The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D 4116 first impressions

hcubell

Prices in UK as follows:

X1D = 7788 GBP
X1D Black version 4116 = 10788 GBP or an extra 3000 GBP which is roughly 3764 US Dollars.

Once again we get stuffed here in the UK.
Actually, Keith, you get a BETTER deal. You did not take account of the 45mm lens included with the Black Version. In the US, the X1D plus 45mm lens is $11,290 and the Black Version with 45mm lens is $12,995, so the upcharge is $1,705 for the Black Version. In the Uk, the price of the X1D and 45mm lens is 8,080 pounds. The Black Version is 8,990 pounds. The upcharge is 910 pounds, or around $1,130.

KeithL

Actually, Keith, you get a BETTER deal. You did not take account of the 45mm lens included with the Black Version. In the US, the X1D plus 45mm lens is $11,290 and the Black Version with 45mm lens is $12,995, so the upcharge is $1,705 for the Black Version. In the Uk, the price of the X1D and 45mm lens is 8,080 pounds. The Black Version is 8,990 pounds. The upcharge is 910 pounds, or around $1,130.
Thanks very much for the info, now it makes sense!

Unfortunately the pages and prices I quoted made no mention of the inclusion of the 45mm lens and as a result made no sense whatsoever.

D&A

It's been said by others in so many ways here...but it's simply having the right tool for the one's specific task or goals at hand. Sure there is a lot of crossover between various photographic equipment in what it can and cannot do, but no one camera is going to have the ability to cover all bases for all individuals (yes its obvious). Just because a camera like the X1D is small relative to its brethren in the medium format digital category which lends itself and opens doors to all sorts of uses where a much larger camera might be left behind, doesn't mean its the right tool for all endeavors requiring a fast very responsive AF camera.

I know personally in the past when I needed a considerably large file size capable of capturing lots of smaller detail when shooting subject at considerable distance for subsequent prints, yet at the same time what I was shooting was extremely fast moving performing arts in very low light, it became a dilemma. Using medium format digital fit the bill for file size and capturing detail but 35mm DSLR fit the bill for fast AF speed and low light. All I could do is capture most of it with 35mm but did my best trying to capture selective key moments with the medium format for those extremely large format prints.

It comes down to picking a camera (and associated equipment) that ticks off as many boxes for what each one of us hopes and expects it does well. If we find that it doesn't in time, then consideration has to be given to moving onto something else that will. Just my own thoughts on the subject.

Dave (D&A)

Godfrey

It comes down to picking a camera (and associated equipment) that ticks off as many boxes for what each one of us hopes and expects it does well. If we find that it doesn't in time, then consideration has to be given to moving onto something else that will. ...
Yes.

For instance, it doesn't really matter me at all whether the X1D even has AF ... Thinking back to the demo, I tried the AF system but was much more interested in how easily I could focus it manually with 45 and 90 mm lenses (which proved to be very easily and quickly). How fast the AF system might be is completely irrelevant in my context.

G

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Add the extra one year warranty .....

Bob

D&A

Could it be you now get three?
Thats what I was thinking!

For Tim though, they might even throw in a bouquet of red roses and a box of chocolate as a way of saying they're sorry. .:ROTFL: (Just having a little fun :) )

Dave (D&A)

mkerouac

or... does it? I thought they were including and extra year warranty to everyone as a 'sorry' for the slow deliveries...
They are adding an extra 6 months for everyone. I got that certificate in addition to the extra 1 year on the 4116 and the lens. So 3.5 years total on the 4116.

hcubell

I read in Kevin Raber's review of the X1D that the X1D had "shutter lag." After the X1D I ordered arrived last week, I did some shooting with it and really did not detect what I would describe as obvious shuttler lag. I think there is likely a perception of shutter lag because the leaf shutter makes three distinct clicks after the shutter is depressed. However, the first click is quite instantaneous, the second click follows quickly after the first click, and the third is quite delayed. While I am not sure exactly what is happening, I did a Slo Mo Video of a stop watch with my iPhone with a Nikon SB-700 flash mounted on the X1D and, as best as I can tell, there is a delay of about 10 one hundredths of a second or 100 milliseconds between the shutter being depressed and the exposure. This a relatively crude test, but it is the best I could do. By way of comparison, a Canon 1DX has a delay of 43 milliseconds, a Leica M9 has a delay of 80 milliseconds, and the Hassy H has a delay of 160 milliseconds. So, while I am not sure quite yet, the issue of shutter lag on the X1D may turn out to be a Red Herring. At least for my use cases, it is a total nonissue.

hcubell

Howard, thanks for the info and comparisons. What I had called "shutter lag" would be better described as "blackout" - the period when the EVF (and rear LCD) is blacked out while the camera and lens go through their process. That blackout period seems longer (and has more "clicks") than other cameras I've used. What's been your experience?

Joe
Yes, I agree with you, Joe, about the blackout. That is lengthy.

D&A

Yes, I agree with you, Joe, about the blackout. That is lengthy.
Here are my questions regarding this blackout period in a production camera (since what I experienced with a demo camera may not be pertinant).

1. Approx how long would you estimate this blackout period to be before the camera is ready to Af and be able to fire the shutter?

2. If you are shooting in continuous mode say at highest frame rate, I assume the viewfinder stays blacked out while the camera then fires each subsequent frame?

If #2 holds true, then I assume it isn't possible to follow moving subject (in continuous mode)? Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

hcubell

See responses below.

Here are my questions regarding this blackout period in a production camera (since what I experienced with a demo camera may not be pertinant).

1. Approx how long would you estimate this blackout period to be before the camera is ready to Af and be able to fire the shutter? Seems brief. A second or so.

2. If you are shooting in continuous mode say at highest frame rate, I assume the viewfinder stays blacked while the camera then fires each subsequent frame? Yes.

If #2 holds true, then I assume it isn't possible to follow moving subject (in continuous mode)? That appears to be the case. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

See responses below.
Appreciate the responses Howard! If I understand correctly, with the viewfinder being blacked out when in continuous mode, it sort of partially defeats the purpose of that mode unless the subject is not moving, unless I am missing something. Again every camera has particular strengths in various applications, and the X1D certainly has many strengths but moving subjects would appear to be difficult to shoot with this camera in continuous mode at any frame rate set.

Dave (D&A)

KeithL

Appreciate the responses Howard! If I understand correctly, with the viewfinder being blacked out when in continuous mode, it sort of partially defeats the purpose of that mode unless the subject is not moving, unless I am missing something. Again every camera has particular strengths in various applications, and the X1D certainly has many strengths but moving subjects would appear to be difficult to shoot with this camera in continuous mode at any frame rate set.

Dave (D&A)
This is precisely the problem I have when using the Leica M240 with the EVF and continuous.

Out of curiosity, could someone tell me if this is also the case with the Leica SL. I'm hoping not and also hoping a future QL or whatever they want to call it would also not have this issue.

Apologies for going off topic.

D&A

This is precisely the problem I have when using the Leica M240 with the EVF and continuous.

Out of curiosity, could someone tell me if this is also the case with the Leica SL. I'm hoping not and also hoping a future QL or whatever they want to call it would also not have this issue.

Apologies for going off topic.
At least with the M240, you have the OVF to circumvent this issue unless of course you are using long focal length telephoto framed on your subject. I too was curious about the SL in this regard and how it compares to the X1D.

Dave (D&A)

KeithL

At least with the M240, you have the OVF to circumvent this issue unless of course you are using long focal length telephoto framed on your subject. I too was curious about the SL in this regard and how it compares to the X1D.

Dave (D&A)
Dave, continuous is not something I use all that often - the noise of the shutter firing in sequence scares the locals, but I do find the blackout to be very irritating.

D&A

Dave, continuous is not something I use all that often - the noise of the shutter firing in sequence scares the locals, but I do find the blackout to be very irritating.
With a Leica rangefinder, I rarely if ever use continuous mode, but for myself, when shooting the medium format, that is a very different story and that's the nature of why I asked about the X1D in this regard. I was curious about the SL and how it handles it, just to get a perspective of comparison to the X1D regarding black out of the EVF during continuous firing of the shutter.

Dave (D&A)

hcubell

I agree. Shooting in continuous mode is just not something I have a need to use with a camera like the X1D. (I have a Sony A7RII and have never shot in continuous mode.) I suppose it all depends on where you are coming from. If you are expecting the X1D to have the same functionality as a Canon or Nikon DSLR or a Sony A7RII, forget it. I expect that the Fuji GFX will come much closer. That seems to be what Fuji is aiming for. An XT-2 on steroids.
The length of the blackout with the X1D is likely something that can be improved in the firmware.