The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The bad, the good and the awesome= Real Value

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I wanted to report a situation that went from terrible bad to turning into something very positive. First let me say you can put any spin on this as you want and it means very little to me because I maybe viewed as somewhat bias which in reality is i am not. I will flip a system on a dime ( too many times) if it gets me the gear i want but let me add I will admit I have my favorites and I pick a system based on many things this story is one of those main reasons why I pick what i pick to use in a professional setting everyday. I find this as a extremely valuable decision when you buy.

The Bad:
Last Friday night March 13th ( YES Friday the 13th) I was hired to shoot a 4 day event and it came time to setup my strobes and shoot a very important board of directors. I had 15 of them to do a portrait and than a shot with there wife also. I set up my Elinchrom with my Skyports and did some final testing and was literally starting on the first person and had everything dialed in the way i wanted. Well the first person stepped to the plate. Grabbed the Phase/Mamiya AFDIII with my 150 and went to shoot the first shot. Pressed the shutter and NOTHING and I mean NOTHING. I looked up on the top LCD and every number and letter that could possible come up was showing. I will explain if you ever looked in a camera manual and they show a illustration of all the possible settings on a top LCD well that is what I had. Obviously my heart slipped into my feet and than I tried pulling the rechargeable put in a new set . No go, pulled back off ,lenses and every possible combination you could think of I tried. Okay I have been around the block for 35 years so i knew i was fried. Than tried alkaline batteries and still no go. Now i have to do something and backup AFD body is at home. I know I know but I never in 16k frames had a issue. I tell the client I am screwed for at least 40 minutes to go home and retrieve backup. No problem from client but still embarrassed and stressed. In town don't normally bring the AFD but out of town for sure. May have to rethink. LOL

The Good:
Okay jump in car and make the call to superman. Rocket over with new body. Oop's sorry he does not have a rocket pack. Doug Petterson is a great guy from Capture Integration but rocket launching to Arizona is just not in the cards. I chatted with Doug to try and figure out some things I did not do and great advice but I tried all of them and the bottom line he thought it was fried also. I felt bad i know being a young single stud in South Beach he was out on a hunt for some action. LOL

So on return with backup I finished the gig with no issues and got it done. Next morning Doug already filed a report with Mamiya and had a RMA number ready to go for repair and address to ship to the Mac group. Sunday morning i decided to send Dave Gallager owner of CI, Chris Lawery
Sales Manager of CI , Steve Hendrix and Kevin Raber of Phase One a e-mail of what happened since I never seen or heard any type of reports on this type of issue.

The Awesome:
Dave and Chris immediately got a loaner out Monday morning to me to cover me until the repair was finished. Steve and Kevin took note of the situation and we had a few e-mails between all of us with some good chatter .Some great folks here that wanted to get everything worked out and me back and running up to sped. I shipped the camera out but I did not get it to the Mac group until Thursday since I had a loaner i was pretty comfortable of the time issue . Thursday morning I get a e-mail from Doug they received the camera in shipping dept. and low and behold the very next day today the camera was overnighted to me back and running. The issue turns out they replaced the Power Panel on the Phase Body and also when there they updated the firmware to 1.5 . All under warranty and all I paid for was shipping to them.

The Value:

First i will admit I am a good customer to CI and to Phase One but I don't think any favors where being done out of the ordinary for there customers. I tell this story only because of the value i see in working within the warranties and working with the dealer network out there. Not saying Hassy, Sinar or leaf is better or worse but I do see the value with Phase and I do see it with working with dealers on making these very large purchases. Bottom line **** happens and how much support you need depends on you and what your needs maybe. Me i like my hand held and that is my bottom line. I chose the dealer and OEM that I thought would be best for me and obviously those choices I made are of value. I hope folks make good choices when they purchase no matter what brand and what dealer you chose , make sure it works for you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this very long report. Guy

LJL

Good experience story, Guy. Glad you shared it. Brings up two very important points: 1) as you clearly noted, it is really, really important to have the service and support when things go down, and 2) no matter how much we think our gear bulletproof, always have a back-up rig or system to CYA in this sort of emergency. Good thing the client was understanding, and you did have a spare body close by, but I will bet you drag the old one along more often now, even for quick "in-town" shooting ;-)

LJ

carstenw

Nice luck that you had a backup body and that everything came together. It makes me wonder what would have happened if the Phase back had packed it up though. Maybe you ought to add a DSLR for extreme emergencies... Or can you rent that quickly?

Don Libby

I've always said finding a good dealer is much like a good marriage or partnership where everyone looks out for the other. This is just another great example of the wonderful relationship CI offers to everyone.

Sorry to hear about the problem and glad you shared the experience. Hope all is well now.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Nice luck that you had a backup body and that everything came together. It makes me wonder what would have happened if the Phase back had packed it up though. Maybe you ought to add a DSLR for extreme emergencies... Or can you rent that quickly?
Well the backs going down are really rare but I would imagine can happen with any of them. Rentals are close by though with Nikon and Canon gear.

Clawery

We couldn't agree more :D You can pick up a Mamiya 645AFD w/ 80mm for $799.00. Now these won't be as fast w/ AF, but will get you by in a pinch.
We have some in stock.

Glad everything worked out for you Guy!!

Chris Lawery (Email Me)
Sales Manager
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It makes me wonder what would have happened if the Phase back had packed it up though. Maybe you ought to add a DSLR for extreme emergencies... Or can you rent that quickly?
It's called a film back :D

kdphotography

Good dealer support is worth its weight in gold---and is just as important as the initial investment. I went with Capture Integration too.

I'm glad it all worked out for you, Guy. But the absolute funniest thing is----Doug is answering his phone on a Friday night. I know personally that he answered his cell phone on another weekend evening from someone asking him about attaching a purple Holga to a P45+....

:D

QUOTE (Guy Mancuso @ Mar 20 2009, 11:52 AM)
Last Friday night March 13th ....Okay jump in car and make the call to superman....Doug Petterson is a great guy from Capture Integration.... I chatted with Doug to try and figure out some things.... I felt bad i know being a young single stud in South Beach he was out on a hunt for some action. LOL

fotografz

My worst nightmare. I know exactly what you felt Guy. Exactly.

Why is it that you can test the crap out of gear before heading to a job and it NEVER fails then ... instead waits until you're there. :angry:

The other odd thing is that the very minute you limit your options is WHEN that failure or some accident happens. It's uncanny. :wtf:

Now, you DO have to admit that you have a lot of juice, and only a suicidal idiot of a company would give you anything but the red carpet treatment. That's not meant to discount CI's service response ... which I am sure is top notch and equal opportunity. But like the Red Army, some may be more equal than others :ROTFL:

However, it does point up the value of maintaining the relationship value from the users end. It's a two way street.

LJL

Why is it that you can test the crap out of gear before heading to a job and it NEVER fails then ... instead waits until you're there. :angry:
This is why, when I used to play golf a lot, I never bothered with hitting the conventional bucket of balls for warm-up before playing. When a buddy asked me why, I politely informed him that I am of the belief that I only have a limited number of good shots, so why waste them on practice.:ROTFL:

LJ

P.S. Marc, like you I have tested stuff to the max in preparation. One time I did so many different test settings and stuff that I depleted the batteries just enough to have them die on a shoot. Spares saved me, but it was embarrassing to have to swap batteries just to get things moving....talk about looking unprepared.

Guy Mancuso

Exactly Marc and more the point I was driving home get to know your dealers and make that relationship work for all concerned. Even if you never have a issue after a sale always good to keep in contact with them and have that friendship going. When you need them than they will roll the red carpet out.

You know the old saying you get more with sugar than you do with spice. Honestly maybe the best advice in LIFE.

I admit i do have a great relationship with the folks at CI but i also worked at that too and folks should do the same with any dealer.

Guy Mancuso

We couldn't agree more :D You can pick up a Mamiya 645AFD w/ 80mm for $799.00. Now these won't be as fast w/ AF, but will get you by in a pinch.
We have some in stock.

Glad everything worked out for you Guy!!

Chris Lawery (Email Me)
Sales Manager
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195

Thanks Chris for the great response to a situation that we have not heard yet come up and my main reason I sent the e-mail to the folks at Phase as well to first know if it is a known issue and second to be aware for other reports if any coming in. Great service as usual. BTW i shipped the loaner back today.

LJL

Guy,
Your point is well taken, as in your case, it was not lack of preparedness or user error, but a genuine equipment break-down that was unforeseeable. Had you not had your working relationship with a good dealer, you may have been heading to the rental shop and hoping whatever Nikon or Canon you rented did not crap out also. Back-ups are critical, both in gear and S&S things.

LJ

Paul2660

Guy glad to see Phase came through for you. Did Mamiya mention
what the new version of firmware fixed on the body?

Paul Caldwell

Guy Mancuso

Guy glad to see Phase came through for you. Did Mamiya mention
what the new version of firmware fixed on the body?

Paul Caldwell
No Paul and I was thinking about that. I had 1.4 but not sure what 1.5 is and would like to know myself

J

jmvdigital

Not to turn this into a shameless plug for CI, but they have helped through a whole slew of equipment problems with 3 backs, a body, and one of my lenses. I think I finally have worked out all the kinks in the system, thanks to Doug and guys at CI. Definitely the best dealer experience I've had, regardless of the type of equipment.

-J

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No Paul and I was thinking about that. I had 1.4 but not sure what 1.5 is and would like to know myself
Firmware 1.4 --> 1.5 only added support for the P65+ to control the shutter speed and aperture of the Phase One 645, or Mamiya AFD II (if the AFDII has the latest firmware; there were two generations of AFDII firmware). It also claims to fix an autofocus+mirrorlockup issue, but I have not experienced this issue so I don't know what they would have fixed.

So if you have 1.4 and don't have a P65+ don't bother with 1.5.

For sure if you have 1.0-1.2 you should upgrade whenever you have a few business days to allow for the transaction. Contact your dealer for shipping instructions.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)