The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV50C and 903 SWC?

Grayhand

So, any experience?

The 38 lens to wide for the back?
Any color shift or other problem?

:talk028: No, of course I don't NEED it

But what has "need" to do with anything here at GetDPI?

Ray

vjbelle

Can't comment on color shifts but I did own a 903 SWC and shot it with a P25 and thought that the lens quality was sub par..... even with those fewer pixels. I would want to shoot with it before buying it.

Victor

Grayhand

Thanks for your answer Victor!

I must admit I am a bit surprised by your answer.
It was not a comment I expected!

Was everything ok when you used film on your 903?

Yes, it is a good advice to try it out with my digiback before buying, if possible!

Ray

vjbelle

Film is so forgiving. Yes, everything was fine when shooting film. That whole era is going back to 2005?? I think. The lens did not hold up well digitally under scrutiny. There were some decentering issues that weren't gross but really not up to the task. Wide angle is really demanding and, again, I really recommend you try before buy.

Victor

Edit: Given the overwhelming praise for the 903 I was also surprised. I've learned that a lot of photographers don't test, don't know, don't care about these issues but I do so I look and test. Good luck.....

jng

The 38mm Biogon does not play well with the digital sensor and its cover glass, owing to the oblique beam angles inherent in the symmetric lens design (notice how close the rear element is to the imaging plane?). This causes color casts and sharpness fall-off toward the edges of the frame . I tried a SWC on my full frame IQ160 but ultimately gave it up - it was serviceable but required stopping down to f/16 to pull the corners in and LCC correction to take care of the color casts. The issues may not be as severe with the crop sensor of the CFV50C, although as I recall Hasselblad makes a note in their literature that sub-optimal image quality will result from this combination. I agree with others that it's a good idea to try it out and judge for yourself before taking the plunge.

I suppose the new X1D with the 30mm lens comes closest to re-creating the experience of shooting with the SWC (albeit in 645 format), but that's a whole 'nother discussion that is perhaps better left to other threads...

John

Godfrey

I've looked at a lot of SWC photos made on a variety of different digital backs and have to agree: My beloved Biogon 38mm T* is really at its best on film.

For a 'real' Hasselblad super wide digital, I'm hoping for a 22mm lens for the X1D. Cropped square, that would net a nice 37 Mpixel image with look and feel pretty similar to the SWC, if you open up 1.5 stops.

In the meanwhile, fitting a Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 or Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 (set to 16mm) to the Leica SL, with the crop set to square, gives me the closest emulation of the SWC I've found. I have to open up the lens by three stops to get the most similar DoF to the SWC (I'm usually shooting the SWC at around f/11).

G

Grayhand

Thanks for your time and info!

Looks like I should scrap that idea then.
Pity, it was such a good idea based on the fact that I have a almost pathological amount of frozen 120-film.
Not sure I would like to buy it just for film at the moment.It was the idea of an almost handheld combo of film/digi that was tempting.
There is always the 40mm for my V-camera, but this combination is a completely different thing to drag around.

Back to the drawing board..

Ray

Last edited:

richardman

SOme guy on a FB group shows photos with this combo and they look good. I'd advise not to give up on the idea until you try it.

Jan

Although I am willing to admit that the lens may have its limitations (certainly compared to more modern lenses) to get the maximum performance out of the DB, I have seen very good results left and right. I use a SWC/M with a P25+ back (previously P21) and the results are satisfying, even better when applying a LCC shot. Hasselblad indeed has some 'notes of warning' in all their DB brochures which already started with the CFV16, claiming that the combo should not be used for critical work. Similar applies to the Hasselblad ArcBody.

Obviously what works for one, may not apply to someone else. Than again, if you wish to push the envelope to maximum performance you are probably talking other budgets these days.

Godfrey

Well, I wouldn't give up on buying an SWC anyway. Use it with film and scan the film. It's a marvelous camera.

It may very well be my last film camera. I'm on the second one I've owned and I'll keep it, use it, as long as I possibly can.

G

Thanks for your time and info!

Looks like I should scrap that idea then.
Pity, it was such a good idea based on the fact that I have a almost pathological amount of frozen 120-film.
Not sure I would like to buy it just for film at the moment.It was the idea of an almost handheld combo of film/digi that was tempting.
There is always the 40mm for my V-camera, but this combination is a completely different thing to drag around.

Back to the drawing board..

Ray

I've looked at a lot of SWC photos made on a variety of different digital backs and have to agree: My beloved Biogon 38mm T* is really at its best on film.

For a 'real' Hasselblad super wide digital, I'm hoping for a 22mm lens for the X1D. Cropped square, that would net a nice 37 Mpixel image with look and feel pretty similar to the SWC, if you open up 1.5 stops.

In the meanwhile, fitting a Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 or Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 (set to 16mm) to the Leica SL, with the crop set to square, gives me the closest emulation of the SWC I've found. I have to open up the lens by three stops to get the most similar DoF to the SWC (I'm usually shooting the SWC at around f/11).

G
They just announced that a 22mm lens for the X1D will be available in the future! Not much info other than that.

Godfrey

They just announced that a 22mm lens for the X1D will be available in the future! Not much info other than that.
Damn them! I guess I'll be spending another big wad'o'cash sometime in the next year or so then. Aiieee. :banghead:
Oh well, I better get practicing with the SL and the SER15 to be ready for it.

G

"Be careful what you wish for. It just might come true."

Grayhand

Well, I have no plans for the X1D..
Completely pleased with the CFV50C!

Well, I am a sucker for the square format, 6X6.
I had my last two Mamiya 6 and 6M stolen 1 1/2 year ago, together with with other analogue cameras and accessory, for the neat value about 10 000€..
This was my planed analogue stash for the coming pension.

In some way I am thinking about buying some new Mamiya 6 cameras, but I have had totally 6 of those now, so maybe time to try something new?
But portable!

I have 5 film backs for my V-camera, but it does not inspire me to run around without the large tripod..
Hence my questions about the 903 SWC.

Every time I pass my film freezer I can here the film begging me to be taken out of the cold and in to the light again.
So we will see..

Godfrey, I will blame it all on you :thumbup:

Ray

deardorff8x10

I have this combination and have not seen a color cast. I find that focusing with the CFV50c is tricky, as there is a bit of a sharp transition to what is out of focus and there is only guessing on my part about distance, especially at closer distances, as I don't have a Leica disto or anything. I use the "superslide" or whatever they are guides in the viewfinder and with a bit of experience it isn't bad.

The lens gives corner falloff (it isn't bad, maybe 1-1.5 stops), but doesn't appear as sharp as the 40 FLE -- not terrible, just less biting. Oddly, I felt the opposite with film, probably due to higher distortion in the 40 lens, which Phocus can handle in digital. I think at longer distances with f8-11, the SWC/50c is a fine combination, though it doesn't have the wide look of the SWC on film.

The overall package is small. However, you would need to get either a batter spacer or a new foot for the SWC to clear the battery. I did the latter, which works well.

I hope the above helps!
Michael

Grayhand

Ahh, nice info!

Do you have a hint for were to find the smaller foot?

Michael, it might be that I have to put you on the blame list together with Godfrey :thumbs:

Ray

Grayhand

Good info!
Hmm, it looks like my site searchings skill are not as good as I thought they were..

Thanks a lot guys, my wallet has already started to whimper :cry:

Ray

daf

Well, I have no plans for the X1D..
Completely pleased with the CFV50C!

Well, I am a sucker for the square format, 6X6.
I had my last two Mamiya 6 and 6M stolen 1 1/2 year ago, together with with other analogue cameras and accessory, for the neat value about 10 000€..
This was my planed analogue stash for the coming pension.

In some way I am thinking about buying some new Mamiya 6 cameras, but I have had totally 6 of those now, so maybe time to try something new?
But portable!

I have 5 film backs for my V-camera, but it does not inspire me to run around without the large tripod..
Hence my questions about the 903 SWC.

Every time I pass my film freezer I can here the film begging me to be taken out of the cold and in to the light again.
So we will see..

Godfrey, I will blame it all on you :thumbup:

Ray

Using a leicaMdigital+voigt15+hasselblad swc viewfinder, give you a very closed feeling as using the original swc...almost identical

But if you want to use your MFDB, then best way is probably an alpa tc+rod23 and put on top the hassy swc viewfinder ;)
Not sure how the 24digitar lens cast can be corrected, but maybe this can be a cheaper option...