The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone Using Contax 645 Lenses on their MF Digital Bodies

rollsman44

Is anyone using Contax 645 Lenses with an Adaptor on their Medium Format Digital Bodies?
I know they are Excellent Lenses and just curious to see if its possible to use them with an adaptor, Even with Manual Focus. Thanks

drevil

Staff member
correct me if i am wrong, the alpa fps is the only camera that has an adapter to use those lenses on MF.

doug peterson has had one 80mm F2 lens converted to mamiya/phase mount, but therefore the lens was only usable wide open.

there is now one adapter available to use contax 645 lenses on Sonz E-mount by steel chen

i am using my contax 645 lenses with my C645 body and p45+ and my newly aquired iq180 and couldnt be more happy

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
They work flawlessly with AF on the Leica S. Wonderful lenses, especially for the money. I used the Contax 35 for a few months on the S and it was stellar. I had a lot of fun with the 140/2.8, too. I know a pro who uses the 45-90/4.5 zoom (a real monster!) and the 80/2 on his S. His only Leica lens is the 120.

--Matt

Oren Grad

The Contax 645 flange focal distance is 64.00 mm. Hasselblad H is 61.63 mm, Mamiya 645 is 63.30 mm, and Pentax 645 is 70.87 mm. That means that adapters that maintain infinity focus are impossible for Contax-to-Pentax and Contax-to-Mamiya, and Contax-to-Hasselblad is not practical either. We may see an adapter for the new Fuji G mirrorless system at some point.

The adapters that you do see for 645 SLRs are all from larger format camera systems - 6x6 and 6x7 cm - which have substantially longer flange focal distances.

EDIT: following up on Matt's post, the Leica S flange focal distance is 53 mm, which is what makes that adapter possible.

rollsman44

The Contax 645 flange focal distance is 64.00 mm. Hasselblad H is 61.63 mm, Mamiya 645 is 63.30 mm, and Pentax 645 is 70.87 mm. That means that adapters that maintain infinity focus are impossible for Contax-to-Pentax and Contax-to-Mamiya, and Contax-to-Hasselblad is not practical either. We may see an adapter for the new Fuji G mirrorless system at some point.

The adapters that you do see for 645 SLRs are all from larger format camera systems - 6x6 and 6x7 cm - which have substantially longer flange focal distances.

EDIT: following up on Matt's post, the Leica S flange focal distance is 53 mm, which is what makes that adapter possible.
Getting back to Matt, so there is NO problem with AF on the Contax 645 lenses on the Leica S? I had the Leica S and the lens but the Leica lense was searching too much even in not so low light. So, its possible to get the S Body and Contax lenses and IQ is Excellent?
That sounds very promising . I am using Pentax 645 D and Pentax lenses and I have no complaints even with Manual focusing. I would like to see what others on the forum that can add to this discussion based on their experiences with Leica S and Contax lenses. Thank you, Dennis

DougDolde

That makes a big temptation to buy the Leica. I love Contax 645 lenses and they're so cheap it's ridiculous

Chipcarterdc

I've had excellent experiences with the Contax 645 lenses on the Leica S. I posted several lengthy threads over on Luminous Landscape describing my experiences, including some sample images. And given patience, the adapter can be had for far less than $1900: I think I paid around $800 for mine (used, from Leica Store Soho).

I'll continue to put in a plea every time this comes up for Phase One or someone to make a Contax adapter for the XF body....

DougDolde

I've had excellent experiences with the Contax 645 lenses on the Leica S. I posted several lengthy threads over on Luminous Landscape describing my experiences, including some sample images. And given patience, the adapter can be had for far less than $1900: I think I paid around $800 for mine (used, from Leica Store Soho).

I'll continue to put in a plea every time this comes up for Phase One or someone to make a Contax adapter for the XF body....
Phase One will never do it. Why would they allow people to use lenses that cost 20% of what their own lenses cost? It would surely kill their own lens sales. A third party adapter is the only way it will happen

Steve Hendrix

Phase One will never do it. Why would they allow people to use lenses that cost 20% of what their own lenses cost? It would surely kill their own lens sales. A third party adapter is the only way it will happen

Quoting Oren's earlier post:

"The Contax 645 flange focal distance is 64.00 mm. Hasselblad H is 61.63 mm, Mamiya 645 is 63.30 mm, and Pentax 645 is 70.87 mm. That means that adapters that maintain infinity focus are impossible for Contax-to-Pentax and Contax-to-Mamiya, and Contax-to-Hasselblad is not practical either."

Steve Hendrix/CI