The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another approach to long lenses on tech cameras

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Actus DB+, my friend John Milich's Alpa adapter, Alpagon SB34 180/5.6

saves on messing with long rails and bellows! (ok, maybe not the most cost effective approach, but when I get another Alpa I'll be happy :) )

IMG_2576.jpg

Last edited:

dchew

Damn it Graham you have the best tool chest ever.

Thanks for posting it. Your image highlights why I am looking for other ways to approach this. That 180 hangs out there and I really want something longer!

Have you shot with that and is it workable?

Dave

gerald.d

Scratching my head on this one.

What benefits does the DB+ bring here? Do you need the movements?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

My Alpa was stolen. The Actus DB+ had ultimately every movement for a camera with live view (IQ150 and now IQ3-100) so it's a pseudo bellows camera. John produced a custom Alpa mount for the Cambo so I can use Alpa lenses (why I originally was interested) and now with long lenses the bellows don't need to be extended vs using raw lenses.

Btw, RIP John, I miss him.

GrahamWelland

Damn it Graham you have the best tool chest ever.

Thanks for posting it. Your image highlights why I am looking for other ways to approach this. That 180 hangs out there and I really want something longer!

Have you shot with that and is it workable?

Dave
This week in Yosemite. Thank you Jim Bancroft (super nice guy - someone buy his Alpa gear - if I could, I would have).

GrahamWelland

Scratching my head on this one.

What benefits does the DB+ bring here? Do you need the movements?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Gerald,

Yes movements are an option although the lens nodal point is way out there vs a traditional view camera.

cunim

Love that Platypod. First I've seen of it and I've been looking for something like it.

vjbelle

Graham..... that's a lot of weight on the front of that mount. I don't even use my Alpa 150 on my Actus as I dislike the weight distribution and the fact that it could 'sag' slightly. I limit my Alpa mount lenses on the Actus to the 100mm and 60mm. Those are pretty doable. My 180 is in a Copal 0 and its a dream to use...... but nothing can move as I'm sure you know. :)

Victor

GrahamWelland

Agreed about the lens being out there but thankfully the tilt adjustment track and knob have enough tension to hold it. I do wish that the Actus had a lock though for the tilt/swing controls. I would be concerned about vibration if triggering via the shutter but hopefully using the IQ3100 electronic shutter it'll be ok.

I'll see how I get on with occasional use. My other lenses are all 'native'. I do have the AC-330 long rail but not long bellows yet. That was my planned path to longer lens use eventually. If there is a problem I can just mount the 180 on the lens plate I bought for it. (TBH It was the lens that I wanted vs the Alpa mount)

vjbelle

Graham..... since you already have the longer rail I recommend you get the bellows and just use that as your standard setup. I have found that even the slightest amount of 'sag' will act as 'tilt' and affect the final image especially with a longer lens. I would take the lens out of the Alpa mount and put it in a 0 copal Actus lens plate. The balance is perfect and you may start to use that lens more. It is one of my more used lenses..... I posted once before but the only reason I leave my 150mm in the Alpa mount is to be able to use it on the STC for harsher windier conditions. That can be the difference between even taking the image or not.....

Victor