The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying a phaseone IQ160 in 2017

EdwinV

Hello folks,

I am desiring a MF system for some years now and I just stuble upon a great deal, or at least I believe it to be a great deal.

I found a p1 Df+ with iq160 and 3 lenses: 55LS, 80LS and 150LS, plus grip for 9500€ (around 10000USD) with 22000 actuations and 2 years old only.

Everything is in perfect condition as it has been used only in studio.

Do you believe it is a good deal?

Do you think it is too old to buy?

I am perfectly fine with a CCD, love this iq160 but I would much prefer the XF camera.

What do you think about the lenses.

Thank you guys for your help, as I have to make the decision quite fast...

:)
Edwin

Pemihan

The IQ160 is a great back, I had one for a couple of years and it produced some really nice files. To me it sounds like a really good deal you're looking at.

Peter

It depends on what you are going to shoot. The price including the lenses seems to be good, though it's a bit less than ideal if it's not an XF+ body.

The kit is ideal if you shoot portrait in studio, or if you shoot low contrast locations (not backlit, not sunset/sunrise/night).

If you shoot landscape or street, then it may be less than ideal and there are better choices of gear for lower costs.

There's a rumor that the Nikon D810 is discontinued in 2017, which means the 35mm format may be subject to megapixel increase.

EdwinV

Thanks for your replies! I have seen the kit this morning in it is like new! Obviously, I would love the XF but I might try to resell just the body!!!

Christopher

Sounds quite good. Let's see:
-80ls around 600eur
-55LS around 2000
-150ls around 2000
-df around 800
Comes at 5500 without the back. Which then with 4000 is a great deal. If everything looks great take it.

EdwinV

That's what I think, Christopher! The firmware version is 8.00.30 (sept 2016)! Do you know if it is the latest? Can the user update the firmware himself?

Also, it says 22062 counts, do you know if a refurbished back comes with zero count???

danlindberg

if everything is in good working order then it must be a great deal!

If Christopher is correct about a DF+ body for 800, then I'll happily take yours for that money when you upgrade. I would use it solely for portraits with V-lenses meaning no so-so AF in play anyway...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sounds good to me. I had the IQ160 and so long as you don't need long exposures (60-90s +) it is great. I wouldn't hesitate to get another IQ160 for it's great CCD colour rendering.

danlindberg

Just to ad on Grahams long exposure comment. Not sure if it is the same regarding long exposures as with my Credo 60, but I limit myself to 30 sec, after that noise is building up. So if that is an important criteria it is good to know beforehand. I wish it was better since I enjoy long exposure photographs...

Paul2660

The IQ160, is a great back, I fully agree, wish I still had mine at times as I agree it and the P65+ (same chip) had some very nice color. It's also still one of the best backs to use with a tech camera if you ever decided to go that direction.

You can see what the latest firmware level is by checking on the P1 website. I don't believe that the count is ever reset and if the count is 22K you have a great deal in front of you the only weak link being the DF+, glass is great. If you can later on pick up the XF used you are really going to have a great kit.

Paul Caldwell

yaya

There are quite a few people on here who can give you some sound advice and who owned this back and shot with it in all sorts of genres and environments including sunsets, sunrises and backlit scenes with no issues. People have been using CCD backs outdoors for about 12-13 years with great results. Just saying...
Enjoy!

There are quite a few people on here who can give you some sound advice and who owned this back and shot with it in all sorts of genres and environments including sunsets, sunrises and backlit scenes with no issues. People have been using CCD backs outdoors for about 12-13 years with great results. Just saying...
Enjoy!
There are quite a few people on here who can give you some sound advice and who owned [insert your own words here, e.g. film, P25+, Canon 1Ds, Nikon D1X etc] and shot with it in all sorts of genres and environments including sunsets, sunrises and backlit scenes with no issues. People have been using [insert your own words here, e.g. film, P25+, Canon 1Ds, Nikon D1X etc] outdoors for about 12-13 years with great results. Just saying...
Enjoy!

Don Libby

Edwin, I've used a 160 on both a DF as well as a tech cam getting excellent results shooting a combination of landscape, nature and wildlife. While the DF+ is "OKAY" the XF is much much better. Can you get this set without the DF? If so what's the price. If not contact a local dealer and see if they might be willing to take it as a trade towards a XF. If all else fails sell the DF+ and buy the XF. The XF has been out long enough that there may be a few available used or demos. Bottom line is the deal you're looking at seems to be good; the only thing you'd be lacking is an XF.

Best of luck and please keep us posted

Don Libby

One more item on your to get list will be Capture One 10 which can be had either for free if all you want to process is from the IQ160 or bought if you wish to process from other systems (not Hassy). I use C1-10 to process a combination of Phase, Sony and Canon files and across the board it rocks.

EdwinV

Don, I have been drooling on a Xf since it's launch! It will be my next purchase I guess! I hope I can sell the Df+ body quite easily!!!

Don Libby

Just a couple thoughts to tack on to what I said earlier. I don't shoot indoors. I normally shoot in harsh conditions ranging from freezing temps, snow, rain, blowing dust both high and low humidly and heat. I've never had an issue shooting in any of these conditions with my equipment; actually I'll give in well before the camera does; I've also owned 6-Phase One digital backs 4-of which were bought used. I did have 1-issue with a back that had to make the trip back to the mother ship which cost me $2000 for a complete overhaul. Once it was returned it was like new with several components being replaced that alone would have cost much more that the cost of the repair. Bottom line is don't worry about buying used so long as you can try it out first.

EdwinV

This morning I made a test with the camera and am viewing the files right now! What amazes me most, compared to the d800 is the color rendering! Soooo nice!