The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P40 Plus back

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The P20 and P21 images I have seen are pretty damn nice. I think it uses the same sensor as my old P25 Plus. Can't beat that with a stick

carstenw

Re: Phase One P45 Plus back

The Phase One H and P series digital backs all use 16-bit A/D convertors. The P series uses a more modern, tighter spec'd model and the + series uses a slightly better data path (but I'll be the first to say the real-world difference + to non plus at base ISO, short exposure, is negligible).
The H backs don't have monitors, do they? I would want something portable. But realistically, I don't expect any of the backs you mention to come it at around €3000-3500, which is my max hypothetical budget if I can sell my Leica WATE for a decent price. And if I were to buy from you, which I would love to do, then I would also pay import fees plus VAT, another 25% or so in total, thus removing it even further from the realm of the possible. Even if the back was cheap enough to do all this at that price, I would still need (for the H, since I presume the P is out of the question) some kind of drive/screen thing to view the images as I take them, if that even exists for this back. And do they work with Mac OS X Leopard?

I kinda feel that the A900 is about all I can scrape together for for many months. The Kodak is about the only back I have seen which comes in at my budget, possibly except for some of the older Ixpress backs. Phases are still expensive, even used, and I think my honorary Danish status doesn't get me a break there ;) Tight year with the crisis.

D

ddk

Re: Phase One P45 Plus back

The H backs don't have monitors, do they? I would want something portable. But realistically, I don't expect any of the backs you mention to come it at around €3000-3500, which is my max hypothetical budget if I can sell my Leica WATE for a decent price. And if I were to buy from you, which I would love to do, then I would also pay import fees plus VAT, another 25% or so in total, thus removing it even further from the realm of the possible. Even if the back was cheap enough to do all this at that price, I would still need (for the H, since I presume the P is out of the question) some kind of drive/screen thing to view the images as I take them, if that even exists for this back. And do they work with Mac OS X Leopard?

I kinda feel that the A900 is about all I can scrape together for for many months. The Kodak is about the only back I have seen which comes in at my budget, possibly except for some of the older Ixpress backs. Phases are still expensive, even used, and I think my honorary Danish status doesn't get me a break there ;) Tight year with the crisis.
The Kodak is even better than you think, yes its slow compared to the newer backs but IQ is wonderful and so are the colors and contrast. I have two and never parting with them in spite of owning several other current, higher spec'd digital backs. FYI I use them with a Contax 645.

D

ddk

Do you still use them, even with newer backs??? What for?
Primarily I shoot people so rendering and look are a lot more important to me than ultimate resolution, which I sometimes have to fight with my new backs. Kodak files have their own look and feel which are very different to the Leaf and Phase ones, the lower rez and its specific tonal range are complimentary for portrait work. This might not make sense to an architectural or landscape shooter but portrait photographers will sympathize. The square format is nice to use too at times.

carstenw

I love the square format, and if a larger back was available, I would probably be buying a 203FE and selling the Contax, but given my options, the Contax is a better solution. I would rather own a 22MP 36x48 back than a 36x36 square, but I have to see what I can afford. I am selling my WATE, and am considering selling my 35 Lux ASPH, which I never liked as much as the 50 Lux ASPH. Hard decision though, because I use it more than my other lenses. Maybe I'll replace it with a much more affordable 35/2 IV or the new Summarit. Anyway, that will raise some money to open up some options.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The DCS proback was stellar, at least at low ISO. 37x37 square with 9u sensuls... I often think about picking one up since I already have a spare Mamiya AFD body and it would make for a second complete system...

kdphotography

I used a Kodak Proback 645M for quite some time---it was (and still is) a great MFDB for portraiture. The Custom Looks module by kodak (extra) was excellent---basically the same type of different profiles at a mouse click----something that C1 Pro is just now getting....

D

ddk

I used a Kodak Proback 645M for quite some time---it was (and still is) a great MFDB for portraiture. The Custom Looks module by kodak (extra) was excellent---basically the same type of different profiles at a mouse click----something that C1 Pro is just now getting....
And unlike Leaf's or C1's profiles/looks they're useable and easy to comprehend!

Paratom

... I would rather own a 22MP 36x48 back than a 36x36 square, but I have to see what I can afford...
Before I got my back I was evaluating the Hassy CFV-back. Today I am glad I have the larger/wider sensor. And you can allways crop to square. (Even though I have seen some very nice images from the cfv here) ;)

carstenw

The CFV is also very attractive, but way over-priced. The only way it makes sense is as the kit with the 40 CF IF, but that is a lot of dosh to hand over. In general I find Hasselblad's CFV/CFVII/CF line very over-priced, almost as if Hasselblad doesn't want anyone buying them.

Paratom

The CFV is also very attractive, but way over-priced. The only way it makes sense is as the kit with the 40 CF IF, but that is a lot of dosh to hand over. In general I find Hasselblad's CFV/CFVII/CF line very over-priced, almost as if Hasselblad doesn't want anyone buying them.
I agree - plus you pay a lot for a wide lens (40 CF IF) without being able to use it as a wide lens.