The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX suddenly taken off B&H website

algrove

I'm a died-in-the-wool Phase fan but I'm truly delighted at the advent of the new 'Blad and the Fuji. This is good for MF, for us and even good for Phase - competition brings out the best in all of us.

Now, as a well established gear slut, the question is whether I should get one of these new systems - just as back-up, of course...
I will for my XF as after monsoon shooting at Grand Canyon I rapidly realized how I need a weather sealed something as a backup. Trouble is either one becomes a backup system not a backup camera. Such Is life.

algrove

In the Fuji Guys video on the camera Billy said that shutter lag is 90ms with normal focal plane shutter and 70ms if you are using EFC.
I never pay attention to such things as for me its either fast or bothersome. Are these numbers good or bad for a MF system as we know it today?

ejpeiker

I never pay attention to such things as for me its either fast or bothersome. Are these numbers good or bad for a MF system as we know it today?
I don't either on a medium format camera but he asked and I remembered that from the Fuji Guys video ;)

hcubell

I will for my XF as after monsoon shooting at Grand Canyon I rapidly realized how I need a weather sealed something as a backup. Trouble is either one becomes a backup system not a backup camera. Such Is life.

That's exactly what happened to me. I was hiking around with 35 lbs. of Hasselblad/Phase gear through Iceland and, as bad as it was dealing with the weight at this point in my life (i.e., really bad), the H2 failed and the IQ180 went wonky in the high winds and rain on Day 3 despite my efforts to protect the camera and the back from the elements. I was with other photographers shooting Canon, Nikon and Fuji who had no problems over a 10 day period.
While you may buy an X1D or a GFX as a back up, my guess is that it will be more and more difficult over time to pick up the big Phase kit and leave the "backup" behind, particularly when we see what the Sony 50MP sensor can do.

algrove

That's exactly what happened to me. I was hiking around with 35 lbs. of Hasselblad/Phase gear through Iceland and, as bad as it was dealing with the weight at this point in my life (i.e., really bad), the H2 failed and the IQ180 went wonky in the high winds and rain on Day 3 despite my efforts to protect the camera and the back from the elements. I was with other photographers shooting Canon, Nikon and Fuji who had no problems over a 10 day period.
While you may buy an X1D or a GFX as a back up, my guess is that it will be more and more difficult over time to pick up the big Phase kit and leave the "backup" behind, particularly when we see what the Sony 50MP sensor can do.
I was also at the Grand Canyon with the 645Z a few years back and most other shooters either had to stop or shield their gear Nikon, Canon, Leica, Sony, and Phase. The rain came down harder and sideways, but I just kept on shooting. The 645Z did not miss a beat with great images to take back home. Then came the 100MP back and you know the rest of the story.

Yes, I will rely on the WR system only, eventually, but I still see nothing yet approaching those 100MP files. Let's see what the X1D and GFX files give us.

John Black

I think the black-out time on the Canon 1Dx (just as a reference point) was ~45ms, so Fuji's numbers sound good. I would expect the Fuji to feel akin to a Sony A7rII or Leica SL in this regard (with their respective native lenses).

algrove

I think the black-out time on the Canon 1Dx (just as a reference point) was ~45ms, so Fuji's numbers sound good. I would expect the Fuji to feel akin to a Sony A7rII or Leica SL in this regard (with their respective native lenses).
I wonder what impact the SD card speed has to do with this? Perhaps nothing as long as the buffer is not full.

Oren Grad

Not the same thing. Shutter lag is how long it takes from the trigger point until the shutter opens, blackout time is how long before you can see the image in the finder again, for those cameras that don't have direct optical viewing.

Canon specifies the 1Dx lag as 36-55 ms, blackout time as 60 ms. IIRC, the EOS-1 film cameras had a lag of 55ms, blackout not known but necessarily a bit longer. Less expensive multimode AE/AF film SLRs typically had lags as long as 100ms, somtimes variable depending on the exposure mode in cameras that used mechanical linkages for aperture control. A film M-Leica has a lag of less than 20 ms, and of course no blackout. I think the M8 was fairly sluggish, with a lag closer to 100 ms. I don't know about recent digital M's. Compared to any of those numbers, medium format SLRs generally have very long lags and blackouts simply because of the time needed to move that much larger mirror out of the way. Mirrorless cameras have tended to have long blackouts (not necessarily lags) because of the processing needed to get the image back on screen or finder. Given all that, it will be interesting to see where the X1D and GFX 50S finally settle out with respect to both lag and blackout.

Last edited:

algrove

Oren

Thanks. My use with the XT2, now that I have refined my use for minimized black out, I can shoot multiple images with literally no black out. If that GFX can come close to that it would be an amazing MF camera.

hcubell

In the Fuji Guys video on the camera Billy said that shutter lag is 90ms with normal focal plane shutter and 70ms if you are using EFC.
I am not sure if that's good or bad. How would they even know without using some sophisticated equipment?

iiiNelson

I didn't realize they were actually employees. I though they were fanboys!
I think there's a little bit of column A and B.

I believe they began as a Fuji Fansite but they've become the official Fuji YouTube page if you click the YouTube link on the FujiFilm USA website.

Really good and informative video by the Fuji Guys. The official Fuji videos have all been slick but don't actually say much other than showing a X-photographer groping the GFX. I'm impressed by the GFX, it has a lot of nice features and as a system it seems well thought out. It's a shame Fuji did not announce before Hasselblad as I think Hasselblad would have been forced to up their game a little. Fuji is also giving a very clear direction that the GFX will be a professional system that can do anything.

I am not sure where Hasselblad is going apart from small and lightweight, which seems rather limiting in the long run.

iiiNelson

Really good and informative video by the Fuji Guys. The official Fuji videos have all been slick but don't actually say much other than showing a X-photographer groping the GFX. I'm impressed by the GFX, it has a lot of nice features and as a system it seems well thought out. It's a shame Fuji did not announce before Hasselblad as I think Hasselblad would have been forced to up their game a little. Fuji is also giving a very clear direction that the GFX will be a professional system that can do anything.

I am not sure where Hasselblad is going apart from small and lightweight, which seems rather limiting in the long run.
I think Hasselblad is going in the capable yet more compact compliment to the H series direction. It's the Hasselblad that you take along with you on the move.

Its likely (from what I see and read as I haven't touched either yet) that the GFX may be better for what I do IF they push lighting companies to develop for the GFX/X system cameras. If so I can see Fuji getting a big push in popularity and sales over the next 5+ years to challenge smaller format cameras and eventually lead or at least become a leader in MF.