The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about Newly Announced Cambo WRS Canon Mount

Transposure

Hey guys,
I stumbled across this quiet announcement from Cambo. It seems quite significant to me, and I wanted to check with the seasoned technical camera users as to whether I should be excited about this....

https://blog.cambo.com/page/2/

The big question of the day for me.....

With this new adapter, will I be able to effectively use my Canon TSE17mm and TSE24mmII on the WRS1200 with a Credo 60 back?

Attachments

Transposure

You'll still need a shutter if you want to use it with your Credo.
Common wisdom would agree. But I am wondering how/what they are planning here....

If you look closely at the second photo, of the mount on the WRS without a lens, you will see aperture blade insignias. There is an adjustment wheel there too. You'll also clearly see the electrical contacts.

So, as we know the modern DSLR lenses adjust their aperture via an electronic signal to the lens, one would think they are doing the same. So, does that mean there is a controller box that attaches to this mount, used to set the aperture?

But with regard to a shutter, I think (sadly) I just figured out my answer, since the digital back mounting is set via the rear adapter plate, and the lens registration is set via this new mount, the only way for them to fit a shutter, is to NOT fit one. Hence, this may only work with the IQ3-100 with its electronic shutter.

Say it isn't so!

Transposure

Certainly looks like that's exactly what it is for.

Seem to be more details here (including a photo with the 24 TS-E mounted -

https://blog.cambo.com/2016/09/22/canon-auto-lens-mount-see-it-at-photokina/

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit
Re those two specific lenses, they both cover FF MFDB (the 17 only just).

Gerald,
My understanding is the adapter you reference with that link is specific to the Cambo Actus camera. The mount that I am referring to is specific to the Cambo WRS camera.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The canon adapters really appeal to those who can use electronic shutters such as with the IQ3100.

They also have a solution for the Aptus DB that essentially was justification for selling my Alpa FPS with Canon adapter.

Canon 17mm TSE on a 50/100 MP back with movements is AWESOME. (IMHO) 24mm TSE - meh. Not the same magic.

Transposure

The canon adapters really appeal to those who can use electronic shutters such as with the IQ3100.

They also have a solution for the Aptus DB that essentially was justification for selling my Alpa FPS with Canon adapter.

Canon 17mm TSE on a 50/100 MP back with movements is AWESOME. (IMHO) 24mm TSE - meh. Not the same magic.
Graham,
I understand the the electronic shutter solution. But can you explain what you are referring to in your second sentence?
Thanks!

kdphotography

We're barely into the second week of 2017---and it's getting expensive already.

It would be nice to have this new Canon WRS adapter in time for CI in Bluff....

ken

kdphotography

The Cambo WRE-CA adapter allows for the use of Canon lenses on the Cambo, using the electronic shutter of the Phase One IQ3 100MP.

I've had some brief emails with Cambo and the request has been made for the Cambo WRE-CA and Canon 17mm TSE to make an appearance at Pigs / CI in Bluff this April 2017.

And here I thought I was done shooting with Canon....

:D

Steve C

Since most of the WRS lenses are on the short to normal end, it would be interesting to see if some of the Canon telephotos, especially the zooms, have a large enough image circle to cover the IQ3 100. If anyone has information here, please share.

CAMBOUSA

Since most of the WRS lenses are on the short to normal end, it would be interesting to see if some of the Canon telephotos, especially the zooms, have a large enough image circle to cover the IQ3 100. If anyone has information here, please share.
I guess now is as good of a time as any to introduce myself.

My name is Blake, and I am the Channel Manager for Cambo USA. I've done some lurking around here at GetDPI, and finally have created an account so I can help with any questions that may come up.

We received our test unit for the WRE-CA adaptor last week, and I have done some very brief testing with it so far. Unfortunately at this time all of the telephoto zooms I have tested don't have the coverage needed to fill the frame. There is some significant vignetting. I'm going to keep experimenting and will be creating a list of the lenses that will provide the best compatibility with the adapter.

And yes, as Ken mentioned, there is a pretty solid chance an appearance will be made at the Bluff workshop.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

As Blake indicated - and from previous experience I've had playing around with the Canon lenses on the Alpa FPS - almost all of the longer lenses are going to vignette. Some of the shorter zooms may not (11mm - 24mm, for instance). But I'm a bit intrigued for using some long primes with the IQ3 100 and this Cambo WRS-CA Adapter, for some applications, some vignetting may not be a big deal.

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

It's been a while since I tested them, but going from memory, all the big whites - from the 300/2.8 up to and including the 1200/5.6 vignette a lot on FF MFDB.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

CAMBOUSA

I just got a new test image from Richard at Cambo and wanted to share it with everyone.

I’ve just done some tests with the Canon 17-TS. This lens is the most interesting one, as this kind of focal length isn’t elsewhere available.

The attached image has been down scaled. By the way, it’s the interior of a windmill, that’s what we’ve got here.
Windmill02_s.jpg

Steve C

Now that you have the blueprint for an electronic lens interface to the Cambo WRS, how about one for Phase One lenses!?

CAMBOUSA

Now that you have the blueprint for an electronic lens interface to the Cambo WRS, how about one for Phase One lenses!?
No promises, but I will pass that along next week when I am in The Netherlands.

But lets put it this way, I'm not the only person reading this thread. Your voice will be heard!

Alan

No promises, but I will pass that along next week when I am in The Netherlands.

But lets put it this way, I'm not the only person reading this thread. Your voice will be heard!
Once again, I'd love a Contax 645 mount for WRS/Actus!

marc aurel

Great to have someone from Cambo on this forum. I really appreciate the innovative spirit of Cambo and their fast reaction to new products from other companies.
I excuse if this is a bit off topic for this thread. But since it's a chance to let people at Cambo know what products could be of interest:

I would like to use your Canon adapter on the Fuji GFX and use it as a digital back for my architectural photography. So a configuration of the Cambo Actus for the GFX would be great.
But the Canon TS-Es would only cover the very wide angles. So for other focal lengths I would need different lenses with large image circles. Like Alan I would love a Contax 645 mount. The lenses are great and not expensive. They offer a lot of movements on the 44x33mm-sensor.

(plus a small dream of mine: Fuji already offers an adapter for Hasselblad H lenses. If there was an actus configuration where the electronics of this adapter would be used and put through the bellows - you could even control the aperture of these lenses and record exif data. That would be amazing).