The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645DF + DM22 thoughts

Peter_S

Hi!

I have a chance to buy a Mamiya 645DF with a DM22 back, 80mm AF and 55mm AF lenses. The price is very low, and the camera was recently serviced by Phase One.
I used to have a AFD + Kodak Pro Back and really liked it, but it had issues focusing - I only had MF-lenses. I ended up selling it, since I was travelling a lot and traded it for an M8.2.
I still have the 110mm f/2.8 N here, a lens I really like but have no body for.

The intended use is shallow DOF work and landscape, incl. some longer exposures (10 sec or longer). I use a Bessa IIIW, and the 645D could complement it nicely on the digitial side.

Now. What are your thoughts on the DM22? I know about the low base ISO and limitations when you reach its max ISO (for higher ISO I use a Leica T).
How does it do on longer exposures? Hot pixels?

How is the 645DF in respect to the older Mamiyas - viewfinder, manual focus, etc?

I eyed at the Pentax 645D too, but the Mamiya DF setup sells easily 1000 Euro below a used 645D with one lens.

danlindberg

In the right conditions, the 22mp back is truly wonderful in colours, tonality and texture. But for long exposures it is no good I'm afraid. You will see noise quickly and going over 5-7 seconds is not recomendable (plus several minutes of cooldown time between exposures). This can be tricky with a native iso of 25!
If you have enough light though, it is still capable of stunning portraits or landscapes and I have several photographs I have printed large with excellent results in spite of only 22mp.

Peter_S

Thank you, Dan, that is valueable input. I will think about it. Currently it is way to dark up here in the North of Norway to even think about ISO25.

Best,
Peter

danlindberg

It is limiting but you should not dismiss it. I do have many examples that show it can work in not so ideal conditions too. The interior of this church was shot with a single exposure, 14mm shift (and no LCC applied), 8 seconds @ iso 50. I would call this the upper limit of punishment, but still the 'feel' is very nice. And at the todays pricepoint it must be considered a steal....