The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travels with the Phase One P65+ with Sensor+

kdphotography

I've been pretty busy since my return from Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly shooting with Don Libby (Iron Creek Photography)---and finally updated my blog, including my thougths on the Phase One P65+ with Sensor+. It's actually a multi-part blog entry.

My blog can be found here: www.kendoophotography.wordpress.com

I thought some might be interested in seeing a few images from my trip. It's also the first time that someone who "recognized" Don and me out at Canyon de Chelly---didn't instead confuse us for Jack and Guy!

:ROTFL:

(true joke!)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Nice entry Ken! I'm surprised at how often you were able to advantageously use Sensor+ in a landscape situations.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

kdphotography

Nice entry Ken! I'm surprised at how often you were able to advantageously use Sensor+ in a landscape situations.

Actually, I was surprised myself too. I think a lot of people "overlooked" the advantages or flexibility of Sensor+ technology---myself included. Afterall, the P65+ is about the ability to make great big beautiful and detailed images. But to be honest, I think the Sensor+ feature enabled me to get some images that I would not otherwise have (and I'm not packing another camera system ala 1DsMkIII or 5D II!). I now appreciate having the Sensor+ flexibility of the P65+ a bit more.

I initially poo-poo'd the fifteen megapixels of resolution when Sensor+ is enabled. But no more. The difference is that the quality of those megapixels over a FF medium format sensor is really good. I just printed some images on Hahn's new Bamboo fine art paper---and they look great.

Ken

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually, I was surprised myself too. I think a lot of people "overlooked" the advantages or flexibility of Sensor+ technology---myself included. Afterall, the P65+ is about the ability to make great big beautiful and detailed images. But to be honest, I think the Sensor+ feature enabled me to get some images that I would not otherwise have (and I'm not packing another camera system ala 1DsMkIII or 5D II!). I now appreciate having the Sensor+ flexibility of the P65+ a bit more.

I initially poo-poo'd the fifteen megapixels of resolution when Sensor+ is enabled. But no more. The difference is that the quality of those megapixels over a FF medium format sensor is really good. I just printed some images on Hahn's new Bamboo fine art paper---and they look great.

Ken
Ken,

really great stuff, like your feedback very much indeed!

How big can you print these Sensor + enabled images, or how big did you print them already? What would be the limit here if you want high quality prints?

Thanks for sharing!

kdphotography

I've only printed one "Sensor+" image---and that was last night on Hahnemuhle Bamboo. This paper is very nice, but scuffs easily even after spraying with Premier Art Spray. I have not printed very large---only a 16x20 and a 11x14---so have not pushed the limits of the file by any means. We'll see.....

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ken,

really great stuff, like your feedback very much indeed!

How big can you print these Sensor + enabled images, or how big did you print them already? What would be the limit here if you want high quality prints?

Thanks for sharing!
My personal tests put them a bit ahead of a 1Ds III. The test was not rigorously scientific, but honestly I was not shocked. We're talking about starting with sharp medium format glass and then downsizing from 60 megapixels to 15 megapixels. The sharpness, dynamic range, and noise were all phenomenal and enlarging in Genuine Fractals produced really great results.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My personal tests put them a bit ahead of a 1Ds III. The test was not rigorously scientific, but honestly I was not shocked. We're talking about starting with sharp medium format glass and then downsizing from 60 megapixels to 15 megapixels. The sharpness, dynamic range, and noise were all phenomenal and enlarging in Genuine Fractals produced really great results.

Some of my landscape work I want to print from these goes up to 60x40 or even 80x60. Do you think that you can enlarge up till this size?

Or if not what would be the limit?

I need good quality, but I myself as well as my clients do not stand close to the print with a loupe and look for pixels. So I consider normal viewing distance like a few meters.

S

S.P.

Some of my landscape work I want to print from these goes up to 60x40 or even 80x60. Do you think that you can enlarge up till this size?

I need good quality, but I myself as well as my clients do not stand close to the print with a loupe and look for pixels. So I consider normal viewing distance like a few meters.
You can print this size also with the files of your 5DmII.

I have just printed a picture on a Epson 9900 in the size 100x150cm - absolutly perfect quality. It was shoot with my D700. :D

Clawery

Ken
Ken,

It's great to see Sensor + in real world situations working so well. I truly think it will be an invaluable tool for many photographers.

So.. Guy.. put you down for a P65+?

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)

kdphotography

You can print this size also with the files of your 5DmII.

I have just printed a picture on a Epson 9900 in the size 100x150cm - absolutly perfect quality.

Perfect quality.....until you see the same image shot with a MFDB, side by side. :bugeyes: :LOL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ken,

It's great to see Sensor + in real world situations working so well. I truly think it will be an invaluable tool for many photographers.

So.. Guy.. put you down for a P65+?

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)

Well love to have one that is for sure. Of course like to keep my wife around also if I did buy one. Kind of a conflict there :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

kdphotography

Hi Peter,

I do like to print large----and certainly at these sizes you would want to take advantage of every bit of resolution that your MFDB sensor has to offer. And yes, I do have several of those eight foot panos printed with my previous MFDBs... No doubt the P65+ takes it up a notch, but the question is how well would the reduced resolution Sensor+ images handle enlargement?

I am not one of those that likes to do an excessive amount of post-processing. I do not have programs like Genuine Fractals---nor will I go in that direction. And yes, I am one of those people that likes to get close to my prints----and so do my clients (at least initially when they first purchase a print). So I don't follow the "viewing distance" mantra closely.

I think you're gonna make me dig out that roll of 44" Epson lustre..... I'll see if I can run one of my Sensor+ images out at 40" wide by ___" and see how well it prints. Certainly subject matter will impact how big you can print. I'll try and print something out this weekend----certainly not definitive, but at least it may give you an idea of the quality of the Sensor+ file.

Those that are capable printers or people like Doug (who dream subconsciously in high-tech mathematical/scientific equations) or use programs like Genuine Fractals may be able to eek out larger prints.

Ken