The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rm3d here for real?

stephengilbert

"Presedate with Rau of course that the picture circles of the objectives also distinguish." Blimey. Who said computers can't translate into clear English? That is meant to be English, right?

Last edited:
"Presedate with Rau of course that the picture circles of the objectives also distinguish." Blimey. Who said computers can't translate into clear English? That is meant to be English, right?
I tried a few more online translators; some were definitely better than others, but they all missed in quite a few places. If you could take the best bits from each you might end up with something coherent.

Mind you, we are talking about an interview with a technical slant - the translators would possibly fare better with plainer speech.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'll believe it when a member here actually has a working model with desired lenses in their own hands...

PeterA

Arca Swiss is such a weird weird weird company - I am fascinated! LOL

I called the Australian distributor this morning - they are in Perth 4000kms away on other side of Australia. they promised to get back to me ..hahaha maybe I will hear tomorrow!

Th ecamea 'looks' the real deal..nodal point shooting easier than others..compact in built elegant looking tilt..and a hell of lot chaeper than teh Sinar arTec.

I want to try one out.

Paratom

Th ecamea 'looks' the real deal..nodal point shooting easier than others..compact in built elegant looking tilt..and a hell of lot chaeper than teh Sinar arTec.

I want to try one out.
IMO the advantage of the Sinar is the sliding adapter with integrated loupe. I would think if one wants to tilt often and to precisly focus this would be more compfortable than switching between groundglass and digiback manually.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Me too. Someone from Arca send Jack this camera and let him test it for all of us. No marketing but a real user report is what forum members want to hear.

PeterA

IMO the advantage of the Sinar is the sliding adapter with integrated loupe. I would think if one wants to tilt often and to precisly focus this would be more compfortable than switching between groundglass and digiback manually.
The R-Line has a built-in
Micro-Precision helical focus mount, onto which a rich
selection of high-performance lenses can be attached through
an exclusive bayonet mount. Subject distance and depth-offield
can be measured electronically and displayed on an LCD.
Leveling is done either electronically or through precise spirit
levels. The unique viewer, Vario-Finder, is for lenses with a
focal length from 23 to 210mm.
The Rm3d and the RL3d have
individual self-locking AIP shift movements for the X and Y
axes, which are in the same film plane. Additionally, the cameras
offer a tilt mechanism for optimizing sharpness.

I am making inquiries about what exactly is meant by 'measured electronically and displayed on an LCD'. I am also interested to find out exactly what the difference is between the various RM types..

The arTec is a nice piece of equipment and now has a gear driven tilt function (lack of which was a flaw in the original design)

In either case I am unconvinced about using a fresnel with 3X magnifying loop to achieve anything much - the viewing area is too small. Another concern I have with the Sinar is the actual sliding device - more complexity = more that can go wrong.

Finally - I am not a big fan of the Sinar's point of attachment to a tripod. I dont need their built in rotating base...which makes the mounting of panorama rails and nodal point rails - less than elegant and in fact down right ungainly.

At any rate it isnt rocket science focusing wides on technical cameras - if you get a chance have a look at the distance scales on Schneider or a Rodenstock - you will see what I mean. Also I find DOF tables amazingly insightful...eg what do you think the DOF of 'acceptable focus' is with a 35mm Schneider at F11?

I am hoping that Arca's eccentric lack of web site and readily available information - may be one of those contra indicator situations - where the company's deficiency in one area is more than made up by the excellence of the product.

Subject distance and depth-offield
can be measured electronically and displayed on an LCD.
Leveling is done either electronically or through precise spirit
levels. The unique viewer, Vario-Finder, is for lenses with a
focal length from 23 to 210mm.

I am making inquiries about what exactly is meant by 'measured electronically and displayed on an LCD'.
Peter,

I'm not sure which bits these are, but there are more pictures of what you are talking about here:

http://www.arca-shop.de/download/Bilder/arca_8.jpg
http://www.arca-shop.de/download/Bilder/arca_9.jpg
http://www.arca-shop.de/download/Bilder/arca_10.jpg
http://www.arca-shop.de/download/Bilder/arca_12.jpg

PeterA

Thanks for the link - I didnt see the download section in that shop ...I guess one must have an account there?

The viewfinder looks like it has a handy DOF table attached ...interesting..

T@

Thanks for the link - I didnt see the download section in that shop ...I guess one must have an account there?

The viewfinder looks like it has a handy DOF table attached ...interesting..

T@
No account, just dig a little... the links are in the German pages.

I thought the DOF table was the scrolling part below the finder, but haven't yet thought what the tables on the top are, especially if it has an LCD readout?

I am also interested to find out exactly what the difference is between the various RM types..
I couldn't work out what you meant by this, then I remembered: if you're looking at the shop pictures, they seem to be showing a picture of the Rm3d on the Rl3d page also.

The Rl3d is 5x4, but I have not yet seen anything to show how the 'system' will work.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Call me cynical, but I'll believe it when one of our members here has a working copy in their own hands...

:rolleyes:

PeterA

Jury is out on anything from Arca Jack - even the distributors down here are frustrated re communication and they have been working with teh compnay for 30 years!.:ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have I mentioned I'll believe it when one of us actually has it in our hands?

:)D)