The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H2 - entry level back?

robmac

The import duties into the US on camera gear are between 2-2.9%. In short, nada. IIRC that also only applies to lenses, etc, not bodies. The US Customs website can be used to search for relevant fees (have a coffee ready..)

WHAT IS NASTY and nails US/CDN buyers of gear are the 'brokerage fees' that couriers, especially UPS, charge when they ferry gear crosses a national border. The fee starts at a minimum and then scales based on declared value. On smaller purchases they can amount to a HEFTY percentage of value. Couriers are legally bound to charge any applicable duties as well.

That said, in most cases (for we folks in NA) the brokerage fee will grossly exceed the value of any duty. UPS is or was facing a class action suit in Canada because of them, but I stopped following it a couple of years ago. The seller sees none of it and IIRC neither does your/my government.

Example: I recently HAD to ship a $1800 lens I was selling to a US buyer via UPS (don't ask). Cringed thru the whole process. Took as long as Canada Post would have and the 'signature required' lens was left at his apartment door for the day. The combined fees charged by UPS was just over $90 - including a 2.9% duty.

UPS's brokerage fees are the reason why CDN photogs avoid places like KEH (who only ship UPS) for smaller purchases. Some sellers who normally ship UPS (ffordes or SH Photo) will make exceptions (*) if asked nicely, but some like KEH are contractually bound to UPS.

HOWEVER IF the hardware is shipped via the seller's postal service, no such fees apply and in the VAST majority of cases USPS/Canada Post don't bother to collect import duties or taxes. They only samples packages are are far more concerned, especially in the US, with nasty items and contraband than acting as IRS Agents. In the years I've sold my used gear into US buyers, none have ever been charged ANYTHING - IF it has been shipped via Postal Service. That's a pretty common story if you poll folks at various B&S forums.

I've bought and sold FAR too much gear over the years to/from all over the EU, Asia, SA and even The Soviet Union via their national postal systems (many of whom could teach USPS/CP a thing or two) with NO issues. In most cases the gear arrived as fast as it would have by UPS or FedEx for far less $$$, and was just as secure in that I had to go pick it up vs. risk some #$%^ dropping it on the front step.

In short - if you want a high-end item from overseas, it may be just as economical to go over and get it if you can't find away around using a courier.

(*) Unless you send with a lower declared value or uninsured (obviously at the buyer's request and sole risk), very spendy items will exceed the insurance limit (e.g for Royal Mail it's 500 Pounds, Canada Post C$1000) of most postal services.

Last edited:

KeithL

It certainly seems to be a better prospect for you guys in the USA and Canada to import cameras from the UK & EU. It seems the UK government is never happier than when they're fleecing their own!

:banghead:

H

Howard Cubell

recent shoot

Just saying :).
That photo, Doug, is of a model who has just passed out after being told how much money the photographer could have saved by going to Pro Centre in London and buying an H3D-39 rather than a P30+ from CI in Miami.

Clawery

I've got a line on a lightly used H2 (<7k actuations) with 80mm and 210mm lenses and am wondering what a reasonable (<$15K) back would be? Phase One? Leaf? I'm not ready to dump $20+K into MF, but willing to get my feet wet.

I'm considering Hassy over the Mamiya on recommendation of my brother who shoots MF and prefers the Hassy (and Sinar) glass. Opinions?

Thanks!
Scott,

As Don Libby mentioned we have several pre-owned and refurbished units available. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know and I will gladly help you.

Chris Lawery (Email Me)
Sales Manager
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

robmac

I have nothing but sympathy for our friends in UK and EU. Sold some high-end Leica lenses to folks in Norway and Denmark - damn near choked when I was told what VAT/duties were (IIRC 30% Norway).

Reminded me of a conversation I had with taxi driver in Copenhagen about Danes buying cars in Sweden and registering them there (IIRC the scam correctly) to avoid Danish taxes/duties.

Just don't give the CDN gov't any ideas - they'd tax the spit in your mouth given 1/2 chance.

PoloDigital

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Given what is available in the states, I will most likely buy something here. I did bite the bullet and purchase the H2, 80mm, & a 210mm lens. I'll run some film through it before I jump off the deep end, but I'm also in no hurry and it still appears to be a buyers market :D

Research begins!

fotografz

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Given what is available in the states, I will most likely buy something here. I did bite the bullet and purchase the H2, 80mm, & a 210mm lens. I'll run some film through it before I jump off the deep end, but I'm also in no hurry and it still appears to be a buyers market :D

Research begins!
One note on aesthetically matching your H2 if that matters at all to you.

If I recall correctly, the H mount Phase One backs are the color of your camera ... obviously, so are the CF and CFH backs from
Hasselblad. (I'll be corrected immediately if wrong about this :ROTFL:)

The H mount Phase One backs are NOT "at will" interchangeable with other MF cameras unless you pay $$$$ to have the mount changed. However, the Phase One H mount and the H2 camera has been a very popular and proven Pro set-up thus worthwhile investigating IMO. Lots of Phase representation on this forum for more info and pricing.

The CF and CF-II backs from Hasselblad are also a great solution because you can use it on most any MF camera made at will by using a system of iAdapters from Hasselblad, and you can use it on any tech camera with full mobility for location work.

The CFH model digital back from Hasselblad will not work on other MF cameras .... it will only work on a H1, H2 and H2F camera ... and most any tech/view camera when tethered to a computer ... with tech camera mobility on location with the Image Bank II to provide power to the back.

FYI, in the last communication from my Hasselblad USA dealer, a certified Pre-Owned CF-39 digital back with 6 month Hasselblad warranty was $13,495. A CFH/22 for a H1,H2, and H2F was $9,995. And the KING of the heap, a CF39 Multi-Shot was $19,495. Any authorized Hasselblad dealer can check to see what might still be in inventory.

Good luck with your new camera and your search for a digital back whatever one you select (they are ALL very good!)

-Marc

Dolce Moda

What about the Leaf Valeo 22WI? Are they any good? The price is right now from Leaf America.
I can live without the LCD

yaya

What about the Leaf Valeo 22WI? Are they any good? The price is right now from Leaf America.
I can live without the LCD
If your intended use is in a studio (or location), tethered and with proper lighting then you will not find anything that gets near the V22 for speed and image quality, especially at that price.
I should still have some files (fashion and other) that were shot with the Valeo. Contact me offline if you want to have a look

BR

Yair

PoloDigital

Finally was able to shoot a roll of film with the H2... I'm impressed!
And yes, I know the bra is showing. This was from the first set of images I made with this gear. For a better look at Katie shot with the Nikon D3, look here.

Hasselblad H2, Hasselblad 210mm f/4
Kodak Portra 160NC, f/7.1, 1/125
EPSON V700 4800ppi 16bit ProPhoto RGB, EPSON Scan Software

For the pixel peepers, here's an 8MB, 28MP full size image