The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassey Lens repair

JimCollum

I just picked up a Hassey 50CF 2.8 for pretty much nothing. glass is perfect.. but the aperture doesn't stop down. all of the controls feel smooth, so i think it may be stuck open (lubricant?). Does anyone know someone who can work on these (interested in having it opened up to see if it just needs cleaning.. if there are parts involved, then i'd pass)

thanks!

jim

jlm

Workshop Member
did you try re-cocking the shutter in the lens? you rotate the little tab on the mating surface about 180 degrees (as i recall) it may get this way if someone removes and un cocked lens from the body

BlasR

Jim,

I will recommend Hasselblad in NJ.

best service, and they don't over charge at all.

Good Luck

BlasR

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jim:

Call Fred at International Camera Technicians in Mountain View ;)

carstenw

Isn't the CF an f/4? The f/2.8 would be an F or FE, as far as I know, i.e. shutterless. Not that this necessarily changes anything.

fotografz

Jim, please forgive me if this is too stupid of an answer.

If the lens is "off" the camera it doesn't stop down the aperture unless you push the stop down lever down (located just above and next to the two blue stripes.)

It has to be on the camera to stop down, and still won't do so unless you fire the camera or flip the stop down lever.

s.agar

If the lens is "off" the camera it doesn't stop down the aperture unless you push the stop down lever down (located just above and next to the two blue stripes.)

It has to be on the camera to stop down, and still won't do so unless you fire the camera or flip the stop down lever.
It's a common mistake. I hope the lens works this time too.

JimCollum

yea.. that's not the problem (i use the 110/2, so know about that 'mistake' :)
thanks to all who responded. i'll be trying the local guy in mountain view first.. then if that doesn't work, Steve's

jim