The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2nd Year retrospectives (tech camera)

Jamgolf

I started this retrospectives thread last year and it lead to some thoughtful conversation...

So, now its been two years since I purchased Cambo WRS. I've slowly divested myself of all other camera equipment. Cambo WRS is now my only camera. I am all in.

The upgrade to IQ3-100 this year from Credo 60 was monumental, for me, in several ways. It was obviously a huge financial parlay. As nervous as I was, that was absolutely the right move for me. I think my photography is progressing in a direction that I want and with a trajectory that I like. Its still a learning process for me, but I feel a lot more confident in what I am doing.

As Jack (the curator of GetDpi) says "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." - I feel I did so and captured a couple of images this year that I feel can stand the test of time. I think if these large prints were hanging in a gallery, they would hold their own. I am proud of them and looking at them makes me want to keep chasing the afore mentioned perfection.

As I started to feel more at home with my technical camera, I came to the realization that its all about camera movements. I think almost every single photograph that I captured this year had either back-fall, back-rise, left/right shift or tilt i.e. some type of movement for compositional or framing purpose or subject focus or depth of field purpose. Add to that consideration for LCC, reference dark frame, choosing the right amount of movement(s), camera height, subject distance and height etc. and this is quite the opposite of point & shoot. But on a few occasions stars aligned and things turned out just right, then I was proud to know that I had something to do with the outcome and it was not achieved by chance.

Graham Welland keeps changing his signature punch line but it used to be 'if you want to take interesting pictures then stand in front of intersting things' - so I drove 25K miles this year and hiked/walked more than ever before (yet managed to gain weight), stayed put while I got attacked by mosquitoes to capture something I thought was worth it, stood in frigid temperatures without gloves until my fingers turned purple, walked back a few miles to a spot right after I arrived to my motel room in hope of better conditions. My kids think I'm kinda nuts (my wife already came to that realization) - but I think they also see that 'no pain no gain'. Yes, it has been quite enjoyable.

On a more somber note, ever since the passing of forum member JLM (John Milich) I've thought about him. A few days ago in Death Valley I was at Artist's Pallet. It was 30 minutes after sunset and it felt like I stood in the spot where he might have once stood. I felt how temporary my existence is. Things that I think are so meaningful and important, my own perceived self importance - its all insignificant. I want to remember that to keep things in perspective.

I am eagerly looking forward to this new year and "get busy livin'..." (in the words of Andy Dufresne)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice pictures there and glad to see you made the right move towards CMOS (compared against your 1st year retrospectives)

Jamgolf

Nice pictures there and glad to see you made the right move towards CMOS (compared against your 1st year retrospectives)
Thank you! - from the very beginning my interest has been in the larger 54x40 sensor. The 44x33 sensor was never a consideration for me, CCD or CMOS, since I was upgrading from Pentax 645D. But the full frame 54x40 CMOS offerings from Phase One and Hasselblad had me at hello. IQ3-100’s improved live view, better dynamic range and electronic shutter have been real important and welcome features.

I’ve thought about upgrading to a Cambo 1600 for its ability to readily change from landscape to portrait orientation but I think I am going to stick to the Cambo WRS 1200 since I prefer the landscape orientation. But if I was buying today, I'd probably get WRS 1600.

My 32HR and 90HRSW have been the right choices for me, from the beginning. It took some time to learn the nuances of 90HRSW but I am glad I did not give up on it. So far I have not experienced any unexpected flare, ghosting etc. with 32HR or 90HRSW and I've used them in some challenging lighting. I did acquire a center ND filter for 32HR which I did not have last year. It helps create a noticeably cleaner output file.

A couple of recent additions are the 350 Superachromat and 23HR.
350SA based on limited use is very promising. ~10mm of rise/fall/shift is quite nice to have. It opens up possibilities on the long end that can be quite interesting.
23HR is very new to me (thanks Ed Cooley) and I am still getting acquainted, but I think we might get along just fine.
50HR is on my wish list to conclude the kit - unless Rodenstock release a new yellow band lens :)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
On a more somber note, ever since the passing of forum member JLM (John Milich) I've thought about him. A few days ago in Death Valley I was at Artist's Pallet. It was 30 minutes after sunset and it felt like I stood in the spot where he might have once stood. I felt how temporary my existence is. Things that I think are so meaningful and important, my own perceived self importance - its all insignificant. I want to remember that to keep things in perspective.
Well, back in Feb 2012 he most likely did! We clambered all over that location and photographed it together.

I first met John and his wife Sarah on the GetDPI Death Valley workshop hosted by Jack & Guy along with Bob and a cast of other characters who are also here on the forums or I still know and have shot with since. :thumbs: (Matt Grayson, Bryan Stephens, Stuart Bazerman, Amr El-Shafei, Dave Gallagher & Doug Petersen).

I believe that Matt probably still has nightmares about Cambo WRS Anniversary Editions ...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Regarding the Joy of Tech, I applaud your dedication to pure excellence.

The Rodenstock lens collection that you are using are arguably three of the best lenses available, period. I don't have experience with the 350 SA but I hear that it's one heck of an optic and unusual as a lens / focal length to shoot on a technical camera. (Heck, I've been building up a potentially similar solution for my Cambo Actus DB+ albeit taking a different direction with long technical / LF lenses and longer rail / bellows)

Likewise the IQ3100 digital back combined with the simplicity and movements of the Cambo, you've left only yourself, your artistic creativity, and your craftsmanship as the technical limits to what you can achieve. Beyond that, it's getting out there, being prepared in the right place at the right time and blessed with the light.

(Anyone telling you Alpa, Arca, Sinar or any other technical camera is 'better' than the Cambo is deluding themselves - they're all just high precision solutions for keeping a light-tight path between the optics and the sensor plane along with various approaches for applying movements. With the live view capabilities and electronic shutter of the IQ3100, this is even more true today IMHO, although I still miss my Alpa!)

Jamgolf

The Rodenstock lens collection that you are using are arguably three of the best lenses available, period.

Likewise the IQ3100 digital back combined with the simplicity and movements of the Cambo, you've left only yourself, your artistic creativity, and your craftsmanship as the technical limits to what you can achieve.
Thanks Graham. You are right, most definitely with this type of equipment the only element that remains is oneself. One's effort, ability, willingness and may be some luck. That adds stress & pressure that motivates to get up, get uncomfortable, to walk or hike when the body says otherwise or to keep driving when a bed & blanket are calling one’s name. No pain no gain.

Pemihan

Thank you for your post Jawad! I'm very interested in seeing how you use the 350SA on the Cambo. Did you send it to Cambo to have it retrofitted or?

Peter

350SA based on limited use is very promising. ~10mm of rise/fall/shift is quite nice to have. It opens up possibilities on the long end that can be quite interesting.

Last edited:

danord

As a european landscape-photographer having fallen in low with the south-west in general, and the grand-canyon especially (who can't) I must say that your GC portfolio-images is probably the best I have ever seen from there. Excellent work and interesting read.

danord

danlindberg

I can relate. The photographic process is just as important as is final output quality. I'd love to be able to upgrade my back as well, but the entrance fee is too steep. Having said that, the Credo 60 still produces as nice files as it did the first day, so this is nothing I loose sleep over.
Good to see you are producing such excellent images with your gear! Keep it up :thumbup:

Jamgolf

I'm very interested in seeing how you use the 350SA on the Cambo. Did you send it to Cambo to have it retrofitted or?
Peter
Hi Peter

For 350SA I am using this adapter that I got on ebay from a reputable South Korean seller:

Its a reasonably well made adapter and opens up some possibilities to use Hasselblad V lenses.
You might also find this thread helpful for more info.

Cheers!

Jamgolf

I can relate. The photographic process is just as important as is final output quality. I'd love to be able to upgrade my back as well, but the entrance fee is too steep. Having said that, the Credo 60 still produces as nice files as it did the first day, so this is nothing I loose sleep over.
Good to see you are producing such excellent images with your gear! Keep it up :thumbup:
Thanks Dan. Yes, most definitely the journey is almost as important as the destination.

Credo 60 is a wonderful back, all your images are beautiful examples of that. I love Credo color profiles. In fact at first I missed Credo colors but thankfully Capture One has added some Credo product profiles for IQ3.

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
As Jack (the curator of GetDpi) says "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." -
I've enjoyed my journey into the tech world as well, but certainly find the XF a pleasure to use when I don't have to hike much of a distance. My only challenge is when I fly so I can only have one system with me. Hard to pick because each has some distinct advantages.

The quote is a great one, I've used it for years as well when teaching. It's been around for a long time (most of my life), and most attribute it to Vince Lombardi. Who knows if he came up with it, he maybe was just the first well know person to use it.

Jamgolf

As a european landscape-photographer having fallen in low with the south-west in general, and the grand-canyon especially (who can't) I must say that your GC portfolio-images is probably the best I have ever seen from there. Excellent work and interesting read.

danord
Thank you so much your very kind words and welcome to the forum.
I had a chance to visit your website and you have some exquisite images. Just wonderful.
I am a fan. Welcome !

Pemihan

Thanks Jawad, of course... I have seem that adapter earlier but completely forgotten about it.. Thanks for the images...

Peter

Hi Peter

For 350SA I am using this adapter that I got on ebay from a reputable South Korean seller:

Its a reasonably well made adapter and opens up some possibilities to use Hasselblad V lenses.
You might also find this thread helpful for more info.

Cheers!