The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo lenses for a credo 50 back

felix5616

which lens works well with a cambo tech camera and a credo 50 MP, especially for someone with a budget for one or two lenses

That's a very flexible question - you haven't specified your budget, or most importantly, what you shoot.

Generally for wide angles the Rodenstock HR lenses are preferrd over the Schneider lenses for this Sony CMOS sensor. Longer lenses don't matter, but Schneider lenses are gradually getting discontinued while stock lasts.

Tom Holdsworth

I shoot landscape mostly, prefer wide angle. would like to be able to stitch. Budget is aprox $3500 per lens
I have a Credo 50 and shoot architecture with several Rodenstock lenses. I like to dabble in landscapes as well, but I'm a rank amateur in this realm so I'm sure someone else can chime in. The 32HR is a fantastic wide angle lens but well over the budget you quoted. It's also physically massive and a lot to carry around as a landscape lens. The 40HR might be a better pick in terms of size. It's less expensive than the 32HR and easier to filter. The 40HR is still twice your budget but I think it's a versatile focal length and a good lens to start a tech camera kit with. I don't own the 40HR but I do have the similar 50HR - that might just be a little too long for your needs if you prefer wides.

I shoot landscape mostly, prefer wide angle. would like to be able to stitch. Budget is aprox $3500 per lens
If you were shooting with Arca then I'd definitely recommend the 23HR, which for me is a must-have lens for 44x33mm sensors. It's even wider than the 32HR on a fullframe 645 sensor when you do single exposure (e.g. long exposure) while stitching is not practical. With Cambo you can't tilt it though.

Most fullframe 645 users would prefer the 32HR, but I'm not a big fan of it because its center filter is too huge and not filter-friendly and I don't like the idea of carrying a huge filter system for landscape, not even for cityscape. The 32HR is also delicate due to its Copal 0 at full stress of the weight, and may even become decentered when you don't move your tripod gently. Other than that, it's a brilliant lens which you won't regret. If you are a big fan of stitching and don't shoot long exposure then the 32HR is a better choice than the 23HR, because the 32HR can get a bigger file for about the same angle of view after stitching.

The other lens below the 32HR is the 40HR. The 40HR doesn't require a center filter, is smaller and lighter than the 32HR. The corners of the 40HR are also a tad sharper than those of the 32HR, but this is because the 32HR is wider.

For best result of long exposure landscape photography I would recommend getting the 23HR and the 40HR first, but if you care about second-hand resales in the future then the 32HR is more welcome by those fullframe 645 users.

The standard/telephoto lenses for technical cameras are not that strong when compared against the 35mm format. Personally I prefer Schneider's light-weighted lenses, but these are getting discontinued.

I've been shooting with the 44x33mm Sony CMOS sensor for almost 3 years now (due to the long exposure issue of the IQ3 100MP), and I still keep my kit of 23HR/40HR/75XL.