The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 4 Pro with Macbook Pro 4GB Ram

Hello:

Is anyone using a new MacBook Pro with the standard 4GB of RAM with Capture One 4 Pro? I had heard initially that there was a problem with that amount of RAM and the software. It's getting to be upgrade time. Phase was saying it was an Apple issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guys, are you shooting tethered? It works fine on my 2GB ram macbook if rather slow and clunky but it is basically inoperable on my 8 core Mac pro Xeon with bags of RAM. Phase told me that it was to do with the way the program and the machine use all those cores and that they hoped to fix it. That was a couple of versions ago and I haven't tried it again since.

T

carstenw

Tim, did you do a complete uninstall and remove of any previous versions? Someone on LL had a severe slowdown which was cured when this was done.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
4.6.3 should have no issues with 8-core macs or ram above 2gb. That issue was known and was in 4.6.0.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

tashley

Subscriber Member
"too"? you mean: "about" :) I had forgotten. Duh.
'Scuse my ropey grammar Carsten ... that's not like me either!

Now, I tried my 8 core Xeon on C1 4.6.3 for the first time since I installed it with live preview and zoom/focus view and, like the previous version, it did not work at all... all the usual glitches and crashes. So I did a full un-install are re-install and now, finally, it does work.

I'm guessing that whatever multi-core or RAM configuration issue there was has been resolved and that it should work on a current macbook pro BUT if it were me, I would not bet on it. My experience with the software is that it is glitchy, unpredictable and unstable and that to purchase a new machine on the basis that it will work on it would be foolhardy. So the the OP I say, until someone tells you that they have the same machine on which you want to run it, don't splash out...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hello:

Is anyone using a new MacBook Pro with the standard 4GB of RAM with Capture One 4 Pro? I had heard initially that there was a problem with that amount of RAM and the software. It's getting to be upgrade time. Phase was saying it was an Apple issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
I tried it on my MacBook Pro 17" with 4G RAM and it is damn slow. Even slower than working with PS CS3 and having 5 or 6 layers open in a 200MB file.

So I stopped using it.

I have NO problems wit Aperture2, PS CS3, Flexcolor etc on the same machine, so I think it must be a Phase problem, they should solve!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I tried it on my MacBook Pro 17" with 4G RAM and it is damn slow. Even slower than working with PS CS3 and having 5 or 6 layers open in a 200MB file.

So I stopped using it.

I have NO problems wit Aperture2, PS CS3, Flexcolor etc on the same machine, so I think it must be a Phase problem, they should solve!
Sounds like something is wrong. Performance should be pretty darn good.

I suggest you uninstall/reinstall (instructions).

The other possibility is that C1 is redoing the cache folder for the raw files you are viewing. The fix is to simply wait after opening the folder for the first time with the new version. After the cache is redone (about 1-3 seconds per raw file) it should rock and roll nice and smooth.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up