X1D with only leaf shutter lenses may have an advantage here but maybe the extra mass of the Fuji will help.

Either way it's hard to invest in either of these solutions using such a limited feature sensor which dates back to around 2012. I realize from using it in the Phase product lines it has great DR but Phase detect for AF and some form of ES are IMO required for a camera at this price point.

Paul Caldwell

algrove

You would be surprised at how many serious amateurs use MFD these days. I know a lot of them, but sure they are way less than Canikon users as most would assume.

iiiNelson

I am a wedding photographer who has done some work with small businesses and is trying to get editorial stuff too for smaller publications so, I've been thinking about the GFX a lot. As a camera, I like a lot of what I'm seeing. I loved the 645z when I'd rent it, and Fujifilm has brought that sensor a better, more rounded system. That's super cool. This seems way more targeted at every-day pros than the X1D (no knocking that beauty, just saying).

OTOH...

I have a hard time convincing myself that I need to spend $8k for one camera and 1 lens. Yes, my absolute IQ will go up, probably a lot. But the 63/2.8 is really like dealing with a 50/1.8 in 35mm terms. On my Nikon I have a 58/1.4 which is like a Noctilux for DoF, and a ART 50/1.4 which is a pretty insane amount of sharpness. All of my other primes are 1.4. The sensors in my two bodies are pretty dang great. Low to high ISO, no complaints, with a ton of room for cropping. The AF is essentially state of the art. I'm just not sure what I'd be gaining with the GFX. I really like that it exists! I think it's super cool. But I'm not sure it can do all that much that a D810 can't already do. I'm more coming at it from a pro, ROI, perspective of course. I'm not even arguing that it should be cheaper, I'm just saying it seems harder to justify 33x44 these days. I mean let's be honest...

D810
D750
Sigma ART
50/1.4
35/1.4
24/1.4
85/1.4
=$8000.00

Or:
GFX + 63/2.8
=$8000.00

Now different photographers have different needs but as a wedding shooter...I can see what makes more sense at least on paper to me. Maybe down the line if my business is just swimming in cash and I need a tax write off I could see getting into it. Right now though...even that aging 36mp sensor is more than I often need.
yeah but you can't replicate the smoothness of MF with a 35mm based system the same way that a Micro 4/3 or PS-C can't replicate the smoothness of a 35mm based system no matter how exceptional the lenses/system. Maybe you have a more shallow DOF but the fall off isn't the same. In either case I'd take a 5D or D810 for most wedding shooting over any MF system unless you're doing portraits or candid shots. Simply put, 35mm is a better tool for most jobs.

vonalpen

A little bit off topic but I cross post my contribution to LL:
I played with a GFX at the Fuji booth at the Photo17 in Zürich yesterday, Friday 6th, and I can confirm that there isn't just a setting for a EFC but for an ES altogether:
Fuji have implemented a fully electronic shutter!
With that particular setting, the camera functions absolutely silently, any vibrations are totally absent.
As I wasn't able to use my own SD-Card to store the images, I cannot comment on any possibly negative impact on dynamic range when using the ES, like on the Sony A7RII.
Overall the camera worked very convincingly, the firmware seems well developped.
The menu is pretty much the same as with the X-T2 and the X-Pro2, but I only have very limited experience with those cameras.
They also had the first three lenses there, everything made a very good impression.
The rep told me shipping should start in march, no information about pricing yet.

Best

Jost

vonalpen

I talked with the rep about EFC and ES, he didn't seem to fully understand the impact of such an acheivement.
The menu was set to german, so I suppose the translation might not be totally correct:
There are indeed three settings, which I would describe as:
- mechanical shutter
- mechanical and electronic shutter (=EFC; you could hear the shutter closing at the end of the exposure time)
- electronic shutter only (=ES; totally silent)
The rep clearly stated that is was still a beta firmware, but already far developped.
Whether and how dynamic range would change when using ES remains an open question, as well as how bad rolling shutter will be visible in certain situations.

I own a IQ3 100 myself and am very convinced about the advantages of an EFC / ES for certain types of photography. As a landscape photographer I coldn't be happier about this developpement.

Best

Jost

Uaiomex

There's more to gain in IQ from APSc sensor to FF than from FF to 44X33.

Since for me DMF should begin at double FF (48X36), I'll wait for the GFX camera with this sensor (if ever). Until then, FF all the way.

Eduardo

yeah but you can't replicate the smoothness of MF with a 35mm based system the same way that a Micro 4/3 or PS-C can't replicate the smoothness of a 35mm based system no matter how exceptional the lenses/system. Maybe you have a more shallow DOF but the fall off isn't the same. In either case I'd take a 5D or D810 for most wedding shooting over any MF system unless you're doing portraits or candid shots. Simply put, 35mm is a better tool for most jobs.

Christopher

If true this is magnificent. It would also shows how deeper they understand the sensor compared to everyone else is using it. OR they have more modern version of it ? OR a more basic version, which they adapted to their needs.

If really true and there is no negative impact on image quality, I find it stunning and great news.

JeRuFo

If true this is magnificent. It would also shows how deeper they understand the sensor compared to everyone else is using it. OR they have more modern version of it ? OR a more basic version, which they adapted to their needs.

If really true and there is no negative impact on image quality, I find it stunning and great news.
Nobody is using this sensor, it is their own (X-Trans) design.

JeRuFo

It's no X-Trans it a normal Bayer Sensor. It was stated often before.
I didn't know that. I just assumed because they use the same image processor for most X-Trans cameras too. In any case, it is not the famous Sony sensor everyone else uses, it is their own 'G-sensor', a new design which is probably more future-proof than the aging Sony one.

drevil

Staff member
If true this is magnificent. It would also shows how deeper they understand the sensor compared to everyone else is using it.
i think it only shows how much every one else, especially phase one, wants to push their top product(IQ3 100), while it SHOULD be possible to equip their other CMOS backs with this feature as well.

iiiNelson

I didn't know that. I just assumed because they use the same image processor for most X-Trans cameras too. In any case, it is not the famous Sony sensor everyone else uses, it is their own 'G-sensor', a new design which is probably more future-proof than the aging Sony one.
Nope. It's the same baseline Sony CMOS MF sensor customized to their specs (read: using Fuji micro lens design and Fuji specified Bayer CFA) that everyone else is using.

Last edited: