The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX suddenly taken off B&H website

Paul2660

The specs show up to 426 AF points, it will be interesting to see how well the AF does perform both in speed and accuracy.

IMO Fuji's biggest issue is the Focus by wire tech they use in all their X cameras. It's makes Manual focus a bit difficult at least for me even with focus peaking, especially with wides like the 16mm where as the 56mm 1.2 is a dream to manually focus. Fuji also has an issue that many of their lenses don't have a AF/Mf clutch, so even you manually focus to a spot, if you turn off the camera then you will loose your focus point with a lens without the AF/MF clutch.

As for PDAF, I feel it's a mixed bag anyway, at least from using the X cameras, X-T2/Pro-2. I still get plenty of misses especially in low light situations.

Paul Caldwell

The specs show up to 426 AF points, it will be interesting to see how well the AF does perform both in speed and accuracy.

IMO Fuji's biggest issue is the Focus by wire tech they use in all their X cameras. It's makes Manual focus a bit difficult at least for me even with focus peaking, especially with wides like the 16mm where as the 56mm 1.2 is a dream to manually focus. Fuji also has an issue that many of their lenses don't have a AF/Mf clutch, so even you manually focus to a spot, if you turn off the camera then you will loose your focus point with a lens without the AF/MF clutch.

As for PDAF, I feel it's a mixed bag anyway, at least from using the X cameras, X-T2/Pro-2. I still get plenty of misses especially in low light situations.

Paul Caldwell
As long as it's "as good" as something like the Pentax 645z, which is really just OK, I think it will be a hit. Hopefully after developing their mirrorless system they've really refined their AF technologies. I read one early review which said it was about as good as the XT-1, that would be fine with me. I'd have of course different expectations of the camera vs my Nikons. It would be unlikely that many users would bother using it in VERY low light, given that it's a MFD cam and there are simply better choices for those scenarios. Night landscapes can easily be manually focused, for example. I frankly it's revolutionary in medium format that one, even just in the studio, could place an AF point on the model's eye and shoot without recomposing.

JeRuFo

If it has an EVF as good as they say it is, and with some nice stuff like focus peaking well integrated, I could do without AF altogether. MFD is not suited for faster shooting anyway yet. For a landscape I would use live view in some form and for portraits focus peaking is fine too. For social situations I would only use a camera like this if I can anticipate the action and the lighting. They'll probably get it up to modern DSLR speed, but in the meantime I'm fine with good ol' manual focus.

jduncan

Article on Petapixel from someone who had a pre-production camera for a week -

https://petapixel.com/2017/01/20/fujifilm-medium-format-gfx-50s-first-impressions/

I expect we'll be seeing a few more of these over the coming days.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing the article. Is very weel written. The system looks fantastic, it remembers me of the H system, but mirrorless.
The lenses look fantastic too. The only issue with the article is modern times: In a world full of blogs, Access is king. They don't nail the issue with flash. The sync speed is very low, forcing you to go to HSS above 1/125. This is old film camera territoty. Even so, for many people, it's not important and nowadays we have powerful, battery power, portable flash units that ofthen can overpower the sun in HSS mode.
It's a little disservice to the reader not giving it more time, but "access" and it is on the specs.

Best regards,

tcdeveau

Wish I had not looked at this. The GFX really blows the the X1D out of the water when it comes to display technology, both the EVF and screen are MUCH better.
Me too haha. The GFX also has some features such as face/eye AF detection, ability to change AF point sizes, film simulations, etc that the X1D lacks...and while these features aren't necessary (and some could be added to the X1D in future firmware updates), they are definitely welcome on a MF camera. Face/eye AF detection + 110mm f2 could make a pretty killer portrait combo. There's also other random features like the GFX has a wired shutter release and an H lens adaptor with a tripod collar (wish I hadn't sold my H lenses now). The fact that one could pick up a GFX with two lenses for the cost of the X1D and a lens, and that the GFX also has lens roadmap in place, makes it hard to favor the X1D over the GFX. I love the form factor of the X1D (and menu system, button layout, etc), but the GFX checks a lot of boxes at launch that the X1D doesn't.

DougDolde

The only advantage the X1D has is smaller size. Otherwise a slam dunk for the GFX.

Also I think Fuji is much more together than Chinablad.

Me too haha. The GFX also has some features such as face/eye AF detection, ability to change AF point sizes, film simulations, etc that the X1D lacks...and while these features aren't necessary (and some could be added to the X1D in future firmware updates), they are definitely welcome on a MF camera. Face/eye AF detection + 110mm f2 could make a pretty killer portrait combo. There's also other random features like the GFX has a wired shutter release and an H lens adaptor with a tripod collar (wish I hadn't sold my H lenses now). The fact that one could pick up a GFX with two lenses for the cost of the X1D and a lens, and that the GFX also has lens roadmap in place, makes it hard to favor the X1D over the GFX. I love the form factor of the X1D (and menu system, button layout, etc), but the GFX checks a lot of boxes at launch that the X1D doesn't.
I hate to say it, but I am having second thoughts. The 1/125 flash sync speed is a big problem for me though. I did really enjoy using the X1D, but but but. Better sleep on this :)

iiiNelson

I hate to say it, but I am having second thoughts. The 1/125 flash sync speed is a big problem for me though. I did really enjoy using the X1D, but but but. Better sleep on this :)
True but you have access to Hasselblad H lenses at launch and it's only a matter of time before several flash systems support Fuji with the buzz generated and pre-sales of this camera.

No pressure though... I'm still debating it. It does seem just a bit like Fuji "studied for the test and did their homework" while Hasselblad is scrambling and cramming to "pass the test."

iiiNelson

Wish I had not looked at this. The GFX really blows the the X1D out of the water when it comes to display technology, both the EVF and screen are MUCH better.

That was my reaction. This looks like a "dream" MF camera that's designed to thrive where some others on the market may not as easily. I spoke with one of my contacts that revealed that he got to test it for about a few weeks and said "it's almost perfect" in response to the GFX 50S. He is a person that's pretty hard to impress about anything so that's saying a lot about the Fuji. He currently shoots other high end MF and Video cameras (Phase One and Red) amongst other brands of 35mm system but he's leaning towards getting one for personal use where he currently uses 35mm systems.

iiiNelson

The only advantage the X1D has is smaller size. Otherwise a slam dunk for the GFX.

Also I think Fuji is much more together than Chinablad.
For now the flash system and ability is more sorted out in Hasselblad's favor as well. Others may prefer a more simplistic camera.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm a died-in-the-wool Phase fan but I'm truly delighted at the advent of the new 'Blad and the Fuji. This is good for MF, for us and even good for Phase - competition brings out the best in all of us.

Now, as a well established gear slut, the question is whether I should get one of these new systems - just as back-up, of course...