The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Read at Your Own Risk

Graham Mitchell

It seems that Michael has published something of a retraction in the article now concerning the false report: "I mentioned the Hy6 camera above as being among those that is no more. Well, it appears that word of its demise may be a bit premature. At the request of Leaf I am including immediately below the most current situation update...."

'May be a bit premature'? That's right Michael, don't miss a chance to imply that the worst possible scenario is inevitable. What a you-know-what.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Graham you have a issue with Michael please take it to his place. I just think it is not fair to the members here about someone else that is not a member here to defend himself on this forum. Thanks I would appreciate this

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Graham:

I almost deleted your post above as to my mind it crosses the line. But I feel Guy has taken the better approach, so I just want to reiterate and support his comments so everybody is very clear that neither of us condone disparaging personal remarks on this forum.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Doug and Steve for your clarifications on the Phase system. And I can only say again - this is great open discussion here!

I have some more questions:

1) If you can use all the other lenses like the Contax lenses for example, does it mean that AF is supported as well?

2) I somewhere found the information, that Phase and Mamiya are currently working on a new camera, which shall provide more communication between back and camera. Is this true and if yes when will this be expected?

As I am going to buy into a complete new system with currently no MF gear in my bag I am pretty open and just want to make sure that I am getting the most open and future proof solution for me. Once I am in I am caught and a move to another system would be too expensive for me then.

fotografz

Jeeez, I wish you would do a little research sometimes before posting... Kodak's troubles are public knowledge.

see http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/04/news/companies/kodak_forecast.reut/index.htm?source=reuters
Sorry, but your implication in the context of this specific discussion is that Kodak (who makes sensors for Hasselblad and Phase One) is failing ... they are NOT filing for insolvency or bankruptcy ... if you read the article you provided, Kodak clearly states that despite the severe impact of the recession on consumer photographic products ... "the company's balance sheet is solid." And as I read it, they are seeking various diversified ways to weather the storm faced by most every company on the planet.

IMO, your comments are no different than MRs, just from a different bias. F&Hs troubles are also a matter of public record ... and you make the assumption that some white knight will ride to their rescue when you have zero knowledge of that as being even close to a fact.

It's probably best to let this all go now ... and IMO you should e-mail your feelings to MR directly since he's not here to defend his position.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter you do lose AF and also auto aperture . You will have to work in stop down mode. I am pretty sure this is with all lenses outside of Mamiya. Plus all the lenses that do work C1 has corrections for them and your Phase back . So you can control CA, Purple fringing and several other options. This is a nice feature. Doug and Steve can enlighten you more on this. As far as a new body or updates not sure Steve can confirm or deny this. But obviously it is needed to update a outdated film body. Personally I have no doubts this will come about just a matter of when.

N

nautilus

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
Doug,

I sometimes wonder how much units of these high-end digi backs like P65 or from Hasselblad are planned to be sold/manufactured (sales over product lifecycle).
Now I see that someone working in this industry is participating in this forum and would like to ask you.

Of course, I don't want to hear detailed confidential data but would like to get a feeling for an order of magnitude.

Is it more 200 units, 1000 or 2000 per product for example. The size of the market, e.g. units per year from Phase, Hasselblad and the others in one number could be an answer as well.

Thanks.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter you do lose AF and also auto aperture . You will have to work in stop down mode. I am pretty sure this is with all lenses outside of Mamiya. Plus all the lenses that do work C1 has corrections for them and your Phase back . So you can control CA, Purple fringing and several other options. This is a nice feature. Doug and Steve can enlighten you more on this. As far as a new body or updates not sure Steve can confirm or deny this. But obviously it is needed to update a outdated film body. Personally I have no doubts this will come about just a matter of when.
Aha,

this is what I feared (thought) ;) Thanks!

So this kind of openness in using old and third party glass is no argument for me anyway, as I will buy into a new system and stay within that system. I know I will then be inside a kind of closed system in any case if I want to have all benefits like AF, no stop down mode, corrections in SW etc. This is then the same for Phase and Hasselblad and S2.

Which is perfectly fine for me, since I do not have any more old glass (have sold all my MF analog stuff some years ago) and can now happily jump into a new system (adventure) :angel:

Issues for me are more if:

1) this new system (the vendor) has a clear future strategy (and does not disappear from the market in some years which I personally fear about Leica's S System after their recent history in digital)

2) the current available line up in lenses (all new designs, fully functional with all features)

3) plans for the future - new backs, bodies etc. - in case of the S2 if (and then) there will be a S3 with eg. 50MP

Graham Mitchell

Graham you have a issue with Michael please take it to his place. I just think it is not fair to the members here about someone else that is not a member here to defend himself on this forum. Thanks I would appreciate this
Guy, I respectfully disagree. I am not criticising a forum member, I am criticising an author. Michael published those comments in an article, not a forum, and there is no opportunity to add a correction to an article myself (unlike a forum post). My criticism is no different to people criticising articles by Ken Rockwell, Erwin Puts, etc, and that certainly happens a lot, and with good reason.

I can't help feeling that if an article had falsely stated that Hasselblad or Mamiya was out of business, this forum would be a lot noisier right now.

If "you-know-what" is too strong a term for this forum then I apologize :)

fotografz

I never said they were. :rolleyes:
More out of context quotes ... give it up already ... the horse has been beaten to death, ground up for dog food, which the dog ate and then fertilized the pasture where the next horse fattened up ... only to be beaten to death by you again ...:ROTFL:

Moving on now ...

paulmoore

graham, you had good reason, as I did, to be tweaked by MR's comments in his p65+ review..but the thing is you didn't just mention the slight on F&H, you went on and on about it..grinding an axe comes to mind.. so I think when you finally called him a " ", it gave the powers to be here a specific line-crossing to slap your wrist.. I enjoy reading your take on things but feel you need to take the chill pill on it now.. You do make a good point and I agree that we should be able to crit a review here and not feel like the overseerers are going to protect their equals on another board..MR is more than capable to post a defense if he wants, live by the sword die by the sword.
I hope this place remains both friendly and yet maintains an edge of the critical. We all have our favorites, I picked a platform/system that I felt was the best, we all do that so by nature we are not purely objective.. I do get tired of reading the pushing of ones own preferences both here and on L.L., and now that so many reps are chiming in as well as those that aren't official reps but come off sounding like it. I hope in this forum we can call a spade a spade and let the chips fall where they fall.