The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just received a Hasselblad CFV-50c. But don't know how to check shutter count

KEVIN-XU

Hello guys, I just received a Hasselblad digital back CFV-50c but don't know how to check its' shutter actuation. But I do see many sellers could tell the shutter numbers in their description. Would appreciate that someone could share his knowledge here.

Cheers

Last edited:

Nick-T

Shutter count is really only relevant for *shutters* i.e. mechanical wear and tear, so if you have bought a back the exposure count is not really relevant.

KEVIN-XU

Shutter count is really only relevant for *shutters* i.e. mechanical wear and tear, so if you have bought a back the exposure count is not really relevant.
Thank you for the reply. I use the wrong description in the title and question. Actually what I want to know is how many pictures the CMOS sensor has taken. Is that called shutter actuations of the digital back?

KEVIN-XU

According to the manual, it's the second right most display on a preview image info line at the bottom.
thank you! But Still I cannot find it. : (

I can only see information of ISO number, file name and the number of pictures can be stored in memory card at the bottom.

JohnBrew

Kevin, at the bottom of the display look for the second number from the right. That is the number of actuations of the back. It is in blue numbers.
Enjoy your new back.

Added: Page 30 of the manual

Oops! Sorry, Richard, didn't see your earlier post!

Last edited:

pflower

Kevin, at the bottom of the display look for the second number from the right. That is the number of actuations of the back. It is in blue numbers.
Enjoy your new back.

Added: Page 30 of the manual

Oops! Sorry, Richard, didn't see your earlier post!
Actually I am not at all sure that is correct. The first set of blue numbers is referred to as "capture count" which seems to be the number of images that are available to be stored on the card. The second set is the file name. Now I have never reset my file counter/numbers so this does display the number of actuations on my back, but presumably if someone changed and reset their file counter/numbers you would just see the number since that reset which wouldn't be an accurate account of how many actuations there had been.

I suspect that this is something that is just not available on this back. The other thing that irks me about it is that, unless someone can enlighten me, there is no way of knowing how charged or depleted the battery is. Other than that the CFV-50c is a thing of wonder and I wouldn't be without it.

Photon42

The exif data (exiftool shows it for example) has a field called "Unique Image ID", which seems to code the Digital Back Serial ID and something else, which is incremented with each photo taken. I suspect this is the total number of frames taken with the back. btw - the numbers are in hex.

Ivo

KEVIN-XU

Thank you, everyone who trying to help me here! Really appreciate it.

IMG_1132.JPG

This is the preview page and the file number is B0031519. Number 982 is the picture number I can take in this CF card. I don't belive that this digital back take 31519 pictures before. Because cosmetically this is almost like brand new. And I have search online digital camera shutter count website to check it. Didn't find one useful. And I've also read Hasselblad's manual I didn't find specific information to teach you how to check that. But I am wondering how those seller could give specific number of shutter actuations? There should be a way, or they just say whatever they want.

stephengilbert

"But I am wondering how those seller could give specific number of shutter actuations?"

Right, it's common to see backs offered for sale with actuation numbers. Is there a dealer you could ask?

KEVIN-XU

"But I am wondering how those seller could give specific number of shutter actuations?"

Right, it's common to see backs offered for sale with actuation numbers. Is there a dealer you could ask?
I don't know any dealer. I will try to reach out to Hasselblad customer service to find out the answer.

pflower

Thank you, everyone who trying to help me here! Really appreciate it.

View attachment 123738

This is the preview page and the file number is B0031519. Number 982 is the picture number I can take in this CF card. I don't belive that this digital back take 31519 pictures before. Because cosmetically this is almost like brand new. And I have search online digital camera shutter count website to check it. Didn't find one useful. And I've also read Hasselblad's manual I didn't find specific information to teach you how to check that. But I am wondering how those seller could give specific number of shutter actuations? There should be a way, or they just say whatever they want.
I have had another look at my CFV-50c and as far as I can tell there is no menu function that shows you the actuations - unlike the Hx series. The only menu option is to reset the file counter which then presumably goes back to zero (so the next file number would be B0000001). I haven't tried this on mine but I assume that is the case. But having noted the current number you could try that to confirm or see if there are other options. So it looks to me as if your back has indeed made 31k exposures. But since there are no mechanical moving parts in it and it is in good shape then I wouldn't worry about it. You can damage the sensor in a number of ways - obviously by physical damage but also by staring at the sun. If the files from your back look good then you're probably good to go.

Jager

There is no user-accessible way to determine total shot count on the CFV-50c. There probably is a way for Hasselblad technicians to determine that number (Ivo is likely on the right track), but whatever procedure that might be has never been publicized.

The shot count displayed on the screen is simply the number since the back was reset (a very simple, user-accessible task).

Grayhand

When I bought myCFV-50c from Goecke, the dealer that was situated in Malmö, Sweden,
had to get some help by Goecke in Copenhagen to be able to tell me how many clicks it was on the demo unit I bought.

So I dont think it is something you could easily squeeze out of the back your self

Ray

Jan

Not sure about Hasselblad, Phase One backs do show it.

elrafo

Hello ! Happy I found this post.
My second number from right looks like B0000744. does this mean this back has less than 1 K actuations ?

Photon42

Hello ! Happy I found this post.
My second number from right looks like B0000744. does this mean this back has less than 1 K actuations ?
Depends. If it is the image count, the leading B may indicate it is a hex number: 0x744 -> 1860. Still very low and essentially not relevant in terms of wearing.

JohnBrew

Unfortunately Hasselblad themselves say there is no accurate way to determine actuations. I judged mine by what the dealer said about previous usage and kept track of what I took. Quite silly, really. One of several reasons (the other being battery remaining indicator) Hasselblad left the user in the dark.

elrafo

Indeed. Hasselblad was really good making the best cameras 40 years ago. seems like the market is now for Phase one

Unfortunately Hasselblad themselves say there is no accurate way to determine actuations. I judged mine by what the dealer said about previous usage and kept track of what I took. Quite silly, really. One of several reasons (the other being battery remaining indicator) Hasselblad left the user in the dark.