The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Capture One

V

Vivek

Somebody with 10k to spend on a 50mp MFD system isn't going to wait until they have 25k to spend just so they can use capture one. It's great software but the alternatives are certainly good enough to shoot tethered with.
I have been looking at the specs of the camera, the lenses and accs. Lack of C1 will not bother me one bit.

Iktinos

Not Available
Phase one has "protected" their medium format camera market against other brands by not supplying profiles for other medium format cameras. This way they might influence a few people to use phase one camera instead of other cameras, but at the same time they will sell much less licences of software.
Maybe they have realized this and
change this strategy with Fuji gfx, I would welcome if they do change this behaviour. (Even though after I was forced to switch to LR when buying into the S system I got so used to LR that I dont want to spend the time to switch back...).
would be great if we all had the choice.
Agree,

It makes sense for a company to protect their hardware high sales against competition by not supporting with software (as long as the software is superior -in some parameters of functions- and of high demand). It may looks like there is some income loss due to lower software sales, but then, if hardware sales are high, the profit balance may well be in favor of that kind of policy.

But in the case of the GFX, the above situation hardly applies (anymore) as P1 sales of hardware have been dropping during the last few years, but additionally, the sales of the GFX are expected to multiply the MF market at many times more the volume it had up to now.

Therefore, although it is hard for an observer to judge company policies without him being a participant or have the hardware sales volumes as to form a better opinion on the subject, one can assume that significantly higher sales of C1 software, could provide to P1 a considerable profit that maybe they are not in a position to ignore.

OTOH, it is to Sony's interest for MF sensor sales to increase from the low volumes the sensors have had up to now. In addition, Sony being the only supplier of sensors (to all others than Leica), it is also reasonable for Sony to take advantage of their position and ask ("politely" or "less politely") customers of them that purchase the lower volumes of sensors with respect to other customers that buy many times more the volume of the same sensors, to "help" as much as possible in order for Sony to have the production of MF sensors a profitable part of their business which will make it worthwhile to participate on.

That said, it also looks reasonable for Sony to increase the production of the 100mp 54x40mm sensor which surely, they don't make in large enough volumes up to now as to justify its existence. Therefore it looks most possible that a high production maker will be "helped" by Sony in the near future as to enter the large sensor market too. If this happens, it will surely affect the sales of the higher end of the MF market (the camera + back combination) further and therefore, one would expect the makers that participate in the higher end of the market to look for market resources as to compensate for the income losses due to the futher reduction of the hardware demand.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
P1 sales of hardware have been dropping during the last few years
Phase One Sales (overwhelmingly hardware) from public financials:
2011 - 277 million DKK
2012 - 295 million DKK
2013 - 388 million DKK
2014 - 385 million DKK
2015 - 413 million DKK

Based on the launch of the IQ3 100mp, IQ1 100mp, new lenses, and significant XF features it's reasonable to expect 2016 was another up year.

So what are your sources/evidence for a statement directly to the contrary of the above?

Note DKK is Danish Kroners; Divide by about 7 for USD.

stephengilbert

I love this place. The posters include experts on business, finance, law, design, engineering, and even photography.

Not just experts, but knowledgeable experts: they have Google.

It's becoming just like Washington, D.C.

Puma Cat

I wrote to Fujilfilm Middle East for a confirmation for the statement (answer to Gerald's question) made at GPP Dubai that Capture One would support GFX RAF files, and they wrote back and said, "Yes, we can confirm it."

Also, LuLa member PhotoKratky obatained a similar confirmation from a Fuji Rep at the Vienna Fuji Roadshow that Capture One would support GFX RAW, but that tethered shooting would only be availble from an intermediate software....

Link referenced here:
GFX will have Capture One Support

Paul2660

Fuji still has not really handled this issue well at all.

He needs to have Fuji to make a public announcement on this subject, period. And it needs to be done sooner than later, as a lot of damage has been done over the past few days. I doubt it will get done, not anytime soon. Fuji has handled this whole issue in a less than professional way which I have found a bit surprising based on their past product rollouts.

One needs to remember, that if the camera does ship on 03/01/17, then raw support needs to be enabled, which currently it has not. None of the beta tester reports I have seen including the one from Dubai, were shooting raw. And 03/01 is less than 2 weeks away, and if Fuji has not turned on raw support yet, I doubt they can get much testing done in the time frame, which also leads me to believe the camera will not be shipping until late March if then. If all we are taking about is jegs or tifs from the GFX, then yup C1 supports those right now.

No Dot release of LR handles the raw either, so Fuji might want to get on the stick pretty quickly.

Paul Caldwell

Puma Cat

Fuji still has not really handled this issue well at all.

He needs to have Fuji to make a public announcement on this subject, period. And it needs to be done sooner than later, as a lot of damage has been done over the past few days. I doubt it will get done, not anytime soon. Fuji has handled this whole issue in a less than professional way which I have found a bit surprising based on their past product rollouts.

One needs to remember, that if the camera does ship on 03/01/17, then raw support needs to be enabled, which currently it has not. None of the beta tester reports I have seen including the one from Dubai, were shooting raw. And 03/01 is less than 2 weeks away, and if Fuji has not turned on raw support yet, I doubt they can get much testing done in the time frame, which also leads me to believe the camera will not be shipping until late March if then. If all we are taking about is jegs or tifs from the GFX, then yup C1 supports those right now.

No Dot release of LR handles the raw either, so Fuji might want to get on the stick pretty quickly.

Paul Caldwell
If Capture One GFX support will be supported, there will be a formal public announcement by (one or all parties involved) one way or another in due course. The release of information as a standard practice occurs when the marketing and legal departments (of one or both) companies are ready to release a formal announcement, through a press release or other similar means. This usually occurs when the product is actually released for sale, and not before. The reason that RAW support is not "enabled" yet is because cameras are not available for sale. When has any camera ever had RAW support before it's actually been released for sale?

Lastly, what "damage" has actually been done? Has any party legally been made "less that whole" by the discussion here?

vjbelle

Paul...... for this camera to work for me then the processing software would have to be able to produce an LCC. The only software that I know of that can do that is C1 (correct me if I am wrong). The DNG Flat Field plugin for Lightroom does not work with latest releases and would probably be ineffective anyway (this is an assumption on my part). I want to be able to shift with my Schneider lenses - including the 35XL. You're a lot closer to this than I am but I won't believe any affiliation with C1 until I see it. It will be fantastic if true.....

Victor

Puma Cat

As Paul says, the best way to handle this is by a formal announcement, which will be forthcoming when all parties involved are ready.

Until that happens and given the high level of interest about this matter, I dug a bit deeper, and reported back an answer to an inquiry I made directly to Fujifilm Middle East who, again, did confirm that support will be available. IMHO, they are in more of a position to know than we are.

Gang, I don't "know" that Capture One will support GFX RAF or not.

I teach Design For Six Sigma, and as I say when I teach basic statistical hypothesis testing, I teach the principle that you can never actually prove anything with data. What you can do is gather enough data to make an informed inference at a given confidence level that something is likely to be true (accept or reject the null hypothesis). My view is that there is not yet a complete enough data set to actually "know". Presently, I have a what I would refer to statistically as approximately a 70-75% confidence level.

I really hope that it will, and personally think it will be a good thing for everyone: a win-win-win, of you will.

So, for me, and the community as a whole, fingers figuratively crossed.

Puma Cat

Paul...... for this camera to work for me then the processing software would have to be able to produce an LCC. The only software that I know of that can do that is C1 (correct me if I am wrong). The DNG Flat Field plugin for Lightroom does not work with latest releases and would probably be ineffective anyway (this is an assumption on my part). I want to be able to shift with my Schneider lenses - including the 35XL. You're a lot closer to this than I am but I won't believe any affiliation with C1 until I see it. It will be fantastic if true.....

Victor
Hi Victor,
Can you explain what an LCC is? I'm new to that term.

Thank you,
Stephen

Paul2660

Victor
Yes, LCC support will be needed if the camera is to used on Aptus or Unversalis, type setups, and you want to use the Rodenstock or Schneider glass. The LCC to correct both the color cast which will be there since there is no mirror box and the possible light fall off if you shift.

Funny, I overlooked this totally. And I agree the LR solution is less than adequate.

Paul Caldwell

baudolino

LCC is a function that allows you to take a picture of your system's "deficiencies", such as vignetting, false colours, (magenta/cyan), dirt etc. You take a picture through a milky filter that looks a bit like perspex - so the only stuff that registers is the bad stuff. You can then "subtract" the LCC profile from your images, to get a perfect reproduction of the scene.

Iktinos

Not Available

Victor
Phocus provides LCC too... By the way, a good question would be if phocus will also support the GFX, especially now that the H to G adapter is available from Fuji (which would then mean that H-lens profiles would be applicable).

vjbelle

Phocus provides LCC too... By the way, a good question would be if phocus will also support the GFX, especially now that the H to G adapter is available from Fuji (which would then mean that H-lens profiles would be applicable).
That would be a solution but I believe highly unlikely. I also doubt that any solution for an LCC can top the algorithms used in C1. I would like to be wrong about all of this.....

Victor

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I remain skeptical, but what is curious to me is that neither "company" has officially denied these rumors. All we are hearing from are sales reps and dealers. Certainly Phase is aware of the rumor. I am puzzled why they wouldn't simply deny this unless there is possibly some behind the scenes negotiation with Fuji to add support, perhaps licensing a special version of C1 like sony to be their "included" raw processor. Good news is we will know pretty soon.

the fact that raws are not available is actually unique, I've seen plenty of pre release reviews of cameras over the years and I don't recall any that don't discuss and show files from raws. Obviously that support is limited to software not available to the public yet, so it could be that's why the public demo days have it disabled, but certainly true field testers aren't just limited to jpeg. I can't imagine releasing a camera to the public that has not been tested in raw mode.

Iktinos

Not Available
I remain skeptical, but what is curious to me is that neither "company" has officially denied these rumors. All we are hearing from are sales reps and dealers. Certainly Phase is aware of the rumor. I am puzzled why they wouldn't simply deny this unless there is possibly some behind the scenes negotiation with Fuji to add support, perhaps licensing a special version of C1 like sony to be their "included" raw processor.
I had exactly the same thought... If it was "thin air" there would have been an official denial from P1 already, lets not forget that other than P1 adding a considerable income from the wider spread of software and other than Sony increasing considerably the volume of MF sensors they produce, P1 could find a great collaborator in Fuji if they are to enter the mirrorless MF market too and compete with Hasselblad X1D at the lower section of the Hi end market.

One never knows what collaborations are planned for the future, back in July, in the conference where the X1D was announced, the first question that was addressed to Perry Oosting was: "are the lenses made by Fuji?" and P.O. replied: "no they are made by Nittoh in Japan". That surprised many as to wonder "why is this case ?" , "Why would Hasselblad want to change the collaborator they had in making the H-system from the start, after so many years of collaboration?".

Certainly the near future will provide all the answers one may have wondered about, but one can't help to think, that the X1D resembles much a mirrorless as a stripped down version of the H-system it providing leaf shutter only, but the GFX resembles in proportion a mirrorless as to supplement the XF system, it being a mirrorless with focal plane shutter but with leaf shutter capability built in.

hcubell

I remain skeptical, but what is curious to me is that neither "company" has officially denied these rumors. All we are hearing from are sales reps and dealers. Certainly Phase is aware of the rumor. I am puzzled why they wouldn't simply deny this unless there is possibly some behind the scenes negotiation with Fuji to add support, perhaps licensing a special version of C1 like sony to be their "included" raw processor. Good news is we will know pretty soon.]

I don't understand why you think Fuji would feel obliged to announce that Fuji GFX raw files will not be supported in Capture One. What a strange announcement to make. It's not as though this would be a big plus they are in a rush to get out there. Things are better now where people will buy the GFX thinking/hoping/dreaming there will be Capture One support. If I were cynical, I would think these statements by local Fuji employees are actually part of a coordinated disinformation campaign to hype sales.
Now, why would Phase jump out there to quell the rumor? Has Phase made a habit of announcing that it won't be supporting specific cameras? Did Phase announce that it would not support the Pentax 645? If Phase were to announce formally that it not supporting the GFX, how would that be received among photographers? Like good news? Will it make Phase more or less popular? On the contrary, if it were true that Phase will support the GFX raws, wouldn't Phase and Fuji be trumpeting that news: "Fuji, the very first medium format system other than Phase to be supported by Capture One." Oh, maybe it's a big secret between Phase and Fuji, but some low level guy in the Middle East knows about it and casually let the news out, as if it's no big deal. Seriously?

Iktinos

Not Available
I remain skeptical, but what is curious to me is that neither "company" has officially denied these rumors. All we are hearing from are sales reps and dealers. Certainly Phase is aware of the rumor. I am puzzled why they wouldn't simply deny this unless there is possibly some behind the scenes negotiation with Fuji to add support, perhaps licensing a special version of C1 like sony to be their "included" raw processor. Good news is we will know pretty soon.]

I don't understand why you think Fuji would feel obliged to announce that Fuji GFX raw files will not be supported in Capture One. What a strange announcement to make. It's not as though this would be a big plus they are in a rush to get out there. Things are better now where people will buy the GFX thinking/hoping/dreaming there will be Capture One support. If I were cynical, I would think these statements by local Fuji employees are actually part of a coordinated disinformation campaign to hype sales.
Now, why would Phase jump out there to quell the rumor? Has Phase made a habit of announcing that it won't be supporting specific cameras? Did Phase announce that it would not support the Pentax 645? If Phase were to announce formally that it not supporting the GFX, how would that be received among photographers? Like good news? Will it make Phase more or less popular? On the contrary, if it were true that Phase will support the GFX raws, wouldn't Phase and Fuji be trumpeting that news: "Fuji, the very first medium format system other than Phase to be supported by Capture One." Oh, maybe it's a big secret between Phase and Fuji, but some low level guy in the Middle East knows about it and casually let the news out, as if it's no big deal. Seriously?
I think never in the past representatives of a camera maker came up and declared "we will be supported by C1" before... I believe if this would have happened, P1 would have come up with a denial if it was not true (since their name has been brought up by another company's employes)... It makes sense doesn't it?

I mean if your name was brought up in public by a third party for having a deal, wouldn't you deny it in public if it was not true?

Last edited: