The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX suddenly taken off B&H website

humm... synchro flash... auto focus stacking... mounting it on a technical camera with wide angle lenses...
Hummm H lenses use the leaf shutter, and there are like 7 people in all of North America who want to do the other stuff. Seriously if you need those features enjoy spending 30 grand on Phase One equipment. Personally I would be happy adjusting my workflow slightly in order to save $20,000 or more.

hcubell

Really good and informative video by the Fuji Guys. The official Fuji videos have all been slick but don't actually say much other than showing a X-photographer groping the GFX. I'm impressed by the GFX, it has a lot of nice features and as a system it seems well thought out. It's a shame Fuji did not announce before Hasselblad as I think Hasselblad would have been forced to up their game a little. Fuji is also giving a very clear direction that the GFX will be a professional system that can do anything.

I am not sure where Hasselblad is going apart from small and lightweight, which seems rather limiting in the long run.
I am also impressed by some of the features of the GFX. I think the X1D and the GFX arguably appeal to distinct sets of buyers. I am not interested in a medium format camera that can do anything in and outside of a studio. A jack of all trades, if you will. I want a medium format camera system that can do exactly what "I" need and that has a great user interface and is easy to carry around with me. This is only limiting if there are other things I would want to do with an X1D that I can't do.

jduncan

Hummm H lenses use the leaf shutter, and there are like 7 people in all of North America who want to do the other stuff. Seriously if you need those features enjoy spending 30 grand on Phase One equipment. Personally I would be happy adjusting my workflow slightly in order to save $20,000 or more.
Hi,
For me the main issue is the flash limitations.
Noadays is less of a hindrance because we have powerfull battery equiped strobes that, under some circunstances, can produce decent power
when using HSS. Even, for me flash use is one of the main reasons to go for a camera like this one.
I am of the theory that hasselblad should have implemented true focus. For some aplications, focus recompose is faster than moving arround a large number of focus points (in other cases mutiple focus poinst to the edge is far better).

Direfent tools for diferet pals.

Best regards,

bab

Just the opposite been working your way forever but now with cheap apps, its easy to hire workers to make focus stacking, digital measurement readout, integrated focus stacking, multiple exposure, auto bracketing and many other automated features come to life without breaking the bank.
The issue I feel is the break down from the PR team and the executives.

Hi,
For me the main issue is the flash limitations.
Noadays is less of a hindrance because we have powerfull battery equiped strobes that, under some circunstances, can produce decent power
when using HSS. Even, for me flash use is one of the main reasons to go for a camera like this one.
I am of the theory that hasselblad should have implemented true focus. For some aplications, focus recompose is faster than moving arround a large number of focus points (in other cases mutiple focus poinst to the edge is far better).

Direfent tools for diferet pals.

Best regards,
I'm not sure what you see as the limitation... You can use Hasselblad H lenses for flash sync up to 1/800th of a second, or the internal shutter with it's slow sync speed, or HSS. You basically have 2 ways to do high speed sync and one way to sync that is 1 stop slower than your average Canikon. True the H lenses will be manual focus only but with focus peaking and magnification that won't be that difficult to work around.

algrove

I'm not sure what you see as the limitation... You can use Hasselblad H lenses for flash sync up to 1/800th of a second, or the internal shutter with it's slow sync speed, or HSS. You basically have 2 ways to do high speed sync and one way to sync that is 1 stop slower than your average Canikon. True the H lenses will be manual focus only but with focus peaking and magnification that won't be that difficult to work around.
Interesting times ahead. I see Fringer (I have no idea who they are) will eventually offer a Contax 645 adapter which will have full AF available. Source of this info is from Fujirumors.

I guess a lot of shooters must often use flash outside as inside my Einstein flash heads provide plenty of stopping power not the shutter. I use Pocket Wizard Plus III for the hot shoe.

Interesting times ahead. I see Fringer (I have no idea who they are) will eventually offer a Contax 645 adapter which will have full AF available. Source of this info is from Fujirumors.

I guess a lot of shooters must often use flash outside as inside my Einstein flash heads provide plenty of stopping power not the shutter. I use Pocket Wizard Plus III for the hot shoe.
Yeah. Personally I think the flash sync issue for cameras like the Pentax 645z is vastly over-stated. People act like you just can't use strobes which is crazy. In the studio the 1/125th sync just doesn't matter...unless you somehow have extremely bright ambient lights. Your strobe will freeze action better than the 2 stops a leaf shutter would give you will. Then outdoors, yeah, if you wanna beat the ambient that's an issue. But that's really the one area in which it's an issue. The Pentax solution is HSS which is not ideal but it's there at least. And I would argue their target market simple isn't people who need to do this. Fujifilm has offered a solution to all problems. Best of all worlds IMO! The only think the leaf lenses are lacking is AF, but if you need the sync speed you're probably shooting somewhat stopped down on lenses that for the most part aren't that fast. Should be very easy to work with.

Paul2660

Fuji I believe will have HSS for the GFX, at least they have it for the X-T2 X-Pro2 now with the new EF-X500 which works very well up to 1/1250 on the X-T2 from my testing.

The EF-X500 is the main flash supported by the GFX last time I checked.

Paul Caldwell

Lucille

I am excited about this Fuji, give me some fast glass, and good times are ahead. This will make a wonderful point and shoot for me.

Lucille

The body with the F2 110mm lens will weigh 2kgs. Not sure that qualifies as a point and shoot :)

Glad to hear it will be light, easy to carry, and should make a wonderful companion point and shoot to my A7R II and all my G Master lenses.

I'm gonna rock it daddy-o!

I just had the chance to test out the GFX for a few minutes at B&H where they had it on display today. First impressions are... it's BIG. Not as much the body, which is bigger than the X1d, but the lenses are not compact. I picked up what I assumed to be the zoom lens and was quickly told that it was the 63mm lens. The zoom is about the size of the Hassy 35-90, the Macro is about the size of the Hassy Macro(but it does have IS built in). The very good news is that they are SUBSTANTIALLY lighter. But I was really surprised at how big the lenses were, the pictures that I've seen of them online made them look smaller. The good news is that the camera seemed to function nicely. This was certainly not an in depth test, I was just playing around in the store with it. But the AF seemed to lock on pretty quickly (was slower on the macro and noisier) and the EVF in continuous mode didn't black out like the X1D did. I did not see much difference at all between the two EVF's of the Fuji and Hassy. My X1D is arriving later toady, but the Fuji one didn't seem to be quite as sharp (5% less) as what I remembered the Hassy being, but this wasn't the articulating one either. There were a ton of adjustment options that I didn't even go into in the menu system, but I assume they are similar to the other Fuji cameras. All around I think they did a great job, it's just not nearly as small as the X1D camera body or lenses. Fro me, having a full size CCD MF setup already, the X1D will fit in perfectly. You have to keep in mind that Hasselblad already has a full powered camera lineup in the H6D series. I think what Fuji did was come out with a full powered mirrorless MF camera that will be very successful and bring in a lot of rest time MF buyers. The Hassy X1D will do the same, but they focused more on smaller, streamlined design. I also think that what's shipping with the X1D is still the preproduction firmware and there will be a substantial update that will bring a lot more functionality to the camera.

Paul2660

Thanks for the hands on report. I would love to be able to travel to NYC and see the GFX.

It's interesting to compare the specs of the lenses and EVF/LCD on both cameras.

There have been a lot of comments on the 63mm Fuji, and it's size etc. The specs state it's 3.31" x 2.80" and 14 oz, not sure if that includes the hood. The XCD lens that would be close I guess is the 45mm which is spec'd at 3.03" x 2.95" and also 14 oz. I guess somehow the camera/lens combination of the Fuji makes the lenses look larger? as the actual sizes are very close at least by published specs. No doubt the X1D wins hands down for smaller/thinner body. But the added features on the GFX may make up for this at least for some. The 32-64 is 3.65 x 4.57 inches but it supposedly doesn't have internal focusing, so I expect it to double in length as it's zoomed out. I believe the 63mm is the same, but the 120 Macro is internal focus and has the IS. Wish that the 32-64 had been given IS. Fuji has made the point many times that they are designing their lenses for upwards of 100MP resolution, so that may have something to do with the size? But the IC should be the same between the two as Fuji has stated they will not go "full frame" IQ180 sensor size for the GFX, so I guess it's up to Sony to come up with a next generation chip, @ 75 to 100MP.

Actually disappointed that neither camera has some from of IBIS for sensor stabilization as it's been shown by Pentax and Olympus just how many added features can be added with IBIS.

Did the GFX show 117AF points or 452? The specs have been a bit confusing on this as some places state 117 and others 452, so not sure what the final count will be.

I expected the results of the EVF's to be close as you point out, as their specs are very close, 3.69 Fuji dots vs 2.36 dots Hasselblad. What captured my attention was the difference in the LCD, as coming from the IQ Phase backs, I am very much appreciative of the P1 IQ LCD, and I am hoping that the 3.2 million Dot resolution on the Fuji will give similar results. Fuji's current LCD's on the their X series APS-C cameras are considerably less resolution I believe 1.0 million dots so the GFX is 3x.

Fuji is still not shipping the X-T2 in great volume, so it's apparent that the Sony chips are still hard to come by at least APS-C ones. Hopefully Fuji purchased enough of the Sony 50MP to get a first round of cameras shipped in considerably volume.

B&H is still showing expected arrival of first shipments 03/01. I personally will be surprised if Fuji makes the 03/01 date with any volume.

Paul Caldwell

D&A

Thanks Josh for your initial impressions of the GFX, especially after having had the chance to put the X1D through its paces.

Did you try adjusting the dipotic corrector on the GFX?

It does appear that the GFX's main competitor might end up being in some respects the Pentax 645 when the entire system is considered as a whole as opposed to the X1D.

Now if you could have somehow "borrowed" that GFX, you could have been the first to do an in depth comparison of the two (GFX & X1D) by early this evening :)

Dave (D&A)

Lol, I have the Reps card... So we'll see. They are doing a tour of the camera at various places over the next two weeks.

hcubell

I just had the chance to test out the GFX for a few minutes at B&H where they had it on display today. First impressions are... it's BIG. Not as much the body, which is bigger than the X1d, but the lenses are not compact. I picked up what I assumed to be the zoom lens and was quickly told that it was the 63mm lens. The zoom is about the size of the Hassy 35-90, the Macro is about the size of the Hassy Macro(but it does have IS built in). The very good news is that they are SUBSTANTIALLY lighter. But I was really surprised at how big the lenses were, the pictures that I've seen of them online made them look smaller. The good news is that the camera seemed to function nicely. This was certainly not an in depth test, I was just playing around in the store with it. But the AF seemed to lock on pretty quickly (was slower on the macro and noisier) and the EVF in continuous mode didn't black out like the X1D did. I did not see much difference at all between the two EVF's of the Fuji and Hassy. My X1D is arriving later toady, but the Fuji one didn't seem to be quite as sharp (5% less) as what I remembered the Hassy being, but this wasn't the articulating one either. There were a ton of adjustment options that I didn't even go into in the menu system, but I assume they are similar to the other Fuji cameras. All around I think they did a great job, it's just not nearly as small as the X1D camera body or lenses. Fro me, having a full size CCD MF setup already, the X1D will fit in perfectly. You have to keep in mind that Hasselblad already has a full powered camera lineup in the H6D series. I think what Fuji did was come out with a full powered mirrorless MF camera that will be very successful and bring in a lot of rest time MF buyers. The Hassy X1D will do the same, but they focused more on smaller, streamlined design. I also think that what's shipping with the X1D is still the preproduction firmware and there will be a substantial update that will bring a lot more functionality to the camera.
Thanks for the report. The Hassy 35-90 zoom and the 120mm Macro are very large lenses. Big and heavy. Given the size of the GFX lenses, I wonder how Fuji kept them relatively light compared to the Hassy zoom and macro.
The more I read about the GFX, the more it appears that it is positioned well for someone who is looking for a new system with the functionality of a Canikon DSLR but with a bigger sensor, and is not turned off by the form factor and user interface. To Fuji's credit, Fuji has delivered exactly what it set out to deliver...a Fuji XT-2 and lenses on steroids with a bigger than FF sensor and OOC JPEGs that offer the same Fuji film simulations.

Yeah, the simple answer to your weight question is the the lenses are plastic versus metal and probably less lens elements, but that's second one is just a guess. Or if not plastic, some sort of composite material. They felt light, not cheap. But I think you are right. The GFX will be more of a large sensor DSLR type of camera, which is what they were going for.