The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shape Shifter backpack

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mark I was looking at it when I got the Streetwalker pro and it was pretty unique in the design of it. You basically use sleeves to drop the gear in.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Mark,

I bought one when at PMA, because I also liked the concept and ergonomics.

However, I bought it for a DSLR kit. My Hassy just does not fit into the pockets.

Sorry,

Ray

mark1958

Guy and Ray... I was concerned about whether the medium format gear would fit or not and I like to leave my body attached to one lens while hiking. Seems like a great idea but not so great for my needs

harmsr

Workshop Member
Mark,

REALLY won't work with a lens attached, even with a DSLR. It is great to transport, but not set-up to work out of by leaving lenses attached. Once again, it just isn't set-up for any MF gear.

Best,

Ray

mark1958

I am wondering if anyone has compared the F64 to the larger Streetwalker harddrive by thinktank
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_StWlkrHD.php

I like the F64 but want something i can fit my gear and laptop when needed. The F64 is a bit wider and it seems like i never have enough space on the wide end. I cannot tolerate much taller since i am not that tall and the F64 length is really perfect for me.

mark1958

Well i settled on a thinktank acceleration v2. It is a bit bigger but I can try not to fill it up. I also like the way the Laptop fits into the case. Good for when i am traveling.

I recently crammed a ton of gear into my Gura Gear Kiboko bag:

http://blog.guragear.com/gura-gear-the-blog/2008/12/29/are-you-a-medium-format-shooter.html

Left Hand Side:

* Hasselblad 300mm f/4.5
* Hasselblad 35mm f/3.5
* Hasselblad 28mm f/4.0
* Metz flash
* Sekonic light meter

Righ Hand Side:

* Hasselblad H3DII 39 + 80mm f/2.8 lens
* Hasselblad 150mm f/3.2
* Hasselblad 1.7x teleconverter
* Hasselblad 50mm f/3.5
* Hasselblad Extra battery
* Pocket Wizard x 2
* Hasselblad 100mm f/2.2

Tons o gear!

(disclaimer: I own Gura Gear)

:)

mark1958

Andy.. I posted on LL that i had considered one of your bags but ---- you said they were out os stock for a few months?

fotografz

When it comes to MF gear transport ... if it ain't got wheels it ain't on the shopping list, or my back and shoulders go on strike.

I know you Mountain Men types need a backpack ... but man-o-man that is a heap 'o weight to be strapping to your back.

Kata has an interesting take on the dual need ... it has slip over sleeves and uses their Interfit dolly wheels for full transport.

I use one of their big system bags for the Hassey along with a smaller shoulder bag with waist harness that also slips over the dolly handle. The smaller bag is international airline sized and can use the same dolly by itself, then be slid off the dolly for shooting transport, or stowing on a smaller airplane. That bag carries a H3D-II with 100/2.2 mounted, a 150mm, 50mm, 28mm (or 35mm), 1.7X extender, 13mm tube, 5 grip batteries, charger, CF wallet, and Metz flash with spare batteries.

Lots of nice bags to select from these days.

Sorry about that, Mark. I actually have a small handful left in inventory for situations when people email or call me and really need a bag. I think I have 5 or 6 sitting around.

mark1958

Marc The Kata bags or any of the backpacks with wheels have too much basal weight. I have some back problems and i do have an thinktank with wheels as well that I tend to take when i am staying close to the car or in an environment where i do not have the trails to contend with. Once you start using dollies etc it gets more complex for airplane travel. I figure i have a few more years...

When it comes to MF gear transport ... if it ain't got wheels it ain't on the shopping list, or my back and shoulders go on strike.

I know you Mountain Men types need a backpack ... but man-o-man that is a heap 'o weight to be strapping to your back.

Kata has an interesting take on the dual need ... it has slip over sleeves and uses their Interfit dolly wheels for full transport.

I use one of their big system bags for the Hassey along with a smaller shoulder bag with waist harness that also slips over the dolly handle. The smaller bag is international airline sized and can use the same dolly by itself, then be slid off the dolly for shooting transport, or stowing on a smaller airplane. That bag carries a H3D-II with 100/2.2 mounted, a 150mm, 50mm, 28mm (or 35mm), 1.7X extender, 13mm tube, 5 grip batteries, charger, CF wallet, and Metz flash with spare batteries.

Lots of nice bags to select from these days.

mark1958

Now you tell me.. well I will use the one i got yesterday for a bit and if i have issues I will email you. It is not an emergency but I am going to CO in June and since it is tacked on to a family trip to LA, I want to pack as compact as possible to avoid checking any luggage. As a 1K on United i usually can get a bit of wiggle room but the first flight is on an airline i have no status with.

Andy you should try to distribute your bags such that we can try them on and see how they fit!!!

Sorry about that, Mark. I actually have a small handful left in inventory for situations when people email or call me and really need a bag. I think I have 5 or 6 sitting around.

Andy, that looks like a great bag you have designed. OBTW, I was in London last week and made it a point to go by the Natural History Museum to check out your photo in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition. Congratulations on winning the Wild Places category with your Skeleton Coast photo. I thoroughly enjoyed your photo as well as the others presented.

Mark