The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF compatibility with Mamiya N series manual lenses, and sharpness question

MRH

I know that the Mamiya C series lenses require modification to work on a Phase One XF body. I've been unable to determine if the Mamiya N lenses, which are also manual focus, require the same modification.

For reference, here is what one needs to do to a C lens:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1011&languageid=1

(I'm specifically looking at (and for - if you are selling one) an 80mm 1.9 lens.)

Any thoughts on the differences between N and C lenses from those of you with experience would also be appreciated. I actually like when light plays inside of the lens for this particular lens, but I do want to maximize sharpness at wide aperture.

Last edited:

gerald.d

Thanks for providing a link that explains the issue and how to get around it.

I hope you don't mind me using this thread to ask another question related to this subject, but does anyone know if - once the lens has been modified - it can continue to be used on the older cameras?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

ejpeiker

The Mamiya N lenses also need the modification linked to above. I have a 45mm f/2.8 N lens and it works like a charm. You do need to set the XF to Manual Lens for it to work - this is a one time setting and does not need to be undone for the SK autofocus/electronic aperture diaphragm lenses.

The modification does not preclude you from using the lens on older cameras once it has been done.

MRH

Thank you.

I had that feeling, the more I look, the more the N in Mamiya is the same as the t* designation in Hasselblad, which just about the coating on the optics.

On a related note, will the XF close down the aperture for the photo? I can't see how it would, but I may be missing something. I'm also wondering the same thing about the DF. How far back would one need to go to fully use the manual lenses?

The Mamiya N lenses also need the modification linked to above. I have a 45mm f/2.8 N lens and it works like a charm. You do need to set the XF to Manual Lens for it to work - this is a one time setting and does not need to be undone for the SK autofocus/electronic aperture diaphragm lenses.

The modification does not preclude you from using the lens on older cameras once it has been done.

MartinN

On a related note, will the XF close down the aperture for the photo? I can't see how it would, but I may be missing something. I'm also wondering the same thing about the DF. How far back would one need to go to fully use the manual lenses?
The manual lenses are unfortunatunely mechanical so that means that they are automatic only on non electronic cameras, ie M645, 645 Super , 645 Pro and 645Pro TL. Electronic cameras like 645AFD(I-III), 645AF, 645DF has to use stop-down metering. That means focusing with aperture switch on A(lens open) and then lightmetering and taking the picture with the aperure switch on M(lens closed down). Some electronic cameras only offered spot metering.

The N lenses are newer, and have better coatings and are 'usually' in much better condition due to age.

Martin

Last edited:

ADOLFOUSIER

I know that the Mamiya C series lenses require modification to work on a Phase One XF body. I've been unable to determine if the Mamiya N lenses, which are also manual focus, require the same modification.

For reference, here is what one needs to do to a C lens:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1011&languageid=1

(I'm specifically looking at (and for - if you are selling one) an 80mm 1.9 lens.)

Any thoughts on the differences between N and C lenses from those of you with experience would also be appreciated. I actually like when light plays inside of the lens for this particular lens, but I do want to maximize sharpness at wide aperture.
Yeah it work flawless after modification and is easy to do.