The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

mkerouac

I'm disturbed by reports of shutter delay / lag...

What are we talking here? Really bad? Barely perceptible?
I think the shutter lag is perfectly acceptable. Not DSLR fast, but not annoying either. The lag is obviously longer at slow shutter speeds, think 1/30th and below, but still not terrible.

Also saw a comment on wanting more color and contrast in the EVF. The X1D EVF is pretty good. I've looked through others that almost give a surreal look, the X1D isn't perfectly representing the real world, but as mirrorless cameras go, its good.

So far I'm seeing incredible resolution, often too much saturation, and overall a rendering that seems lacking in subtlety. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me like sensor/firmware/lens/camera raw profiles were designed for an instrument of advertising photography.

Sorry if I offend – not trolling, just hoping to see all views represented/considered/reconsidered. I do really hope I'm wrong, and/or that profiles will be developed for a gentler, more textured, 'deep space' rendering.

I wonder what the results with older Hasselblad lenses will look like.

Kirk

MomentsForZen

Thank-you to all of the X1D owners for taking time away from their photographic explorations to proide images and thoughts for us to salivate over.

Can any of the owners comment on the "deal" with the GPS. I read (somewhere) that the X1D doesn't have the GPS built-in, despite it being a clear feature in the specs at the time that orders were being taken. Instead, I seem to recall that Hasselblad were providing some assistance to get a GPS unit that fits onto the flash hotshoe??

Anyway, some clarification of the reality in this matter would be much appreciated. And if any of the owners can comment on how this arrangement works ... even better !!

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

tjv

Isn't this just a result of individual processing tastes?

So far I'm seeing incredible resolution, often too much saturation, and overall a rendering that seems lacking in subtlety. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me like sensor/firmware/lens/camera raw profiles were designed for an instrument of advertising photography.

Sorry if I offend – not trolling, just hoping to see all views represented/considered/reconsidered. I do really hope I'm wrong, and/or that profiles will be developed for a gentler, more textured, 'deep space' rendering.

Kirk

Thank-you to all of the X1D owners for taking time away from their photographic explorations to proide images and thoughts for us to salivate over.

Can any of the owners comment on the "deal" with the GPS. I read (somewhere) that the X1D doesn't have the GPS built-in, despite it being a clear feature in the specs at the time that orders were being taken. Instead, I seem to recall that Hasselblad were providing some assistance to get a GPS unit that fits onto the flash hotshoe??

Anyway, some clarification of the reality in this matter would be much appreciated. And if any of the owners can comment on how this arrangement works ... even better !!

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)
It's been mentioned a couple of times that you have to register with Hasselblad and they will then send you the GPS unit as it is not available yet. As far as I know Hasselblad has not issued a statement on this deviation from the original spec. And yes, it will be a hot shoe unit. Looking at the pictures it looked like you would not be able to fit a flash on top of the GPS unit.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Kirk
Kirk, have you managed to get any RAW files? If not, then you really can't justify the above opinion.... if you have had RAW files and you still feel that way, then I would like to hear more please!

Thank you.

KeithL

As lovely as many of these images are I wouldn't pass judgement on any digital camera or lens on the basis of anything other than a RAW file.

V

Vivek

Kirk, When the GFX images with the various Fuji Film simulations show up, they won't be out of place.

hcubell

Kirk
If there is one thing I am NOT the least bit concerned about with the X1D, it's the tonal and color rendering of the X1D raw files. Hasselblad has been working with the pipeline for raw files from that sensor for what 3 years, and I have seen many images from that sensor out of Hasselblad H5D and H6D cameras that I think have exceptional richness and subtlety. If you are seeing over saturated images lacking in subtlety and richness, I think you can safely assume it's operator "error".
The funny thing is that there is a whole thread over at LuLa that is all about the superiority of Hasselblad color for the X1D compared to the Fuji GFX, and how the Fuji GFX files appear over saturated and lacking in tonal richness and whether a LR profile can compensate for that.

mkerouac

An image and a crop of that image from a shot I took in my backyard this morning. Overcast and drizzle. The clock is up high on the side of my house so I couldn't get it straight on. Some sharpness is lost from Phocus FFF to DNG export to LR import to 50% jpeg export. But the detail is impressive.

ISO 400 f5.6 1/500

As a side note, I wish there wasn't so much shimmer in the EVF when outdoors. It is distracting.

X1D test_0002.jpgX1D Test_0105.jpg

bcambern

On their website, Hasselblad has now figured out how to market the detachable GPS unit as a positive - more effective, upgradeable and able to conserve battery power when not in use:

"Supplied as standard with the X1D, the unit integrates seamlessly with the camera via the hot shoe connection. The module uses dual satellite systems (GPS & GLONASS) for higher positional accuracy, and an improved CNR. Being hot shoe based the unit can be removed when not required, thus saving battery power. Additionally, being removable the unit can be upgraded very easily when newer modules become available."

mkerouac

It's been mentioned a couple of times that you have to register with Hasselblad and they will then send you the GPS unit as it is not available yet. As far as I know Hasselblad has not issued a statement on this deviation from the original spec. And yes, it will be a hot shoe unit. Looking at the pictures it looked like you would not be able to fit a flash on top of the GPS unit.
From what I've been told you are correct, you will not be able to use flash with the GPS unit. That is a bit of a downer, but nothing is perfect. I think the spec changed because they just couldn't pull a stable GPS signal through that body. The GPS module fulfillment plan is still not final in the US. It is unlikely that US buyers will use the form. Most likely it will be a direct fulfillment via internet. I don't think the big dealers will sign up for managing the forms. I was told just to hang onto the form until further notice.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

My view is that very little can be judged based on web size images. To say anything conclusive I think we need 1:1 crops, full jpegs or when possible, raw files.

On the other hand, I really appreciate owners who share any information about any system.

Realistically, we can assume that Hasselblad's own software Phocus is the one that supports Hasselblad X1D raws best and it is a free download for everyone.

Eleanor has written that she has not observed any significant difference between Phocus and Lightroom in her early experiments, that is great for Lightroom users.

Please, keep in mind that these are all first samples of cameras with first release of firmware. It is certain that many aspects of the camera will be improved, or be even better, with time.

I would love to see more raw images. I don't feel small jpegs tell a story but owners who are happy do tell a story and I hope that Hasselblad listens that story, not just by making an even better X2D but making updates to the X1D.

Best regards
Erik

No offense taken. Currently there are no X1D camera or lens profiles in LR/ACR (which many of the current owners use rather than Phocus). The renderings in this thread are a product of processing choices, not the IQ of the RAW files. I can share several RAW files if you're interested in seeing the straight-out-of-the-camera colors.

Richard, indeed the original spec called for built-in GPS and that was confirmed in the interview with the CEO at Photokina. At some point since then, Hasselblad decided, without announcing a change, to employ an external GPS unit that attaches to the hot shoe.

The external GPS accessory is not shipped with the camera. Owners must register their cameras, after which the GPS accessory will be shipped to them. No one knows when those devices will be available. As someone who is interested in geotagging, this change in design is annoying to me, especially since I bought the camera based on the spec at the time. Others get annoyed at the lack of a wired cable release. Me, not so much. So different strokes for different folks.

Joe

KeithL

This is a "Fun with..." thread folks, not a "show me all the pixels so that I can subject them to scientific analysis" thread. If anyone wants that kind of thread, start one or go to LuLa. In the meantime, if you want to discourage X1D owners from posting their images, continue to provide your thoughtful critical analyses.

Having fun,

Joe
Couldn't agree more, Joe. I just get miffed when folk are judging colour rendition from heavily processed jpegs.

Please keep posting: it's fun.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Joe,

Your point is well taken…

I happen to be an engineer who enjoys photography and I really appreciate any postings.

My approach is really to share as much information as feasible, not always as good about it as I would like: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/

Best regards
Erik

This is a "Fun with..." thread folks, not a "show me all the pixels so that I can subject them to scientific analysis" thread. If anyone wants that kind of thread, start one or go to LuLa. In the meantime, if you want to discourage X1D owners from posting their images, continue to provide your thoughtful critical analyses.

Having fun,

Joe

Frederic

Must keep this thread alive. Must keep this thread alive. Must keep this thread alive. Must keep...

On to the XCD 45mm, shot hand-held on a windy and chilly day (not in my pajamas) at Raleigh's historic Yates Mill.

Like its XCD 90mm sibling, this lens is razor sharp from corner to corner, edge to edge. Here's a 100% crop from the point where I auto-focused.

I'm still learning the camera. Today I learned that when I adjust the EV with the rear scroll wheel, the EV resets after capture. When EV is set with the rear LCD display, the EV is saved. Then I read the manual and that's the way it's designed to work. Duh. Also, when in M mode, the camera doesn't allow Auto ISO. In other words, M means manual for aperture, shutter speed and ISO. I'd like to be able to set the aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO "float" in some shooting situations.

I deliberately didn't carry a tripod today. This was a test of my ability to shoot medium format without a tripod at base ISO. Sweet. :thumbup:

Next, on to the XCD 30mm which I also shot today.

Joe
Really nice colors there, and pretty neutral (compared to Phase One warm and cyan bias).

Please post some more :)

etto72

Must keep this thread alive. Must keep this thread alive. Must keep this thread alive. Must keep...

On to the XCD 45mm, shot hand-held on a windy and chilly day (not in my pajamas) at Raleigh's historic Yates Mill.

Like its XCD 90mm sibling, this lens is razor sharp from corner to corner, edge to edge. Here's a 100% crop from the point where I auto-focused.

I'm still learning the camera. Today I learned that when I adjust the EV with the rear scroll wheel, the EV resets after capture. When EV is set with the rear LCD display, the EV is saved. Then I read the manual and that's the way it's designed to work. Duh. Also, when in M mode, the camera doesn't allow Auto ISO. In other words, M means manual for aperture, shutter speed and ISO. I'd like to be able to set the aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO "float" in some shooting situations.

I deliberately didn't carry a tripod today. This was a test of my ability to shoot medium format without a tripod at base ISO. Sweet. :thumbup:

Next, on to the XCD 30mm which I also shot today.

Joe
Beautiful image Joe !!
Looking forward to see some 30mm sample too :thumbup:
I was wondering how good those lenses are wide open(particularly the 90mm)
any opinion about that?
Thanks as always
Ettore

eleanorbrown

Erik I have been using phocus for all my processing for this site so far as I keep telling myself phocus has to have an advantage. With that said on the small amount of limited shooting I have done so far I'm seeing few differences in the two applications. I will keep comparing the two with more diverse files and report back. I have been shocked at the similarities in color, tone, etc. Eleanor

Hi,

My view is that very little can be judged based on web size images. To say anything conclusive I think we need 1:1 crops, full jpegs or when possible, raw files.

On the other hand, I really appreciate owners who share any information about any system.

Realistically, we can assume that Hasselblad's own software Phocus is the one that supports Hasselblad X1D raws best and it is a free download for everyone.

Eleanor has written that she has not observed any significant difference between Phocus and Lightroom in her early experiments, that is great for Lightroom users.

Please, keep in mind that these are all first samples of cameras with first release of firmware. It is certain that many aspects of the camera will be improved, or be even better, with time.

I would love to see more raw images. I don't feel small jpegs tell a story but owners who are happy do tell a story and I hope that Hasselblad listens that story, not just by making an even better X2D but making updates to the X1D.

Best regards
Erik

hcubell

Erik I have been using phocus for all my processing for this site so far as I keep telling myself phocus has to have an advantage. With that said on the small amount of limited shooting I have done so far I'm seeing few differences in the two applications. I will keep comparing the two with more diverse files and report back. I have been shocked at the similarities in color, tone, etc. Eleanor
Nick-T would know the details better than I, but my understanding is that Hasselblad did quite a bit of work directly with Adobe to develop the profiles used in LR and ACR for the Hasselblad files. Hasselblad recognized that Phocus could be a barrier to entry so to speak in selling Hasselblad digital systems, and LR was a very well accepted post processing software system, so Hasselblad decided it would be wise to take matters into its own hands and try to make LR work as well as possible with Hasselblad files. I haven't shot Hasselblad for quite some time, but my limited experience is consistent with Eleanor's. LR and Phocus are pretty close in most cases, though I can't say that there aren't corner cases where Phocus will do better.

Last edited: