The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Lenses

Henry Goh

My only experience with Mamiya lenses was when I shot with the Super 23 some 30+ years ago. I'm now working on getting a few lenses for my P1 645 camera, which should be here in another week or so.

My first question is do I have to pay top $$$ and buy the latest "D" lenses in order to get sharp images? In some focal lengths, I will not really need AF so I could perhaps do with used or new MF versions. I hope to hear from you guys who have been using Mamiya glass on which lenses are better in acuity, color, bokeh etc.

Thanks for any info.

Dale Allyn

Hi Henry,

I own the 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 150mm, and 210mm, plus the 120mm macro "D". These are all of the previous generation (except the macro "D", of course), though all are AF. I say "previous", but in the case of the 35, 55, and 210 they are also the "current" version.

All are "good" though the 35mm is a bit softer than others (corners), as is the 45mm. The 55mm, 80mm, 150mm and 210mm that I own are pretty darn nice, though I would much rather have the 150mm f/2.8 "D". It's a very nice lens for much more money (and size and weight). The 80mm "D" is likely better than mine too, but my legacy 80 is very sharp. I'd prefer the on-lens clutch of manual focus control of the new "D" version. The 55mm is an excellent lens with good contrast, color and acuity. Most people seem to praise this lens, and I'm very happy with mine.

The 120 macros have a rep for being very good in each of their iterations, especially the last two.

The 45mm seems to be a bit of risk if you are fussy about corner sharpness, but I'm hearing and reading that the new version ("D") is also showing copy to copy variation and may be "iffy".

Jack mentions that there is some variation in the 210's too, but mine is very nice and I have read of mostly very favorable feeling regarding it. In fact, Jack's report of variation was the first that I had read of regarding the 210. I'm sure that his report is accurate for those copies he tested.

So, if one wants to shoot Mamiya without shooting the newest, expensive glass, there are some great values on "pre-D" models. Even the 80mm f/1.9 has a fun and sort of "dreamy" look, and can be had for just about $250ish.

I should add that I'm using my Mamiya with a Phase P25+ which tends to be kind to glass, and not using it wide open in most cases because this kit was put together for landscape mostly (couldn't justify a P45+ at the time). I shoot some shallow DoF stuff, but not so much with this kit, so I don't do a lot of shooting wide open with it. From what I've seen, the 150mm f/2.8 D has very nice bokeh – better than the older f/3.5 version, but the older one is not "harsh". One can also shoot hassy on the Mamiya (via adapter) for some other options as well.

In a better economy I'd get the 150mm f/2.8 D for it's character. And I really need to add the 75-150mm D for some landscape, but that's on hold too. The 75-150 would save me a lot of hassle in the field, so that sits highest on my list.

Others will surely have lots of info to share. I hope this is in some way helpful to you. Feel free to ask specific questions if you like.

Last edited:

Henry Goh

That's a bucket full of good info Dale. Thanks!

I also came across an 80mm f/4 macro. Wonder if you have heard anything about this lens?

Dale Allyn

Henry,

I don't know much about the 80mm, except that I believe that it's sort of analogous to Canon's 50mm macro, in that it it's a 1:2 lens unless the 1:1 spacer is used. There are times when a shorter focal length can be handy for shooting close-up or near-macros, so I wouldn't mind having such a lens in my kit. But I have done OK with the 80mm "normal" for some of this. Extension tubes would help in the case of the latter as well.

If you're shooting a specific item where the 80mm FL is of particular use, it might be nice to try.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dale has pretty much nailed it.

Re the 80 macro. First it is an f4 lens just like the 120, and next it needs the adapter to get to 1:1; finally while it is a very good lens, it really isn't as good as the 120 which is in all regards one of the best macros ever made. Another good option for macro on the Mamiya is getting the AF bellows. This is designed to use the 80 (or any other AF lens including the AF versions of the 120) in reverse, which delivers superior results from 1:2 to 2:1...

Another general comment: Virtually every white, APO or ULD Mamiya lens, manual or auto focus, is a stellar performer.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Re the 80 macro. First it is an f4 lens just like the 120, and next it needs the adapter to get to 1:1; finally while it is a very good lens, it really isn't as good as the 120 which is in all regards one of the best macros ever made. Another good option for macro on the Mamiya is getting the AF bellows. This is designed to use the 80 (or any other AF lens including the AF versions of the 120) in reverse, which delivers superior results from 1:2 to 2:1...

Another general comment: Virtually every white, APO or ULD Mamiya lens, manual or auto focus, is a stellar performer.
I heard that Mamiya was going to make a 100mm f/2.2 lens which was going to be stellar, but it turns out they ran out of white paint so they nixed the whole project.

*kidding*

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Henry Goh

Thank you Jack.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Mamiya 150mm F3.5 old version, pre-asph. Cheap as anything on eBay and sharper than most. I find it easy to get accurate focus on it too, though YMMV... it's one of the best value pieces of glass I ever owned...

Best

Tim

John Black

The Mamiya 80mm F2.8 AF with a 12mm tube is a great macro lens. I've used both the "D" and non-D version. Sharpness seems the same to me. The new "D" version has a bluer coloring, white is closer to pure white. As mentioned earlier, the on-lens clutch for switching between AF / MF is a huge improvement over the original 80mm AF. The only downside to the 80mm AF (D or non-D) is its bokeh can be lacking at times. For sharpness and contrast, the lens is excellent. For bokeh, so-so.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Everything has really already been said, but I must add that the 75-150 mm is THE best all-round performer. Even at it's closest focussing distance, mine challenges the Macro D.
See the 2/3 frame below, then the closest flowers. This was at f16, P45+.
Bill

Last edited:

Henry Goh

Mamiya 150mm F3.5 old version, pre-asph. Cheap as anything on eBay and sharper than most. I find it easy to get accurate focus on it too, though YMMV... it's one of the best value pieces of glass I ever owned...

Best

Tim
Tim,

Thanks for th tip.

Henry Goh

The Mamiya 80mm F2.8 AF with a 12mm tube is a great macro lens. I've used both the "D" and non-D version. Sharpness seems the same to me. The new "D" version has a bluer coloring, white is closer to pure white. As mentioned earlier, the on-lens clutch for switching between AF / MF is a huge improvement over the original 80mm AF. The only downside to the 80mm AF (D or non-D) is its bokeh can be lacking at times. For sharpness and contrast, the lens is excellent. For bokeh, so-so.
John,

Thanks. I'll look for that tube.

Henry Goh

Everything has really already been said, but I must add that the 75-150 mm is THE best all-round performer. Even at it's closest focussing distance, mine challenges the Macro D.
See the 2/3 frame below, then the closest flowers. This was at f16, P45+.
Bill
Bill,

Thanks for posting this example. I hear all the new D lenses to be very sharp. The only thing with the zoom is its weight. I guess as I get older also get weaker.

dogstarnyc

Hi Henry,

Glad to see you going the Maimiya Phase way.....

I recently made the switch and am loving it, this site has some terrific members full of great advice, also these lenses are really good value so you can buy one, play around with it, keep it or sell it until you find your niche'.

good luck and enjoy it...

S

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Dale hit this pretty well and i can only confirm my choices and experiences with Mamiya glass. I also agree with Jack anything white is great the Manual 200 2.8 and the 300 AF 4.5 is also killer . I shoot all my runway stuff with the 300mm and those images are all over the site among everything else, suggest look at threads I started in MF section. The 150 and 80 D are excellent examples of lenses and they resolve the finest details even with the P65 plus and so did the 28mmD which i really like and have done several high end interiors with and got excellent results. Extreme corners can be a issue and most of that is the curvature of the lens. There are corrections for that now in C1 and looks promising. The 35mm can have issues as well but I have a killer copy of it. Sleeper lens is the 55mm AF. Really sharp and again I have a excellent copy of that as well. My kit as of today is this 28,35,55,80 d,150 d and the 300 AF 4.5 if I switched backs to the P30 plus which i am trying to do , my P25 plus is up for sale actually than i would sell my 35 and 55 and get the new 45D lens since it will be a nice fit with the 28mm and 80 around it. I also like the 210mm and may get one also , still debating that with the P30 plus setup and selling the 300mm. I use these long lenses for a very particular job I do twice a year and I need speed and sharp wide open for that. The 300mm nails it every time as well as the 80 and 150 D glass.

P. Chong

very interesting discussion on M645 lenses...thanks.

Would anybody be able to weigh in on RZ67 or RB67 lenses?

Frank Doorhof

Hi,
I own the :
55-110
120Macro
105-210
80 f2.8
80 f1.9

I also owned the 150 but sold that one.
I like all the lenses but think the 120mm macro and 105-210 are stellar.

the 55-110 must be my worst lens, it's not a sharp and contrasty as the other ones.
I tested the 75-150 and absolutly loved that lens but it's a strange lens for me, 75 is not wide enough and 150 is not tele enough. To be honest it's in a range I don't use that often when walking arround.
For portrait/fashion work it's a great lens but I will always opt for the 105-210 for that.

The 35 is often regarded as so-so but I think I have a nice copy, for what I use it for it's very nice, corner sharpness is little less but it's not as bad as some will make you believe :D

Looking forward to the leaf shutter lenses.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
How do I know whether I have the new -D lenses or the old ones? Currently I have the 28, 80, 75-150 and 120 macro here.

Ebe

I have, 35AF, 55AF, 80AF, 120-D, 150AF-D, 210AF, 300AF
My order by image quality only, not use is
150 & 120 tied for first place
80 & 55 second
210 & 300 tier 3
35 nice but not like the others.

Phase p30 for ref.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

How do I know whether I have the new -D lenses or the old ones? Currently I have the 28, 80, 75-150 and 120 macro here.
The "D" lenses are all marked as such - the 28 and 120 on the barrel, the 75-150 on the lens ring around the front element.

However, the 28 and the 75-150 are only made as "D" lenses, so yours are bound to be "D". The 80 and the 120 will be marked if they are "D". I think the 120 Macro "D" is exactly the same optically but has more contacts for exif info.

The 35, 55, 210 and 300 are not "D" lenses, though they're superb anyway - well, maybe not the 35 - it's good but not superb imho.

Bill